Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comp Swap IX - The Reviews

Go down 
+8
tohostudios
thejokeriv
manny
exact33
EvyMetal
A Handful of Wayne
bassman
kmorg
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 6:06 pm

bassman wrote:
That photo is frightening!!

The only time I really feel sorry for Bill is when I see (or hear) Hillary.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 9:15 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
bassman wrote:
That photo is frightening!!

The only time I really feel sorry for Bill is when I see (or hear) Hillary.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy....NOT!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 8:08 pm

Joker Comp I:

Acrassicauda-Message From Baghdad: Opens up with a thrash metal song from Iraq. The vocals are a rough but totatally understandable growl that is very unique. Definatly worth checking out some more from these guys. 4/5

Bullet For My Valentine-Your Betrayal: Most of what I now of these guys is they are a very melodic metalcore band. This song however, unlike the material I'm familiar with has very little of the annoying core vocals usually found in this genre. If this is what they sound like now, I like it. 4/5

Black Tide-Shockwave: I'm quite familiar with these guys debut album so I know this song. I bought they're album on a blind buy and this song let me know that it was money well spent. Unfortunatly, it doesn't sound like the next album from these kids will be anywhere near this goood. Hopefully they may return to this sound once they mature and realize what a mistake it would be to abandon this sound. 5/5

High On Fire-Snakes For The Divine: Some really good mondern doom metal from these guys. I already have one of their albums but haven't listened to it much. This song makes me realize I need to correct this. 3.5/5

Icarus Witch-Black Candles: Some awesome traditional metal right here. The vocals are pretty unique and the melody is quite infectious. 5/5

Neon Cross-We Are Children Of Our Lord: Some more good traditional metal this time from a Christian perspective. The only downside is the vocals. I don't mind high pitched vocals when they're used with a varying range. This guy is stays in the very high register and it kind of takes the focus away from the great music. 3.5/5

Rage Of Angels-Leave You Or Forsake You: Yet another good platter of Christian traditional metal, this time the vocals are a lot better. 4/5

Recon-Behind Enemy Lines: Yet another Christian band this time bringing some power/speed metal. Like Neon Cross the high pitched vocals dominate but I find this guy less annoying. Definatly need to find the Recon album. 5/5

Sodom-Tired And Red: Some good thrash here with some growling style vocals (though not quite death like) that don't annoy as some in this genre do. Since starting my job as a mechanic I find myself liking death and thrash more and the energy these bands provide motivate me to work harder. I want to grow my death and thrash collection so I will keep an eye out for some Sodom albums. 4/5

Taking Dawn-Like A Revolution: These guys are more modern metal but I quite like the sound, melodic and energetic. I have seen these guys album around so I might pick it up the next time I see it. 4/5

Hibria-Reborn From The Ashes: Brazilian power metal on this one. Like most of their fellow countrymen this is some great metal music. Something must be in the water down there because so much good metal comes from there. 4.5/5

Therapy?-Screamager: I only know these guys from the cover of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath they did with Bruce. An alternative metal band with plenty of melody and some good vocals. Me likey. 4.5/5

Into Eternity-Absolution: I'm quite familiar with this band after seeing them open up for Symphony X. I was impressed enough to buy an album and a t-shirt from them. Great progressive death metal with (though not in this song) some awesome falsettos that are unbelievable when you hear them live. I have not heard this song so I shall take note to get their earlier albums. 5/5

Exciter-Heavy Metal Maniac: I have an album from these guys which I like quite enough but this song is better than any on that one. Some great 80's speed metal music. 4.5/5

Angra-The Voice The Voice Commanding You: I'm already familiar with this great power/progressive band but I only have one album. I had them on my mental wantlist but forgot to get more from them. This song reminds me that I need to get the ball rolling on that. 5/5

Leviticus-On The Rock: Only the second song on here I know but at least it's a good one. I got the M8 reissue of this in my first years as a Chistian when I was trying to get more Godly music. What stood out for me is that this was a very unique sound that I have never heard elsewhere. Some call it outdated, I call it awesome! 5/5

