Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comp Swap IX - The Reviews

Go down 
+8
tohostudios
thejokeriv
manny
exact33
EvyMetal
A Handful of Wayne
bassman
kmorg
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 12:41 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:
My comps that Kurt made.

4. Zillion – You and Me[/b]

I enjoyed this song. good melody and high energy. I will check this bands cd out.

I'm selling their s/t album for $5, PM me if you're interested.

liked it that much huh!!

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 12:46 pm

exact33 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:
My comps that Kurt made.

I enjoyed this song. good melody and high energy. I will check this bands cd out.

liked it that much huh!!

I like it but I'm also still unemployed so I'm making preparations to sell some CDs.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 12:54 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:
My comps that Kurt made.

liked it that much huh!!

I like it but I'm also still unemployed so I'm making preparations to sell some CDs.

well send me a list of what you want to sell Smile

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 2:17 pm

NO! SEND ME THE LIST FIRST! Razz

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 3:59 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:

dont listen to wayne!!!!

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 8:28 pm

exact33 wrote:

dont listen to wayne!!!!

Just got a email from Alex he said to just send me the list

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 9:41 pm

exact33 wrote:

dont listen to wayne!!!!

now thats hitting below the belt!!!

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 1:26 pm

exact33 wrote:
exact33 wrote:

dont listen to wayne!!!!

now thats hitting below the belt!!!

Laughing very hard

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 12:14 am

friends dont steal other friends cds!! Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 395375

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 6:52 am

Comp 3

1 Brother Firetribe – Wildest Dreams

I always thought this was a modern metal band, in the vain as Black Label Society or Monster Magnet. Have no idea why, because this is not the case at all! Brother Firetribe is a melodic hard rock band, and this song rules!!! I’m getting more and more into this kind of stuff, and this song made me wanna hear more.

2 Farcry – Have It All

More hard rock. Knew the name, but had never heard a note from them. Another good song, but it paled in comparison to the BF tune. Cool guitar solo!

3 House of Lords – I Don’t Wanna Wait All Night

House of Lords is one of those bands I always knew about, but never came around to check out for myself. I think I reviewed one of their albums like 10 or 15 years ago, but that is all. This is another fine song, but I’m not sure a whole album would leave me as excited as this particular one.

4 Praying Mantis – So High

Legendary NWOBHM band here. Of course, by today’s standards they are “just” hard rock. The song starts with a spacey keyboard intro, before the band slowly kicks in. I get a little Pretty Maids vibe here, and that is a good thing to me.

5 Charring Cross – Burn The Sun

A nice, melodic, mid-tempo hard rocker. Very catchy chorus. Nothing more, nothing less!

6 Ghoultown – Under The Phantom Moon

Hmm, dirty hard rock with Rob Zombie-like vocals? Unsure about this one. The more I listen, the more I like it though. Horror metal?

7 Chalice – Hollywood Daze

Catchy melodic metal, with a touch of hair metal, I guess. A bit generic….

8 Pride Of Lions – Heaven On Earth

I think I reviewed a CD from this band back in the day also. A very good song from House Of Lords, a band I need to invest more time with! Powerhouse vocals, catchy chorus and immaculate playing!

9 Bullet – Pay The Price

Ah, Sweden’s current hard rock favorites! One of the most popular bands in Europe nowadays and this is the first time I lend an ear to their music. This is AC/DC worship that works!

10 Free Spirit – Moonlight Ride

Totally unaware of this band. It’s, of course, melodic metal/hard rock. I liked this song also, but it doesn’t stick out all that much.

11 H.E.A.T. – There For You

Leaders in their genre, this band reminds if greats like Kansas, Mastedon and anything Elefante produced. Another strong AOR song here!

12 Myland – Anytime

This is one of the newer bands here, right? “Anytime” is a strong melodic hard rock number, not unlike H.E.A.T. is style. The dangers of the melodic hard rock genre are that many of the songs are easily forgotten. While there is nothing wrong with this song from Myland, it still fails to grab me.

13 Road To Ruin – The Only One

I really liked this song! Melodic hard rock should be catchy, and “The Only One” is!

14 Leverage – Follow Down That River

Leverage is more progressive than the other bands on this comp. I liked the change of pace this song gave on this CD. Fans of Balance Of Power might dig this! I know I did. One of the better songs on this comp!

