Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gov't Mule

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Gov't Mule Empty
PostSubject: Gov't Mule   Gov't Mule Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 8:15 pm

Anyone into this band? One of my oldest friends has been telling me to get into this band since their debut, but she's a big Grateful Dead fan and for some reason I always dumped Gov't Mule into that category. And I don't like the Grateful Dead at all. So recently I suggested she check out John Butler Trio, who was playing a show in San Diego, right by her house. She said she would go...if I checked out Gov't Mule. So we struck a deal.

Today I picked up Deja Voodoo, a 2-disc set that includes a hard-to-find EP called Mo' Voodoo. I've listened to this thing about seven times today, and I must say, I'm pretty damn impressed. This is nothing like what I expected. It's just good old rockin' southern rock. I really dig it. I'm also a little irked that I didn't check them out back when the first album came out because it looks like they've got a pretty big fan base and their album don't go for $0.99 on eBay. Pffft! So this'll set me off into a buying frenzy...and I sure do hate those. Haha.

Anyway, figured I'd toss this out here, see if there were any fans. If not, anyone got any of their albums to trade?
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Gov't Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gov't Mule   Gov't Mule Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 11:40 pm

I don't have any of their albums, but there was a really cool song that came out a couple of years ago by them. Probably 4 or 5 years ago, and I loved it. For whatever reason, I never got around to buying the album.

Not sure if it was a hit anywhere else, but the last town I lived in, the rock station there played it a lot. Of course, the music programmer/DJ as supposedly close friends with them, so I'm sure that had something to do with the airplay. Razz
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Gov't Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gov't Mule   Gov't Mule Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 11:49 pm

Govt Mule is an awesome band but they are more blues in nature, Warren Haynes a great guitar player check out his solo work as well!

Wargod48

NP: Silverdollar - Evil Never Sleeps
Back to top Go down

Gov't Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gov't Mule   Gov't Mule Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2007 12:20 am

Wargod48 wrote:
Govt Mule is an awesome band but they are more blues in nature, Warren Haynes a great guitar player check out his solo work as well!
Yeah, I hear the blues, too. I didn't expect an endorsement from you! I thought you were all metal. Anyway, I'm definitely diggin' this album. Hopefully I can find some used albums around here. I have a feeling, though, that the used copies will be fairly expensive.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Gov't Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gov't Mule   Gov't Mule Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2007 2:48 am

Govt Mule are a fantastic group, my friend hooked me up with almost all of their albums. Awesome blues in the same vein as The Allman Brothers, in fact Warren Hayes often plays lead guitar with the Allman's, when the two bands tour together(he also plays for The Dead, on occasion).

Eyesore wrote:
Hopefully I can find some used albums around here. I have a feeling, though, that the used copies will be fairly expensive.

They are stupidly expensive used, but a lot of the discs are being re-released so the new ones are cheaper.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Gov't Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gov't Mule   Gov't Mule Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2007 7:09 am

Brilliant band and probably the most important southern rock band post the glory days (70's-80's).
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Gov't Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gov't Mule   Gov't Mule Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2007 9:06 am

Eyesore wrote:
Wargod48 wrote:
Yeah, I hear the blues, too. I didn't expect an endorsement from you! I thought you were all metal. Anyway, I'm definitely diggin' this album. Hopefully I can find some used albums around here. I have a feeling, though, that the used copies will be fairly expensive.

Nope not all metal, the other side of me is blues in nature. I actually attend more blues fests than metal ones. I have a blues collection of around 1000 cds!
Blues are like metal very underground, if ya dig Govt Mule check out Michael Hills Blues Mob, Chris Duarte, Tinsley ellis, Coco Montoya, Walter Trout, Shawn Pittman, Dave Hole, Kelly Richie (best female blues guitarist), Angela Strehli...........

You can check my site out here for blues! http://www.myspace.com/blues_forever

Wargod48
Back to top Go down

Gov't Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gov't Mule   Gov't Mule Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2007 11:06 pm

[quote="spiritoradio"]Govt Mule are a fantastic group, my friend hooked me up with almost all of their albums. Awesome blues in the same vein as The Allman Brothers, in fact Warren Hayes often plays lead guitar with the Allman's, when the two bands tour together(he also plays for The Dead, on occasion).

Actually Warren is one of the guitarist for the Allmans full time, Mule is a side project for him.

If you like them, here are some more greats one to look at:
Stoney Curtis http://www.amazon.com/Acid-Blues-Experience-Stoney-Curtis/dp/B0009Y26W2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1195963434&sr=8-2

Joe Bonamassa http://www.amazon.com/Sloe-Gin-Joe-Bonamassa/dp/B000SO7IX0/ref=pd_sim_m_title_5

Eric Gales http://www.amazon.com/Psychedelic-Underground-Eric-Gales/dp/B000MGVBNC/ref=pd_sim_m_title_45
Back to top Go down

Gov't Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gov't Mule   Gov't Mule Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 1:00 am

So I've managed to score another album by these guys—The Deep End Volume 1. So that makes three, the newest addition, Deja Voodoo, and the Mo' Voodoo EP. Brilliant band! I know I don't have it all, but these three albums are fantastic. "I Can't Be You," from Mo' Voodoo, is easily my favorite from all three. Something about the song just gives me the goose bumps. So good.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Gov't Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gov't Mule   Gov't Mule Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 1:15 am

I recommend the first lp "DOSE"

the "Deep End" discs in honor of deceased bassist ,Alan Woody . Has an extra dvd disc of a concert with different bass players, including Jason Newsted in which they do some Sabbath tune.

Warren tours more with Mule than ABB, so I'd call ABB a side project. He left ABB before in the late 90's to concentrate on MULE. When Woody passed away, Warren rejoined ABB after the firing of Dickey Betts and has played alongside one of the most talented guitarists around (IMHO) Derek Trucks. If you have the chance to se either Mule or Derek Trucks Band..... Do it. If you are a musician, you'll appreciate what these bnads bring to the table.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gov't Mule Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gov't Mule   Gov't Mule Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gov't Mule
Page 1 of 1