II

Scorpions-The Sail Of Charon: I admit it, I am only familiar with Scorpions hits and their last album so this song is new to me. I know I need some classic Scopions and they are on my radar maybe I will start getting off my lazy butt and getting them. I always like metal/rock songs with a Middle Eastern sound (i.e. Stargazer from Rainbow and this one from The Scorpions). 4/5

The Sword-Tres Brujas: Song number 3 that I already know. I like the retro 70s Sabbath sound these guys have. 3.5/5

Triumph-Lay It On The Line: I'm only really famiar with the AOR of their 80s material but I do know this song from a greatest hits album (Classics). Great classic 70s rock and I need to get some of their older material. 4.5/5

Wig Wam-Non Stop Rock & Roll: Great 80s pop metal, but wait...this is very recent. I certainly was fooled because these guys sound like they'd be right at home among other 80s MHR bands. This is my kind of music! 5/5

Messiagh Prophet-Hit And Run: Classic metal from a Christian band I'm of aware of but never got anything from them. I like this. 4/5

Bush-Comedown: In the 90s I was so gung ho metal that bands like this were shunned from me but it is some good music with some powerful vocals. Still not something I would plop down good money for but if I find and album used I will be tempted to pick it up. This song is one I'm actually familar with because when I was aboard the U.S.S. JFK, a band formed on the ship (one member actually being my supervisor) performed this song among others. 3/5

Sponge-Molly: Some more alternative rock this time more light hearted and poppy. Again good song but nothing that grabs me too strongly. 3/5

Sex Pistols-Holiday In The Sun: I'm not that big on punk but I like the melodic chops of many of the bands in this genre. No exception here and I find myself enjoying this song and the Britishy vocals. Not something I'd listen to regularly but I might pick up a greatest hits package of them. 3.5/5

Dead Kennedys-Holiday In Cambodia: Some more good ol' punk this time the vocals I like better. Again something I will look into for a greatest hits package. 4/5

Black Flag-Rise Above: Again another punk legend this time the band that intoduced us to Henry Rollins. While I don't like many of his views or his reputation as a bully, I always liked his aggressive vocals and it works real well with this music. 4/5

Bad Religion-Stranger Than Fiction: The final punk song on these comps and the one I like the most. Very melodic and catchy with some very good vocals. Again while I probably would dissagree with a lot of their views I could really get into more music like this. 5/5

Pearl Jam-Gonna See My Friend: Like a lot of people my age I was a big fan of PJ and their album Ten but I never sought anything else. I changed my mind about a year ago and I am on the look out for more. This song shows me that Eddie's vocals have become more scratchy but actually works real well. 4.5/5

Big Country-Alone: For some reason I was under the impression that this would be some alternative country band but this is some good alt rock from a band that has been around for a long time but I never heard of them before. Very catchy and melodic. 4/5

The Connells-Fun And Games: Unfortunatly this song was cut short for some reason which is a shame because I really like it. Reminds me of All About Eve with a male vocalist.

Dada-Dim: I need to get some albums from this and the previous band for some good mellow rock. Very melodic with good harmonizing vocals. 5/5

King Missle-Detatchable Penis: Anybody like me who was an avid Bevis And Butthead viewer in the early 90s knows this song. Ridiculous yet funny lyrics with some cool alt rock in the background. 3.5/5

Veruca Salt-Seether: Who knew that the annoying little brat from Charlie And The Chocholate Factory would start an alt rock band. But sereiously I know of the band and this song. Not bad but only something I'd buy used on the cheap, if that. 3/5

David Zaffiro-Where Are You Now: This is some great 80s melodic hard rock from the Christian side of things. I have a Zaffiro album on tape somewhere but hearing this song tells me that if possible I should upgrade to CD. 4.5/5

Undercover-The Eyes Of Love: Some more good Christian melodic hard rock. I like this song and could listen to whole album of it. Unfortunatly, I have a later CD form these guys that makes me shake my head compared to what they used to sound like. 5/5

Live-White, Discussion: Another alternative band from the 90s that I shunned despite the music being good. Another band I will pick up if I find it used on the cheap. 3.5/5