15 The Soundtrack Of Our Lives – Sister Surround

I’ve dismissed this band due to their modern metalcore sounding name. Again, I was wrong! This is more alternative rock music. I was not wrong that this is not for me though.

16 The Poodles – Seven Seas

Just like Wig Wam, these Swedes got their big break by entering the Eurovision Song Contest. I actually own 2 or 3 CD’s from them, all stacked in that big pile of “not-yet-listened-to” CD’s. I think this song is from their latest album, so I don’t own this one yet.

17 The Angels – Am I Gonna See Your Face Again

A more punk infuse song her, but still in the melodic hard rock genre. Didn’t do much for me though.

18 Upper Crust – Let The Eat Rock

Funny name! More AC/DC worship, but unlike Bullet, Upper Crust bored me a bit.

That was the third and last CD from Alex. All had some great stuff I will dive more into! Success!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 11:36 am

The comp I got from thejokerix:

1. Acrassicauda - The Unknown
Very cool song. For those who are unaware, they are considered the first metal band to come from Iraq. They have since moved to the United States.

2. Hibria - The Skull Collectors
Very cool song!

3. Believer - Not Even One

4. Undercover - Last Rites (There is No Sky)
Didn't like this one at all.

5. Bloodgood - Self Destruction
Couldn't get into this one.

6. Black Tide - Live Fast, Die Young
I liked this one! Not a cover of the Exciter song by the same name.

7. Bride - Live to Die
Another song I couldn't get into.

8. Dead Kennedys - Nazi Punks F*** Off
A very cool punk song!

9. Crimson Glory - Lady of Winter
On the CD track listing, he listed it as Transcendence, but it's actually Lady of Winter. I own the CD, so I already know the song. Excellent song, overall my favorite on the album.

10. Angra - The Voice Commanding You
Apart from that weird section around the three and a half minute to four minute point, good song.

11. Brother Firetribe - Heart Full of Fire
I had read that they were AOR. They do have synths that the AOR genre is known for, but are really just straight up hard rock.

12. Cain's Offering - My Queen of Winter
Wasn't able to get into this one.

13. Mystic Prophecy - Sacrifice Me
Good stuff!

14. Speedy Gonzales - Desires of the Flesh
One of those bands that I had "heard of" for a while, but never actually "heard". They are on an AOR label, but aren't AOR at all, they're just standard hard rock.

15. Terasbetoni - Metallin Voima
I definitely dug this one! One of the best on the album.

16. Mago De Oz - La Cruz De Santiago
Traditional power/speed metal with a folky twist.

17. Warrior Soul - Love Destruction
I like this one.

18. Barren Cross - Living Dead
I had heard the lead singer for this band was a Bruce Dickinson clone. I don't think he sounds exactly like him, but his vocal melodies are extremely similar to the Air Raid Siren. At least judging by this song, anyways.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 4:37 pm

RF - thx!!! My review will be up soon, been too busy to write!!!

DB - your next review ill be up tomorrow as well!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Quote :
14. Speedy Gonzales - Desires of the Flesh
One of those bands that I had "heard of" for a while, but never actually "heard". They are on an AOR label, but aren't AOR at all, they're just standard hard rock.

I heard they can't get airplay because the Mexican-American Anti-Defamation League finds their name offensive and it enforces negative stereotypes towards other crappy AOR rock bands.

Ay carumba!!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:37 am

Disc 2 from DB:

Disc 2:

Place Vendome – Surrender Your Soul
2nd track from Place Vendome. I didn’t like this as much as the first track by then – this one is total AOR. Not a bad track and it’s catchy.

Pretty Maids – Little Drops Of Heaven, Cielo Drive
I remember this band from the 80’s. These tracks are from their latest album. The first track sounds lie for lack of a better subgenre, modern AOR. The second track sounds like Euro power metal. I may have to check get this album……

Sentenced - Excuse Me While I Kill Myself, No More Beating As One
I was expecting this band to be trash or death metal, but sounds like Euro metal to me. Not as much into this band, the vocals didn’t click. The first track’s lyrics sounds like they should be in a death metal song.

Shadow Gallery – Crystaline Dream, Don’t ever cry just remember, New World Order
Cool band that sounds a lot like Dream Theater – I like it. I will be adding to my playlist!!!! New World Order reminds of Pink Floyd during The Wall era.

