Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you Really thrash?

Go down 
+15
Orion Crystal Ice
Chrome Locust
Boris2008
Alex Dee Rokket
exact33
tohostudios
DallasBlack
Addy
Fat Freddy
Lurideath
Dark Horseman
James B.
SideShowDisaSter
kmorg
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Do you Really thrash? Empty
PostSubject: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 3:44 am

Just a quick question. We all have our own scenes or the scenes we were a part of "back then". But I have brought up a ton of so-called "underground" thrash, hardcore, speed metal, and [most importantly to this thread] CROSSOVER bands over the last 10 [12? 13?] years and have gotten minimal response. So - this thread is for you posers that think that you can mosh, that think you're really hard, Got your suspenders, and got your boots - You'd better wear armor, you f*ckin' fool. etc.

I know that there are some peeps that grew up in the 80's on this board and went through the hair [to get laid], to the "real" metal [to get cred] and ended up thrashing and it still was not enough. Then D.R.I. took everything the Circle Jerks were doing and smashed it into Exodus. And we rejoiced because it was good....

Too lazy to see if the following have the band names on the vids already, but
Name these bands and you got my respect [turn me onto something from the 80's that is not already part of my soul, and you have my reverance!]:

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 4:34 am

Moshall amps! Genius Laughing very hard Great song!

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 10:37 am

Well, band 1 would be Send More Paramedics (who WORSHIP at the alter of Gang Green and D.R.I. ..... and they got nothing but my eternal respect for that!). Band number 2 is F.K.U. who remind me of old Exodus for some reason (and of the more recent bands, I'd compare them to Hatchery). Band 3 is Rostok Vampires, who were very similar to Rumble Militia and Dogs With Jobs or maybe even Mega Mosh.

But I'm sure you already expected ol' Sidey to respond to this post, didn't you? Razz

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 11:00 am

I don't know... ?

I dabbled a lil bit in racing downhill skateboards in the late 70's (before joining my first real band) and tasted a lil bit of that punk scene. I had long hair in elementary school. Call it that mid 70's surfer/stoner look. I also had older siblings who were honest to goodness true hippies. Migrated to Haight/Asbury, followed the Dead around for YEARS and even did some communal living up in the mountains of No. Calif and So. Oregon.

While making poor life decisions on the yearly "Dives of America" trek in a Dodge cargo van after graduation, I was hanging out in El Lay (my backyard) and later the Bay Area. I was one of the few (here) that saw Metallica as an upstart band in L.A and also saw Slayer when they wore make-up. I also hit the circuit in and around The City and probably seen every single thrash band that ever existed in that early Bay Area scene, or not ?

Everything changed in 1987 and I stuck around So. Calif and got caught up with what the Sanctuary Church was doing down there. So I missed out on the crossover scene. I'd seen way too much violence growing up the youngest pup of a hell's angel and couldn't get into the moshing aspect of thrash concerts. Mostly due to my habbit of ending a threat as quickly as possible, and that wasn't any fun to hurt somebody for the sake of just hurting them.

I still dig thrash (old/new) It's nostalgic, theraputic, and one of the more suitable ways to get a "double kick workout". At almost 50, my poser @$$ can still keep up with most of these young pups on a kit. The only thing that sucks about getting older is you can become way too opinionated.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 11:02 am

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
Well, band 1 would be Send More Paramedics (who WORSHIP at the alter of Gang Green and D.R.I. ..... and they got nothing but my eternal respect for that!). Band number 2 is F.K.U. who remind me of old Exodus for some reason (and of the more recent bands, I'd compare them to Hatchery). Band 3 is Rostok Vampires, who were very similar to Rumble Militia and Dogs With Jobs or maybe even Mega Mosh.

But I'm sure you already expected ol' Sidey to respond to this post, didn't you? Razz

I have a few comps with Send More Paramedics, I dig em.

I gotta check out Mega Mosh headbanger Just for the name alone

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 11:57 am

Uncle is having the weirdest mid life crisis ever. lol!
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 5:16 pm

not a fan of crossover thrash. But with what you were saying about moshing, man I am too old and brittle for that these days. haha
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Lurideath wrote:
But with what you were saying about moshing, man I am too old and brittle for that these days. haha

Don't feel like the lone ranger Shannon headbanger

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 10:28 pm

No kidding there, the last time I did I had a bruise on my calf for two weeks. Don't even remember getting hit in the calf.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 10:54 pm

I honestly haven't kept track of many of the bands in the current "retro-thrash" movement or whatever you wanna call it, but I dig me some Gama Bomb and some Disaffection, for whatever that's worth.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 8:54 am

I just gotta be a smartass here..... No I dont really thrash, I never claimed to so Razz

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 12:25 pm

When the heck did I post this??? I gotta get off the jug.....
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 1:19 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:

stick to the homo milk and hanging with Trunk.....bet there are never any thrash conversatons with him unless it's Big 4 releated.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 3:43 pm

James B. wrote:

stick to the homo milk and hanging with Trunk.....bet there are never any thrash conversatons with him unless it's Big 4 releated.

lol!

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 4:03 pm

James B. wrote:

Going to ruffle some feathers with that word. Not mine, but others of the PC pursuassion.