III

Elf-Hoochie Coochie Woman: Any fan of Dio knows who Elf was unfortunatly, some like me never really heard a single song from them. This is great 70s classic rock sung by the legendary singer. 5/5

Wolfmother-Joker & The Thief: Another 70s retro band but not in the Sabbath tradition like the Sword. This brings to mind bands like Grand Funk, Zepline, and The Who. Of course they don't quite live up to those bands but the music is enjoyable. 3.5/5

Eternal Ryte-Tightrope Dancer: Good classic 80s metal from a Christian perspective. The vocals aren't high pitched at all and stay within a good mid range. 4/5

Joe Satriani-Big Bad Moon: I am well aware of this guitar legend and even recently got an album and a short EP from him. Most of his music is insturmental but this is one of the rare ones with vocals. Cool bluesy number that has me tapping my foot to the the music. 5/5

Novella-Story: Some good melodic hard rock from the Christian side of things. Nothing groundbreaking but good for what it is. 4/5

Candlebox-Don't You: I am definatly familiar with this band and this song as I have the album. While I listen to mostly the great ballad Far Behind, the whole album has some great alt rock with very passionate vocals. 4/5

King James-Hard Road To Go: This is some awesome MHR from the Christian side of things. I must get they're debut album! 5/5

Haven-Holly: I know of this great Christian prog/power band thanks to Retroactive's reissues. This is the best song from the album I have, Age Of Darkness. For some reason this band reminds me a lot of early Fates Warning. 5/5

Mago De Oz-Satania: Love this Spanish speaking folk band from a live album I own. This is my first time hearing a studio track. This is a great song despite I have no bloody idea what they're saying. 5/5

Powerglove-This Is Halloween: Some great symphonic Euro-power metal music right here. This is an instrumental so I don't know if they have vocals or not but I love this song. 5/5

Brother Firetribe-Game They Call Love: Some awesome melodic metal/hard rock and another in a long line of great songs on this disc. 5/5

Cain's Offering-My Queen Of Winter: Some more symphonic Euro-power metal song. I love the vocalist of this one, of course I now just found out it's the guy from Stratovarius. Many people get tired of this style of music but I never seem to. 5/5

Northern Kings-Wanted Dead Or Alive: First thing I noticed was the lyrics seemed familiar. Second thing, I really like the vocals. Third thing the vocalist is none other than Marcos of Nightwish/Tarot fame. Fourthly, of course the lyrics sound familiar, it's one Bon Jovi's most famous songs. All This done in a powerful symphonic power metal style. 5/5

Rhapsody-Riding The Winds Of Eternity: Of course the kings of symphonic power metal, the mighty Rhapsody. This is an awesome song that proves why they have that title. 5/5

Speedy Gonzalez-Desires Of The Flesh: The name is a little misleading as there is nothing speedy obout this band but it's some awesom melodic power metal. 4.5/5

Terasbetoni-Ala Kerro Meille: I mistakinly thought this was a Spanish speaking band but they are Finnish and very awesome. I'm finding I really like these non-English speaking bands. Great melodic power metal! 5/5

Vanishing Point-Hope Among The Heartless: This ends with a song I am very familiar with seeing as it's from one of my favorite albums in sometime The Fourth Season. Great power prog music with outstanding vocals that I can't get enough of.

I would say the best disc is the third one but as I said before, nothing had me running to the skip button. Thanks Joker, you have added manny to my wantlists and have given me some decisions to make next time I check the bargain section of Half-Price Books.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 8:27 pm

That second disc sounds like something I would have put together. From Wig Wam to Dead Kennedys to Big Country to Bad Religion to The Connells. (BTW, I would HIGHLY recommend the BR disc that title cut is from. This band has some of the best harmony vocals punk has ever seen and some great lyrics).

Check out the "hit" from that same Bad Religion album:

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 12:37 pm

Cool stuff, DB!

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 12:45 pm

I am working on my response to Kurts Komps!!

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 12:48 pm

exact33 wrote:

Excellent. I already reviwed disc 1 from you (if you didn't notice), but I have still 2 to go!