The Showdown – Six Feet Under, Forget My Name
Two good tracks – sound like pop metal with modern production. I may check out more of these guys. According to Wikipedia the band are Christians are a ‘southern metal/metalcore’ band. I am not hearing that in these two tracks. Still, I will probably check out more from these guys.

Thunderstone – Virus/Until We Touch the Burning Sun/Tool Of The Devil/Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Euro Power Metal from Finland and I like it. The last track is a Metallica cover and the weakest of the Thunderstone tracks. I liked the other tracks better.

Vanishing Point – Embodiment, Surrender
I actually have this album – good Australian power metal!!!!

Overall, another cool comp CD from DB!!!!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:55 am

Sentenced actually started off as a death metal band, but those songs are off of their later albums, which have a more gothic sound.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 6:04 pm

Disc 1 from Olaf

1. 77- Let The Children Hear Rock N Roll
Damn can these guys pull off Bon Scott era AC/DC or what? This is actually pretty cool. I'd really hate to betray AC/DC but these guys do the style I liked most. Maybe I'll have to check this one out after all.

2. 220 Volt- The Tower
Not a bad song. Reminds me a little of Tyran Pace. Not sure I would pick up their albums or not but that might change after I check out some more songs.

3. The Almighty- Wild and Wonderful
I've seen the bands name but never heard the music. Not bad sort of reminds me of Hardcore Superstar.

4. Anacrusis- Silent Crime
Again heard of the name but not the music. I didn't care for their album covers so I never bothered to check into them. Silly I know but sometimes thats what I do haha. Sort of Coroner/Destruction-ish. Me Like!

5. Crescent Shield- The Last Of My Mind
Not bad musically but I didn't care for the vocals even though at times he tends to sound like Harry Conklin from Jag Panzer just not as good.

6. Crystal Ball- Am I Free
I downloaded a song of theirs a few years ago and that was pretty much all I ever heard of them since. This song is pretty cool. Kind of sounds like Mob Rules.

7. Mercenary- Memoria
I remember Theresa (from Phoenix Reign) raving about this band a few years ago. I never bothered to check them out more than a song or 2. I really like this song so maybe I should really start checking more of their stuff out.

8. Mystic Prophecy- Sign Of The Cross
I heard of these guys and even contemplated buying their cd a few times because the artwork reminded me of Rhapsody but thankfully I didn't buy it cause I don't like it haha.

9. Rebellion- Harald Harfagre
Ugh.... why, why, why does this guy have to sing like this? If it wasnt for him I would really like this band. I've tried to since I found out the guitar player was from Grave Digger and there are a lot of similarities but I just can't get over the vocals. Now more than half of the band is changed so its just as well I don't like them.

10. Rick Renstrom- Calling On Vengeance
Pretty decent song. Reminds me a little of Axel Rudi Pell with a little Yngwie thrown in. Nothing spectacular but not bad either.

11. Thunder- Back Street Symphony
Not a bad song but a little too Whitesnake sounding to me.

12. Torture Squad- Twilight For All Mankind
Never heard of this band. I'm actually surprised something like this is on here because I thought you said you didn't really like the growling bands. I could have put some on your comps lol This is pretty cool.

13. Silver Cypher- Broken Carriers
This song is just ok. Nothing really grabbed my attention

14. Battlezone- In The Darkness
poor Paul Dianno. I never really understood what he was trying to do after he left Maiden and I don't think he did either. If you listen to Maiden back when he was in the band you can clearly hear that he fits well in the more punkier side of rock/metal. He always seemed to go for the more newer Maiden sound and to me it doesn't work with him. This wasn't a bad song but I just dont like Paul Dianno in anything but the first 2 Maiden albums.

15. Overdrive- Trapped Under Ice
Not a bad song didn't really do anything for me but it wasnt bad.

16. Narnia- Scared
I've liked Narnia since the beginning. Their albums have always been give or take but they always had some good songs on every album. With the exception of the album this song is from. I think this was their best album and if memory serves me right just about every song on this one was great. Shame it had to be their last but what a way to go out.

Ok Disc 1 done so far so good!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 6:11 pm

The Almighty is much more "metal" than HS. A lot rougher sounding too.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 6:24 pm

tohostudios wrote:
The Almighty is much more "metal" than HS. A lot rougher sounding too.

