Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Empty
PostSubject: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 1:41 pm

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Cover_26172112008

In 1975 Peter Gabriel announced his departure from Genesis. Many thought it would be the death of the European prog-rock band. Little did fans and critics know that the bands popularity would grow even more as they moved away from the progressive rock sound to a more mainstream sound. However, the band's 1976 release "A Trick of the Tail" hardly showed signs of steering this ship away from the band's classic sound. In fact, "A Trick of the Tail" is prime Genesis; progressive and infectiously melodic.

"Squonk" and "Ripples" are epic tracks that immediately recall the greatness of anything the band had recorded in the past. The albums opening track "Dance on a Volcano" is slightly frantic, rhythmically challenging with tight rhythms and perhaps one of the band's finest tracks finest songs. However, the overall sound of the album is less layered and slightly softer sounding than the past few releases. While some may find this to be a bad thing, I find it to be refreshing. The album has some very delicate moments, such as in "Mad Man Moon", a title which doesn't really hint at the melodic nature of the song. Still the song has some very progressive moments as it weaves through various peaks and valleys with lush keyboards by Tony Banks. Actually Banks keyboards dominate much of this record, though the bass work of Mike Rutherford and the guitar work of Steve Hackett are round out the sound. The only song that really hints at what is to come in the not too distant future is "Robbery, Assault & Battery". The song is immediately catchy, though at over six minutes long, the song is hardly radio pop. Despite the pop nature of the chorus, there are some very progressive moments throughout the song, especially at the midway point that features some gorgeous keyboard leads from Banks.

Of course the biggest change from past Genesis releases is that drummer Phil Collins will take over the reigns as the bands vocalist and frontman. It must have come as a shock to the band at how well someone they already had in their band filled the shoes of Gabriel. Collins vocals are simply outstanding, fitting the mood of each and every song.

Die-hard Peter Gabriel/Genesis fans may look at "A Trick of the Tail" with a bit of disdain. However, it truly is a fantastic album despite the absence of the band's former frontman, vocalist and lyricist.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Great Review!!!!!

That is a very beautiful album. When you listen to the albums before it now, it seems obvious that Phil should be the next lead singer. "Squonk" and "Dance on a Volcano" are fun songs to drum along to. That fusion middle and ending on "Dance" is crazy.

There is a b-side called "It's Yourself" that was supposed to segue into "Los Endos". It didn't make the album for some reason(sounding too similar to another song, already had that mood in a song or something like that).
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 2:07 pm

I think 'Trick of the Tail' is an excellent album and IMO sort of left off where the Peter Gabriel era ended, the band had not yet morphed to pop/rock monster that it would become in the early 80's, great album and I have no idea how someone who was fan of Gabriel can hold this album in any kind of disdain. In other words, I 100% agree with your review.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 2:17 pm

I think the REAL change happened is when Steve Hackett left.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 2:33 pm

chewie wrote:
Great Review!!!!!

That is a very beautiful album. When you listen to the albums before it now, it seems obvious that Phil should be the next lead singer. "Squonk" and "Dance on a Volcano" are fun songs to drum along to. That fusion middle and ending on "Dance" is crazy.

There is a b-side called "It's Yourself" that was supposed to segue into "Los Endos". It didn't make the album for some reason(sounding too similar to another song, already had that mood in a song or something like that).

Thanks. This review will replace my initial thoughts I posted on my site some 10 years ago.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 2:37 pm

[quote="chewie"]I think the REAL change happened is when Steve Hackett left.[/quote

I had not thought of that til you just mentioned it but it was 'And Then They Were Three' that started including songs that were more in the pop vein then in previous releases.

Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 3:19 pm

When I got this album I wasn't even a Genesis fan. I bought the box set for the hell of it because I do like some Genesis songs and bands I like also like Genesis so I figured why not. I never realised what they sounded like before all their more pop songs. I like a lot of their catelogue all the way through to their last album "Calling All Stations". A Trick Of The Tail is great all the way through. The version I have has a bonus DVD with some interviews and videos which are pretty wierd. Good stuff though.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 3:25 pm

[quote="manny"]
chewie wrote:
I think the REAL change happened is when Steve Hackett left.[/quote

I had not thought of that til you just mentioned it but it was 'And Then They Were Three' that started including songs that were more in the pop vein then in previous releases.

I don't know. I think that was just the direction they were headed and might have been part of the reason for Hackett's exit. Songs like "Robbery Assault & Battery" sort of hint at that direction long before Hackett left.

Besides, "Duke" and "...and Then There Were Three" are still fairly progressive albums.

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 3:41 pm

[quote="ultmetal"]
manny wrote:
chewie wrote:

I don't know. I think that was just the direction they were headed and might have been part of the reason for Hackett's exit. Songs like "Robbery Assault & Battery" sort of hint at that direction long before Hackett left.

Besides, "Duke" and "...and Then There Were Three" are still fairly progressive albums.

But they always had a pop song like that on an album. "I Know What I Like" and the song "The Lamb" are fairly poppy. It is more than likely a combination of both, them moving in that direction and Hackett not wanting too.......... so he bailed.

Speaking of "Duke" I reburned this album for me the way that the actual Side 1 concept was supposed to be. The Duke Suite(Behind The Lines/Duchess/Guide Vocal/Turn It On Again/Duke's Travels/Duke's End) as one long song and then the other tunes. If you hear boots from before Duke was released that is how they played it live.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 4:43 pm

[quote="ultmetal"]
manny wrote:
chewie wrote:

I can't disagree with your point and even during the Gabriel years that had more radio friendly songs, 'And then there were three' is very progressive but I was thinking of the huge hit single on that album, who's title escapes me that is still a radio staple and not so much the deep cuts.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 6:14 pm

[quote="manny"]
ultmetal wrote:
manny wrote:
chewie wrote:

I can't disagree with your point and even during the Gabriel years that had more radio friendly songs, 'And then there were three' is very progressive but I was thinking of the huge hit single on that album, who's title escapes me that is still a radio staple and not so much the deep cuts.

Follow You, Follow Me
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:30 am

So far, I've re-written/updated reviews for Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, ...And Then There Were Three..., Duke and 3 Sides Live. Ya'll got me stuck on a Genesis kick!

Brought Selling England By the Pound with me today! Very Happy

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 1:07 pm

"Can you tell where my country lies..."

"The Firth Of Fifth" piano intro is great, too.

I beleive "Selling" leads into "Trick" better than leading into the "The Lamb" album.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 1:42 pm

I also played "Calling All Stations" this morning. Haven't actually heard it since it first came out. It's actually not as bad as I initially thought. Re-wrote that review too. By the time I'm done, I'll have revamped almost the entire Genesis page. Razz

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 2:01 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I also played "Calling All Stations" this morning. Haven't actually heard it since it first came out. It's actually not as bad as I initially thought. Re-wrote that review too. By the time I'm done, I'll have revamped almost the entire Genesis page. Razz

Once I get a chance I will re-read it
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 2:37 pm

manny wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I haven't posted any of the new/updated reviews yet. Still the old stuff. It will probably be a few weeks before I get another update up.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 2:55 pm

ultmetal wrote:
manny wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I haven't posted any of the new/updated reviews yet. Still the old stuff. It will probably be a few weeks before I get another update up.

Let us know when you finish and I will read them all, looking forward to reading them.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 3:20 pm

ultmetal wrote:

I thought that album was pretty good. I haven't heard it in a while I think I'll actually put it on now. Shame they didn't make atleast one more album.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 2:38 pm

Put up a bunch of updated Genesis reviews on my site, including this one.
http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/genesis.htm

PostSubject: Re: Genesis - A Trick of the Tail   Genesis - A Trick of the Tail Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1