Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Robin Trower - A Tale Untold

Go down 
+11
exact33
manny
MetalGuy71
EvyMetal
stepcousin
Addy
Ricky
SAHB Healer
Troublezone
chewie
Wargod
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Empty
PostSubject: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 6:51 pm

I know there are a few Robin Trower fans like me. his early stuff is phenominal he was at his best back in the 70's and is still doing it today.

Does anyone have this 3 cd set Robin Trower - A Tale Untold The Chrysalis Years 1973-1976? Basically this is a retrospective of those years with some live materail, studio material from those days, fantastic stuff.

Wargod52
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 8:14 pm

Been meaning to pick that up but haven't had the funds as of yet.

I have the remastered version of Bridge Of Sighs, plus most of those twofers that came out in the 90's. Eventually I'll get the box set and sell the individual discs.

Robin Trower is easily one of my favorite guitarists of all time, same goes for James Dewar's voice, what a talent!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 pm

I haven't updated my lps to cds... That could be interesting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:50 pm

The box set actually has the following LP's in their entirety:

Twice Removed From Yesterday
Bridge of Sighs
For Earth Below
Live
Long Misty Days

plus a variety of bonus singles.

A perfect collection of music, not a single bad album in that batch.

I'm hoping for a followup collection to complete his Chrysalis run.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 6:06 am

He's one of the best Hendrix influenced players ever. I had one of his compilations once. (the one with wave on the cover)
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 6:45 pm

That's tempting. I have most of that era but I might pick this up if I can find a good price. Trower with Dewar was about as good as music gets IMO. I've listened to those regularly for 35 years now and I never get sick of them. My Ipod gives me a dose of Trower almost every day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 7:32 pm

That box is only $30 new. I think that's a pretty good price for 6 albums of material + bonus tracks.
Back to top Go down
Ricky
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ricky

Number of posts : 255

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 11:12 pm

sounds like a good set
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 10:45 am

I actually have a Robin Trower CD Ive liked what i heard, I had a former customer turn me on to him years ago
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 5:42 pm

detuned wrote:

Bridge of Sighs
For Earth Below
Live

I'm a big fan. Recently I found these albums on vinyl. Score!
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 8:17 pm

I have Bridge Of Sighs on vinyl. Used to be my dad's. This Box set would be a great gift for him at one point.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 2:27 am

Ok I bought this. I can't afford it, but my Trower Cds are mostly the original late 80's editions, crappy sound to begin with and now worn as well. So I need a new set, don't I?
Yeah, that's the ticket. Plus I passed up buying that bottle of wine that I was thinking about, so I deserve to get this. I think I've done the right thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 2:38 am

Awesome! Please let us know how the sound is, I'll be picking it up as soon as the budege allows.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 12:36 pm

As someone that only owns 2 Trower discs, Bridge of Sighs and Essential, where would the next logical step be if I wanted to expand my collection a wee bit?

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 1:13 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
As someone that only owns 2 Trower discs, Bridge of Sighs and Essential, where would the next logical step be if I wanted to expand my collection a wee bit?

Honestly, the best bet is to sell the 2 discs you have and get these two budget priced boxed sets:

A Tale Untold (1973-76)
http://www.amazon.com/Tale-Untold-Chrysalis-Years-1973-1976/dp/B003OPUZYO/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1362075046&sr=1-3&keywords=robin+trower

and

Further On Up The Road (1977-1983)
http://www.amazon.com/Farther-Up-Road-Chrysalis-Years/dp/B006VBGA1K/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1362075046&sr=1-5&keywords=robin+trower

You can get both box sets for under $15 a piece on Amazon and they contain 10 complete albums he recorded between 1973 and 1983. This is the cream of the crop era and frankly they are all worth owning.

In addition, many of these albums aren't available as single discs, the only other option are the early 90s twofers from BGO and those are basically the same price as one of these boxes.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Don't know if I'm quite ready to go that balls-deep into Mr. Trower's discography, but I'll certainly take it under considderation. Thanks.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 1:55 pm

" Bridge of Sighs' is just a perfect album and as much as I love his guitar playing, what really sells me on those songs is vocalist/bassist James Dewar.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 2:49 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Don't know if I'm quite ready to go that balls-deep into Mr. Trower's discography, but I'll certainly take it under considderation. Thanks.

Based on how difficult the single releases are to get of his classic material, the expense of the import twofers and the budget price of those box sets it's kind of a no-brainer. Good sound on those collections too, much better than the early Chrysalis discs which are difficult to find and over-priced used.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 8:44 pm

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Honestly, the best bet is to sell the 2 discs you have and get these two budget priced boxed sets:

A Tale Untold (1973-76)
http://www.amazon.com/Tale-Untold-Chrysalis-Years-1973-1976/dp/B003OPUZYO/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1362075046&sr=1-3&keywords=robin+trower

and

http://www.amazon.com/Farther-Up-Road-Chrysalis-Years/dp/B006VBGA1K/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1362075046&sr=1-5&keywords=robin+trower

You can get both box sets for under $15 a piece on Amazon and they contain 10 complete albums he recorded between 1973 and 1983. This is the cream of the crop era and frankly they are all worth owning.

In addition, many of these albums aren't available as single discs, the only other option are the early 90s twofers from BGO and those are basically the same price as one of these boxes.

ooooo.... i am very tempted by this.

journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 11:47 pm

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

A Tale Untold (1973-76)

and

Thanks..... from none to 10. I had Bridge of Sighs on cassette awhile back.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 9:13 pm

S.D. wrote:

Bridge of Sighs
For Earth Below
Live
Long Misty Days

A perfect collection of music, not a single bad album in that batch.

I have all of these on vinyl and I agree that they are a great era of RT music.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 10:02 am

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

A Tale Untold (1973-76)

and

You can get both box sets for under $15 a piece on Amazon and they contain 10 complete albums he recorded between 1973 and 1983.  This is the cream of the crop era and frankly they are all worth owning.

I got both of the above and these are excellent. Thanks for the heads up!

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 10:44 am

Glad you're enjoying them!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 1:06 pm

My Dad was a huge Trower fan in the 70's, and I when I started listening to Bridge of Sighs I completely understood why. Other than Clapton I don't think I've heard such passionate and liquid blues rock, and his bottom end is so heavy. Thinking about scoring those boxed sets.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Robin is still releasing fine albums to this day.  

I'm especially fond of the album "What Lies Beneath" from 2009.

Robin Trower - A Tale Untold 61o9Say2ACL._SL500_AA280_
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - A Tale Untold   Robin Trower - A Tale Untold Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Robin Trower - A Tale Untold
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next