As far as the question of do you thrash? I listen to the genre and I do the headbanging and windmilling of the hair. But I'm not big enough or a glutton for punishment to do the moshing thing. Maybe if it was an emo crowd that weighs an average of 130 lbs, but then it wouldn't be thrash (or much of anything good) playing.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 5:00 pm

Do you Really thrash? 499945
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 7:06 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

Going to ruffle some feathers with that word. Not mine, but others of the PC pursuassion.

My whole quip has to do with the photo below...
Do you Really thrash? 1682_10200119413006896_2021406145_n

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 7:24 pm

In a word, "NO!".
Not in any way, shape or form.

But at least I'm not a poser.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 7:32 pm

Addy wrote:
I just gotta be a smartass here..... No I dont really thrash, I never claimed to so Razz

Very Happy

me neither. I dont care too either.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 8:03 pm

James B. wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

My whole quip has to do with the photo below...
Do you Really thrash? 1682_10200119413006896_2021406145_n

Doesn't matter. Political correctness doesn't care about context.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 8:25 pm

I don't think I 'really' thrash -

By the parameters set by old school metallers, basically anyone under the age group of 35 - 40 who did not live out their teens through the metal scene of the 1980s, it is impossible to really be a 'fan' (again as defined by the true 80s metallers) of anything from that decade.

No matter how many albums one can collect from an 80s band, and no matter how much you may 'like' a certain band from the 80s, it is of course never going to be the same as someone who had actually lived out the 80s. In the eyes of those who are true metallers of the 80s, anyone who too young or born after the 80s is merely a casual listener (at best) of 80s metal bands. You could have all the albums, bootlegs, videos, all the merch you name it because the moment you profess how much you like [insert band name] someone who lived in the 80s will rain all over you parade and claim they were there wiping the sweat off some band and then using that sweaty towel to wipe themselves to of course immortalize the moment and call out anyone who was not there in 1983 seeing [insert band name] on their very first tour before anyone knew them and especially before you were even inseminated.

So do I really ... whatever ... well no of course not, I and anyone who was not a teenager in the 80s, who only discovered [insert 80s band name] well past their time can never be a real fan or really do anything... but such is life..

I will also add that one could never really even be a fan of a modern band because wait for it: pfft you call that [insert genre popularized by 80s metal bands]? (or a variation on that theme) of course without having been a real fan of that genre from the beginning you can never really claim to be a real of any modern bands inspired by [insert 80s metal band]. It is impossible of course because you did not wipe yourself with the sweat of the bass player who created [insert Maiden epic] to really be a fan of the genre that then spawned off newer bands (that of course 99.5% cannot be true to the style as they were not THERE in the 80s).

I believe this is the answer you guys wanted to hear so at least it is out in the open now lol
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 11:28 pm

No, I don't.

I did, but I'm not 16 any more. I don't really listen to the thrash revival thing but I'm glad that it happened, people deserve their bands to throw themselves around to.

Thrash was an intense but fairly short love affair for me, I still listen to the old stuff sometimes but there is far too much great music out there for me to limit myself.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 12:53 pm

Just for some perspective - I was only trying to gage the love for crossover on this board, more than anything else. And, I think most already know, the "poser" line came from the greatest thrash album in history.

Hope I did not offend anyone [except James...].
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 12:59 pm

I never really thrashed. I think I was too much of a heavy metal head from the age of 6 or 7 - too ingrained in rock, to have been a thrasher in the true sense. My friends (who got in metal a lot later than me) got into thrash in a big way and were serious moshers.

I did some minor moshing in the pits - but my heart was more into pulling chicks at the concerts and metal discos, than slamming around a floor. A bit of a poser, no, I was a total poser - but a poser who was raised on rock from an infant in the early 70's, to this day - 2013 a total metal lover - never ever lost my love for this music - in fact, it gets stronger the older I get .

I knew guys were all Metallica, Slayer, thrash till I die: who now listen to U2, calling metal a phase.

At least in my posing days, I was all jeans and t-shirts, and runner boots and long hair, changing slightly in the early 90's when the Doors movie came out, to Jim Morrison style leather jackets and Chelsea boots - for the chicks, I had chicks on my brain 24/7, but always staying loyal to the music. I happened to love the Doors anyway, they were one of the earliest bands I ever heard. As soon as the Doors scene ended I kept to the look, which was similar to the metal image. Yes, for chicks, I was a self proclaimed POSER, but never losing the music, or the rock look.

Ironically, these days, age 43 and married, I wear combats and boots and vest shirts - quite thrash looking by accident. I have long hair on and off - I let it grow, knot, then get it hacked. The days of getting it trimmed every week and nicely layered to keep it all pretty long with conditioning treatments are over -- way tooooooooo much work. Grow it, let it dread, cut it.

I love speed metal and thrash like Slayer, Overkill, Kreator, Flotsam And Jetsam, the list is endless - but my heart always stayed with Sabbath, AC/DC, Krokus, Saxon, again, endless.

I better stop here, its turning into a book.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 1:06 pm

Just for some perspective - I was only trying to gage the love for crossover on this board, more than anything else. And, I think most already know, the "poser" line came from the greatest thrash album in history.

Hope I did not offend anyone [except James...].

Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you Really thrash?   Do you Really thrash? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you Really thrash?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next