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 12:52 pm

kmorg wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Excellent. I already reviwed disc 1 from you (if you didn't notice), but I have still 2 to go!

I did notice. i am glad you found a couple of songs. That song from Treat was off their 2010 album Coup De Grace.

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 12:59 pm

DB - glad you liked the discs!!!! I tried to pick stuff from my collection that I didn't think you had as opposed to my favorites (which you have a lot of!).

FYI - Powerglove is from Boston, all instrumental. Their first CD is all covers of video game songs in their style. The 2nd CD is covers of Saturday morning cartoons and animated films. The track I put on the disc is a cover from the film 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'.

I will posting disc 2 review in the next few days
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 12:21 pm

My comps that Kurt made.

CD 1

1. Evergrey – The Masterplan

this is one of those bands who you mean to get stuff from but always forget. I really enjoyed this track - good aggressiveness and good prog. I will be getting some...

2. Lethal – Arrival

I really enjoyed this track. The music was good but those vocals! I loved the higher pitch that this guy has. Another strong track.

3. Pagans Mind – United Alliance

I have had and traded my Pagans Mind cds. I can stomach them on individual tracks but I just dont find their music memorable or consistent. This track from Gods Equation is good but I found a lot of that album to be dull.

4. Riot – Fight or Fall

I seen threads on this band here at HoM and now I can see why. Its good old fashioned metal and I need to to track down some of their material. It has speed, good vocals and that chugga chugga along with the gang chorus. nice!

5. Artch – Loaded

I like this track but it just seems rather play it by numbers metal. Decent enough stuff.

6. Dream Evil – United

Dream Evil is one of those bands I have tried and tried to like but they just do not click with me. This song is probably the best I have heard from them though. I really liked the chorus parts a lot.

7. Powermad – Nice Dreams

the power metal genre is overly populated with bands copying bands copying bands. Powermad has always been one of those 3rd or 4th tier acts. This song is a good enough listen but really is too generic to be remembered.

8. Destinys End – From Dust to Life

I cant remember if I have heard this band before but they sound a lot like a lot of others. It is straight forward power metal with all the traditional elements. The biggest problem I have is they dont mix it up and it is a little monotone sounding.

9. Dionysus – Spirit

I really enjoy the first cd with Olaf Hayer but after that album, Dionysus has been a really big disappointment to me. I think the keys are way too prominent but I will give them on this song it is at least metal (for the most part). There is some good melody on this song and the singer does a good job. Dionysus defines mediocrity for me, which is a shame after the great debut!

10. Carnivora – The Masters and their Slaves

good power metal - a bit generic but good.

11. Scariot – Strange to Numbers

I like music a lot. The vocals seem to be drowned out though in the music. I am interested in hearing more though.

12. Conception – Parallel Minds

I like prog metal a lot. I would like this better if the keys were not so overused and the found a better vocalist. He just doesnt seem to fit what they were going for.

13. Fates Warning – Point of View

I have actually enjoyed Parallels - but the cd got busted leaving me art only. I kinda forgot about getting a new copy, which after hearing this song I will have to fix. Good stuff!

14. Morgana Lefay – Grand Materia

I really need to check out ML some more. I enjoyed this song.

15. Savage Grace

I like the music but the vocals just sound like fingernails on a chalk board sometimes, and great other times. If they could do away with that high pitched stuff I might enjoy this song better.

Savatage – Gutter Ballet

I like this song. I have heard it a lot of times before and have this album on cassette. good song!

16. Tenacious D – Dio

The good news is the song wasnt that long Razz

CD 2

1. Pretty Maids –I N V U

DallasBlack also sent me some Pretty Maids stuff in his comp and I am taking it as a sign that I should check out this band more. I enjoyed this song. Good stuff!

2. Jorn – Starfire

I really like Jorn - in Masterplan. It may seem strange but he is so much better with Masterplan than solo. For some reason, his solo stuff is bland and pretty forgettable which his Masterplan stuff rocks. This song is there - kinda slow and really doesnt show off his vocal talents.

