Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Government Mule

Go down 
+2
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 11:31 am

I wrote these guys off as Allman clones but i've listened to some newer stuff and it's really good. Anyone hear a real fan and can give suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 11:44 am

I love them, everything they've done. I'm not too familiar with Allman, though, so I can't really say whether or not they're clones. Either way, they're an excellent band.

Except Mighty High. That album is a bit...weird. Reggae and dub mixes of old Mule tracks? Not really my thing, but some tracks are good.

The rest of their stuff is fantastic, though.
Back to top Go down

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 1:49 pm

I knew you'd have input, thanks man. Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 2:04 pm

I put them in the same Allman Bros.-southern rock-jam band category judging by the very little I heard from them. Talented bunch, but not really my bag.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 11:15 am

Since Warren Haynes played with the Allman Brothers from 89' to 97' Left to concentrate fully on Gov't Mule untill Bass player Allen Woody passed in August, 2000. Then rejoined and still plays with them. It isn't much of a stretch to toss in the ABB comparison. Though IMHO, you'll get more of a harder edge from Mule than ABB and less jazzy stuff. The blues is a common thread between both bands, as well as doing covers in the live sets. Though Mule is a bit more diverse in choices. They will do Sabbath, Zeppelin, and Humble Pie.

I'd start off with Gov't Mule and Dose to check out the trio aspect and get The Deepest End DVD
Lots of guests and great music on that. It is a tribute for the late Allen Woody.

Before the ABB reunion in 89' for the album Seven Turns. Warren played on Dickey Betts' "Pattern Disruptive" in 1988. Uncharacteristic for Betts, being it had NO country flavor, a bit of blues, and lots of rock.

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 11:32 am

cool Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 12:21 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
cool Thanks for the info.

you're welcome

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Warren's solo albums are also worth checking out.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 7:51 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Warren's solo albums are also worth checking out.

I saw him "solo" acoustic opening for The Dead in 2004 )since he was playing guitar for them it was a kewl "difference".

Aside from Gov't Mule and The Allman Brothers Band. Warren has The Warren Haynes Band as well.

Busy and talented dude, fer sures !

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 12:34 pm

Picked up Mulennium. Ok, they pick some different covers but they nail them.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:13 pm

Get Dose. It's excellent!
Back to top Go down
sistakim
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 2

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:05 am

They're taking a year off of regular touring however, Gov't Mule can be seen at a couple annual music fests this spring/summer. All the band members are working on interesting side projects. Warren Haynes is an amazingly hard working, talented, down to earth musician. He has several irons in the fire at all times, he just never stops and he gets better and better with age. He's got a solo album ready for release in May and he's touring with his Warren Haynes All Star Band. I can't say enough about the other band members as well, all top of the line musicians. Catch a Gov't Mule show in 2012 if you can, you'll love it. They are consistently great and 100% professional. They always give their all. The last time I saw them, Yonder Mountain String Band opened for their free show at U of I, Iowa City. God, that was fun!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 1:14 pm

You part of their street-team or something?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 6:47 pm

Govt. Mule is awesome to me they are a bit heavier than the Allman Brothers band.

The Allmans were more of a blues based rock band put they actually were more focused bluesy country vibe early on but progressed into more of a blues based rock band.

Warren Haynes is was and alway will be Govt. Mule he is a fantastic guitar player and songwriter. He has done stuff with the Allman Brothers band. But his best stuff is with Govt. Mule.

His solo material is just as good, Warren likes to do alot of benefit concerts which are on cd.

You can't go wrong with either Govt. Mule, The Allman Brothers, or Warren Haynes all are good.

I'm a huge Allman Brothers Band fan especially early material with Duane Allman you could definitely tell his influence in the band he was The Allman Brothers but after he died thewy dfrifted to more of a commercial bluesy country style.

Wargod52
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:47 am

Hey Wargod:

Try to find a copy of "Pattern Disruptive" by Dicky Betts. Warren plays on it. Warren also played on a COC album too.

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm really enjoying this.
Back to top Go down
sistakim
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 2

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 4:46 pm

Warren got his professional start way back in the 70s with David Allan Coe. He was 2nd guitar and back up in songs like "Take This Job and Shove It."
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 8:12 pm

James B. wrote:
Hey Wargod:

Try to find a copy of "Pattern Disruptive" by Dicky Betts. Warren plays on it. Warren also played on a COC album too.

I'll look for it! Thanx!

Wargod52
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Government Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Government Mule   Government Mule Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Government Mule
Page 1 of 1