Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How do you like your thrash?

Go down 
+29
EvyMetal
Cognitive Dissonance
tohostudios
exact33
CRIMSONMASK
Bouke777
shamgar75
Joe
Leatherface
Troublezone
stepcousin
Smindas
bassman
James B.
adrian
SlaytanicPOWER
Wargod
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Thrasher73
ultmetal
Lurideath
manny
biddle
mc666
firestarter
Temple of Blood
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

How do you like your thrash? Empty
PostSubject: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 12:45 pm

I like when thrash bands:

1. write serious lyrics (some tongue-in-cheek stuff a la OVERKILL, MEGADETH, is fine. But no goofy "Ghostbusters" cover or anything like that)

2. play riffs in something at least close to a key

3. have solos that sound like they know what key they are soloing in

4. play predominantly minor scales

5. have a drummer who locks in tight with the rhythm guitar and sounds like he is playing with the
song and not bored. Criticize Lars all you like, but he did this well in the early days and really spiced up the riffs.

6. have audible bass and hopefully some tasty bass fills

7. don't sing about "society" in general. It's just lame and way overdone.

8. play guitar harmonies that aren't the same old diatonic triads a la IRON MAIDEN

9. play in time or at least pretty close to it (is this asking too much?)

10. BONUS POINTS: hopefully add something a bit new to the genre (not necessary to reinvent the wheel, but at least but your own spin on the old formulas)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 12:47 pm

I like thrash bands that don't inspire me to write lists of what I don't like.

Back to top Go down
firestarter
Metal student
Metal student
firestarter

Number of posts : 109

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:15 pm

detuned wrote:
I like thrash bands that don't inspire me to write lists of what I don't like.

This.

Sorry, but Thrash is such an emotion-based thing to me, that I don`t care much for any formal parameters.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:23 pm

as long as it sounds good to my ears, i don't really care what rule book they go by (or don't, as the case may be). raw & sloppy, tight & clean, etc. etc. can they write a good song? that's all that matters.

biddle
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
biddle

Number of posts : 337

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:29 pm

tob, do you like ultimatums into the pit?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:29 pm

mc666 wrote:
as long as it sounds good to my ears, i don't really care what rule book they go by (or don't, as the case may be). raw & sloppy, tight & clean, etc. etc. can they write a good song? that's all that matters.

+10
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:38 pm

mc666 wrote:

Sure. But even "good songs" can be in genres I don't enjoy. I can listen to something I think is well done but it's not necessarily something I want to listen to repeatedly. And the converse is true for me as well.

Not every thrash song I like fits all those rules above, but that is what I tend to gravitate towards.

What types of thrash bands do you trend towards? I don't think you're a fan of noodly prog thrash are you? WATCHTOWER, CORONER, TARGET, etc. certainly write good songs but I don't recall hearing you praise them so you must have your own set of "rules".
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:39 pm

I like thrash bands that:

1. Harsh vocals. Not too much into clean stuff except a select few bands.
2. Write more about evil and darkness than other stuff.
3. Good riffs that catch and are played aggressive.
4. Solo's in key. They could sound like Slayer as long as they are in key.
5. Isn't playing thrash for the sake that thrash is back. Not in it for the fashion statement.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:39 pm

Never really thought about it that in depth. I mostly just listen and if it trips my trigger, then I like it. I like simple stuff, I like complex stuff. Some newer thrash that's really been working for me is Vektor and Vindicator. Both bands are night and day apart, Vektor being very complex and progressive with harsh vocals, while Vindicator is pretty straight forward and simple bang-yer-head type stuff with cleaner shouted vocals.

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:53 pm

Venom are probably some of the most technically inept "players" in the history of recorded music...yet they have a boatload of classic, memorable songs.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:56 pm

detuned wrote:
Venom are probably some of the most technically inept "players" in the history of recorded music...yet they have a boatload of classic, memorable songs.

Did someone say they didn't?
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:57 pm

I like it alot of different ways,

I like the ones that play tight and clean with high vocals-Toxik,Forbidden,etc

I like the crossover stuff like D.R.I,The Crucified,Municipal Waste

I like the more extreme thrash as well-Kreator,etc

It usually doesnt matter to me if they necessarily write awesome lyrics or play precise.I can usually find something about different bands to enjoy.I also dig the humor that some bands throw in like Hyades,F.K.U.etc.
Back to top Go down
firestarter
Metal student
Metal student
firestarter

Number of posts : 109

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:58 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Some newer thrash that's really been working for me is Vektor

They are maybe the most overrated new Thrash band imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Quote :
I like it alot of different ways

So I suppose the rumours are true......Wink
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 2:01 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
I like it alot of different ways

So I suppose the rumours are true......Wink

angry

Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 2:03 pm

I know what I like when I hear it.

How's that for a non-answer?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
detuned wrote:

Did someone say they didn't?

No. I was just giving an example of a band that could barely play, making kick ass music. ie: I don't really care how well a band can play their instruments IF they have the songs to carry it across.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 2:13 pm

1. Clean or clean-ish vocals. Anywhere from gruff to high-pitched are ok. At the very least, I want understandable vocals.
2. Some groove. Sometimes, but not always, the technical stuff can go overboard.

I guess that's about it. Never thought much about it otherwise. I either like it or I don't.

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 2:35 pm

Quote :
I know what I like when I hear it.

How's that for a non-answer?

Me too. I'm just simple I guess.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 4:10 pm

I know it when I hear it
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 4:12 pm

I like my thrash heavy and ripping.

Wargod52
Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 4:34 pm

SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED! (ala Dark Angel, Slayer, and later Exodus)

"Tear your head off distortion" (ala Pantera's heavier stuff, later Exodus, Lich King)

Relative simplicity (e.g. palm mutted open-E sections, section of just straight speed picking riffs, etc)

Those are the two prime components that do it for me.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 4:47 pm

I prefer a thrash band to have high vocals (Exciter, Agent Steel, early Overkill, etc) however that doesn't quite explain why two of my all time favorites are Dark Angel and Zetro-era Exodus. I guess I just like whatever I happen to like
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 7:32 pm

Catchy, melodic/aggressive tunes with groove and speed (but not for the sake of just playing fast as possible)

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 7:41 pm

I am all over the place on this. I like technical stuff like Coroner and Believer, I like fast stuff like Exodus and Deliverance, I like more brutal stuff like Vengeance Rising and Kreator, and I like crossover stuff like The Crucified. I like some of the newer bands, too. Bonded by Blood, Warbringer, and Municipal Waste come to mind. So I guess I like most kinds of thrash, as long as they can halfway stay together and get to the end of the song without spectacularly self-destructing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you like your thrash?   How do you like your thrash? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you like your thrash?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next