3. Axel Rudi Pell – Ride the Rainbow

I enjoyed this song a lot. I have never really checked out Axel properly and that is going to change. Very melodic, catchy tune. This song is one of the reasons I like to swap comps - that jem I didnt know about.

4. Zillion – You and Me

I enjoyed this song. good melody and high energy. I will check this bands cd out.

5. Cry wolf – Dirt Dog Night

good old fashioned bluesy rock and roll. this is classic hair metal that I overlooked. Going to fix that. I enjoyed this a lot!

6.Doro – Angels with Dirty Faces

I enjoyed this track - which is surprising given my dislike of female vocals in metal. I have heard Doro and I might check out some more stuff (except her last album)

7. Kingdom Come – Friends

I recently got the S/T from Kingdom Come and now they are on my list of stuff to get. I enjoyed this track so its on the list.

8. Eden – Give Me a Reason

This track was ok. I know Rex Carroll is the guitarist but I dont care for the vocals all that much. I think might have owned this at one point but I dont remember...

9. Yngwie – You Don’t Remember, Ill Never Forget

Yngwie doesnt do much for me, never has and probably never will. Its a decent track.

10. Wig Wam – In My Dreams

toho introduced me to Wig Wam with their latest cd and I have been interested in hearing more. The problem is I think from what I have heard their other albums have some stand out tracks like this one and then filler. I love the energy, vocals and melody on this track. Their latest record is full of this quality music from start to finish.

11. Ark – Resurrection

Ark is one of those bands I have like and dislike at the same time. I have to be in a mood for them. I enjoyed this song.

12. TinDrum – Drums of War

this is one bombastic song. I really liked it - although I am wondering if the whole album of vocals might be a little much. This is typical power metal but done well. Ill check out some more.

13. TNT – 10,000 Lovers (In One)

This is another band I have not checked out a lot and I have to fix that. Its melodic, fun and entertaining. Nice!

14. Fifth Angel – Midnight Love

I have been looking for this cd for awhile but havent found it yet. Great stuff! Its melodic, great vocals and aggressive.

15. Icon – Take My Breath Away

I am on the fence on this one. I should like it but something doesnt resonate with me. Ill take a listen to the album to see if that changes.

16. Liberty N Justice – Independence Day

I like this track. Its hard with all the different vocalists to get a feel for an album but this is a good song.

17. Jersusalem – Risen

I like Jerusalem. This song is a lot different than some of their earlier material but I enjoyed it. It has that sing a long quality to it. I dont have this album but I will need to get it. Great song!

18. Desperado – Hang Em High

I like blues rock. This is blues rock. I will be getting this!

the last comp is to come!!!

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 3:22 pm

Pretty Maids are awesome! I'm new to them as well. All I have is a best of CD (should give you a good sampling of their older material) and their newest, which Kmorg says is one of their best ones to date.

BTW, I have finished your comps and will give a review within the next few days.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 3:32 pm

If you're just getting into Pretty Maids, I'd suggest starting with Future World and/or Jump The Gun / Lethal Heroes (The title varies depending on the artwork).

The TNT album that track is from is my favorite one from them (Tell No Tales)

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 4:55 pm

exact33 wrote:
My comps that Kurt made.

I like prog metal a lot. I would like this better if the keys were not so overused and the found a better vocalist. He just doesnt seem to fit what they were going for.

Whoa! Watch it buddy! Thats Roy Khan your talking about!

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 5:10 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
exact33 wrote:
My comps that Kurt made.

Whoa! Watch it buddy! Thats Roy Khan your talking about!

yep. Whats your point? Razz

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 5:26 pm

I knew the band name Conception sounded familiar. I forgot that's Khan's old band. I really like Roy Khan's vocals but I got tired of Kamelot's music.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 6:03 am

Glad you liked the brotherpart of the stuff, Alex! You're weird for not liking Dream Evil though! Razz just kidding

I'll get to reviewing more of your CD's soon. Just got to listen some more first Very Happy

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 1:00 pm

kmorg wrote:
Glad you liked the brotherpart of the stuff, Alex! You're weird for not liking Dream Evil though! Razz just kidding

I'll get to reviewing more of your CD's soon. Just got to listen some more first Very Happy

I have actually been told that for not liking Dream Evil Very Happy I think thats what makes music so good and frustrating at the same time - we as a board have a lot of similarities in tastes but also a lot of differences.