Yea just the way some of the guitars sounded reminded me of them not as a whole.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 8:20 pm

Disc 1 from Olaf

1. 77- Let The Children Hear Rock N Roll
Damn can these guys pull off Bon Scott era AC/DC or what? This is actually pretty cool. I'd really hate to betray AC/DC but these guys do the style I liked most. Maybe I'll have to check this one out after all.

I really enjoyed that album. It kinda tailed off towards the end but it was great stuff!

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 6:59 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
The Showdown – Six Feet Under, Forget My Name
Two good tracks – sound like pop metal with modern production. I may check out more of these guys. According to Wikipedia the band are Christians are a ‘southern metal/metalcore’ band. I am not hearing that in these two tracks. Still, I will probably check out more from these guys.

Personally I can only recommend Temptation Come My Way (my #1 album for the year it came out). The previous album was strictly metalcore while the later ones were a cross between modern thrash and metalcore with only a hint of the southern-like melody of Temptation and almost no clean vocals at all.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 8:24 pm

Disc 2 from Olaf

The Heart Of Metal Connection!

1. Chastain- Night Of Anger
Cool song. I see this name pop up every now and then on here. I never checked them out but I liked this so I might just see what else they have.

2. Destroyer- Silent Hunter
Ok song. Kind of bored me.

3. Violated- Lack Of Empathy
The music was ok, but I didn't really care for the vocals. I'm picky but I'm really picky when it comes vocals. I have to really like it to like the music.

4. ??????-????????
Ahhh.... Why did I have a feeling that this was going to be a Phoenix Reign song HAHAHA!

5. Temple Of Blood- Spiritual Warfare
Finally got to hear this band. I listened to snippits here and there but I guess I wasn't really paying attention because I didn't really like what I was hearing. Hearing it now I think the music is really good. The singing is ok but in a way he sounds like Messiah Marcolin and it doesn't work with the music, it wasn't what I expected. The music is good though.

6. Temple Of Blood- Anthem To The Unseen
Same as above, but I think I like this song a little more.

7. Trampled Underfoot- Merchants Of Death
Pretty good song. I liked this one

8. Ultimatum- Blood Covenant
I really like the music. I own all the albums and the music is great. Scotts vocals are something that you might need to get used to. At times he sounds like Steve Souza which is awesome.

9. Tourniquet- Where Moth and Rust Destroy
Heard the bands name just not the music. This was a little different from what I expected. Theres a few wierd things going on where the song takes a few turns. Not a bad song I like it, but something about it doesn't make me crazy about it. I'd like to see what else they have though.

10. Avenger Of Blood- Death Brigade
This ones ok. Reminds me a little of old Kreator but not as good.

11. Avenger Of Blood- Sadistic Inquisitor
Same as above

12. Line Of Fire- Paradise
Wow.. Shawn can sing! haha pretty good. Thats actually what stands out to me on this track. The music is good but I think the vocals are the best part. Not crazy about the lyrics though.

13. Hirax- Walk With Death
Love Hirax!

14. Liberty n Justice- My Sacrifice
Not crazy about this song. Sounds like Don Henley

15. Rapid Fire- Settle The Score
I really liked the beginning but then I just got bored with it.

Ok.... not bad. So far you've done pretty good Olaf! I don't think I've been too picky lol. I started to listen to disc 3 and skimmed through disc 4 and looks like I might be a little picky on that one but we'll see haha.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:43 am

I`m really glad you liked so much of it so far Wayne! I have seen you butchered some comps in the past so this is cool Smile
I feel bad for not having posted some reviews of yours yet, i have most of it clear in my head just need to get it written.
As for growling, i may have been a bit unclear. I`m not at all a fan of trad black and death metal, but both death thrash and some melo death are cool....
Disc four yeah Laughing . Dont feel bad for not being too crazy about a lot on that one. I decided to make one disc with a little selection of all the weird stuff i like thats not metal, instead of spreading those tracs in here and there. I`m happy if there is something you like there but of course there will be much that is a bit too sophisticated for you Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 12:49 pm

HAHAHAHA!

In that case heres my review for Disc 3....... Horrible! Razz lol!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 1:48 pm

What the fukk is wrong??
I have spent the last hour writing a review and when i push send i get some message saying the server is too busy to post or something!!! When i refresh the page it`s all gone....
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Thats wierd... BTW you might have to send me the list of bands and songs for disc 3 and 4. My gf was cleaning and I think she threw it away or something because I can't find it.

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comp Swap IX - The Reviews
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next