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 1:02 pm

1 Keldian – The Last Frontier

I have seen this band plugged by Alex every time people ask for suggestions for good power metal. However, since I have grown so tired of the whole modern power metal scene, I never bothered to check this out. Well, judging by this track, that was my mistake. “The Last Frontier” is a very catchy tune, reminding me of a mix between Freedom Call and Dionysus, with some Celtic influences added. I must admit though that Keldian seems to inhabit all the qualities of a generic power metal band, so even though I enjoy this particular song, I think I’d get bored quickly with this band.

2 Legend Maker – Story

I have some songs from this band on a compilation CD, and have been meaning to check them out further. This is traditional power metal, leaning more on classic heavy metal, rather than melodic speed metal with keys. The song in question here is close to 2 minutes long, so “epic” is a describing word. I must remember to invest in one of the bands CD’s!

3 Olympus Mons – Seven Seas

Another band I’ve been meaning to check out. I think they are on my want list. Not sure they’ll stay there after this… Generic, so-called flower metal. Ugh.

4 Poverty’s No Crime – Open Your Eyes

Great opening riff, and I am hooked! Knew the name, but was unfamiliar with the music. This is prog/power light, ala Balance Of Power, Elegy etc. The music sounds awesome, still the vocals are a bit bland. Still, this band peaked my interest.

5 Unicorn – Vampyrial

Look at the name of the band, and the title of the song….. Yes, they sound as stupid in real life! The vocals are buried in the mix on this melodic power metal song. And that is about the extent of my positive comments for this track.

6 Artillery – Rise Above It All

I saw this band in concert opening for Hirax a couple of years ago. Not sure if this is a classic Artillery track, or if it is picked from one of the Danes comeback discs, but one thing is for certain; their brand of thrash metal is to my liking!!

7 Athlantis – King Lear

Another stupid band name. “Oh, Atlantis is already used by at least 20 different bands? Well, we have an H!” My hopes weren’t high, but this band actually captured my interest. Yes, this is more flower metal, and the accent of the singer is horrible. Yet the song was catchy enough. Labÿrinth and Rhapsody lovers can take note of the name!

8 Burning Black – Purgatory Child

Totally unfamiliar with this band, but “Purgatory Child” remedied that! This was definitely a highlight on disc 2. I’d describe this song just pure heavy metal! Ballsy vocals, effective riffs and a memorable chorus! 2 thumbs up.

9 Destynation – Rising Up

Another band I knew nothing about. Destynation also play classic heavy metal, yet people of today might call it power metal. They remind me of Fifth Angel for some reason. I like this song

10 Red Circuit – Homeland

More power metal. Not unlike Brainstorm or Symphorce. According to Meal Archives Chity Sompala is their singer. He’s like the Tim Owens or Jørn Lande of modern power metal, and sings with everyone who will have him. Not the most memorable song on this comp, but still enjoyable for what it os.

11 Serenity – Reduced To Nothingness

Another band I see plugged everywhere nowadays. Apparently, they are the hippest modern power metal act these days. I found this song to be a bit generic. 5 years ago, I’d be all over this, yet now I am left a tad cold.

12 Metal Law – Night Of The Wolf

Great band name!!!! This screams traditional metal, and that is what this is! Not the most original band around, I admit, but this song head me hooked immediately. Fist pumping, headbanging heavy metal!

13 Headstone Epitaph – The Game

More traditional metal from Germany. Unfortunately, I found this song a lot more generic, for reasons unknown.

14 Lechery – Rise With Me

Traditional metal from Sweden. The production is a bit muddy here, but the song is solid enough.

A lot of great stuff on disc 2 from Alex!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 1:44 pm

Lechery's "Violator" album is killer heavy metal.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 4:23 pm

kmorg wrote:
I saw this band in concert opening for Hirax a couple of years ago. Not sure if this is a classic Artillery track, or if it is picked from one of the Danes comeback discs, but one thing is for certain; their brand of thrash metal is to my liking!!

Rise Above it All is off of Artillery's 2009 album When Death Comes, their second most recent album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 8:08 pm

tohostudios wrote:
If you're just getting into Pretty Maids, I'd suggest starting with Future World and/or Jump The Gun / Lethal Heroes (The title varies depending on the artwork).

I got a bead on Jump The Gun / Lethal Heroes in a trade.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 8:25 pm

exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I still think Future World is their best one but that one is a close second.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 8:34 pm

and last but certainly not least:

CD 3

1. Apocalypse – A Tale of a Nightmare

I really like this track. Its has clean vocals which really do it for me. I like music. Ill check this out some more.

2. Witchhammer – The Burning Court

Another winner. I really enjoyed this song. I liked the aggressiveness while still having some melody. I sometimes think thrash bands go for heaviness above all but this band puts it all together.

3. Equinox – Auf Wiedersehen

Classic thrash done right! I enjoyed this a lot and the chorus of Auf Wiedersehen was very memorable.

4. Battered – New Lament

This song was ok. I like the vocals but the music just seemed to repeat again and again.

5. Blood Tsunami – Evil Unleashed

I dont really care for the vocals. At one time in my life, the growls were all I listened to but now I am in the music for the melody.

6. Coroner – Totentanz

I enjoy a song here and there from Coroner. This is a good song but an entire album is too much for me at one sitting.

7. Heathen – Dying Season

This is really good. I was into Heathen for awhile but this song from their most recent cd rocks!

8. Death – To Forgive is to Suffer

I have never been a big Death fan. I guess some might call for my metal card back but they are ok.

9. Reverend – Butcher of Baghdad

The screeching vocals dont do much for me. The music is so far in the background too its hard to get past the vocals.

10. Laaz rockit – In the Name of the Father and the Gun

I really enjoy Annihilation Principle when I am in thrash mood and now I need to get Nothing Sacred. Good song!

11. Susperia – Home Sweet Hell

I enjoyed this song. Ill check them out. It is a lot newer than a lot of other stuff on this cd but it fits in well.

12. Kreator – Violent Revolution

I have to get me some Kreator again. I enjoyed this a lot. I think this is one of their later albums. Ill have to check it again.

13. Paradox – Monument

good classic thrash. I like the speed of the song. They got it moving on this track. the vocals were average though.

14. Viking – Case of the Stubborns

This song is ok. I dont love it but I dont dislike it either. The way the vocalist stretches out the last word of every line is kinda annoying. There are a lot stronger tracks on this cd.

15. Mercenary – 11 Dreams

One of these things is not like the other. This song is quite a departure from the rest of the cd. Its melodic, atmospheric and has clean vocals. I have to listen to it some more to form a definitive opinion. I like it but I am not sure an entire cd would keep my attention.

16. Whiplash - Hiroshima

The vocals are waaaaaaaaay too high. This guy can really reach the high stuff but it is too much. The music is mid-paced which doesnt help either. It does get faster in spots but I really enjoy the full tilt aggressiveness more.

Overall
I have give kudos to Kurt on this one. I really enjoyed this cd as a whole, which for me with thrash is a big challenge. I like some thrash but when it all tends to run together and bore me after too much listening. this comp is something I will play again and again.

I really enjoyed the comps Kurt sent. I found a lot of good music out there that I didnt know about or had glossed over. Kurt has great taste and I am glad we were paired up for this swap! I hope he enjoyed my stuff half as much as I enjoyed his.

exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 8:34 pm

tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I still think Future World is their best one but that one is a close second.

I figured it would be a good place since it is a trade. Ill get the other too if I enjoy this one (which I am certain I will..)

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 12:22 pm

exact33 wrote:
My comps that Kurt made.

4. Zillion – You and Me[/b]

I enjoyed this song. good melody and high energy. I will check this bands cd out.

I'm selling their s/t album for $5, PM me if you're interested.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comp Swap IX - The Reviews   Comp Swap IX - The Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comp Swap IX - The Reviews
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next