Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Death Magnetic is awesome!

Go down 
+41
tohostudios
troublemagnet
holydiver97595
kmorg
Witchfinder
SpectreFate
candlemass
thesentinel
fingers
Lurideath
Alex Dee Rokket
mlotek
bassman
Mglaffas81
EvyMetal
DeathMasqueRed
skullkrusher
James B.
sheets
krokus
Gilbert
Eyesore
rawr!
thejokeriv
exact33
stepcousin
Troublezone
adrian
Joe
metalinmyveins
MoonChild
manny
Temple of Blood
Thrasher73
mc666
DeathCult
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Death Magnetic is awesome! - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Magnetic is awesome!   Death Magnetic is awesome! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Ive also enjoyed the last few releases of Megadeth much more. Now I do like some of St Anger and some of Death Magnetic
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Death Magnetic is awesome!   Death Magnetic is awesome! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 8:12 pm

Death Magnetic blows St. Anger out of the water, that's for sure - I'm not sure how the album sounds forced, but maybe it's just me - don't get me wrong, I'm no dillusioned fanatic who can't do anything else than praise everything Metallica does, I'm really not - But I really like Death Magnetic, and when I heard the opening franzy of "That Was Just Your Life", I smiled and banged my head - Metallica rule! headbanger
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Death Magnetic is awesome!   Death Magnetic is awesome! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Another problem is they didn't jam on riffs in the studio like bands would back in the day. Yeah, they might have brought it a bunch of ideas, but back in the 80s they would experiment with things live, by playing whatever it is they were trying to create.

With this album, however—and you can see this happening on the clips of them in the studio—they plugged all those ideas into Pro Tools and then sat in front of the computer rearranging riffs on a scale until they found things that fit. Yeah, that works, but it's unnatural.

When I say it sounds "cut-and-pasted," it's because there are few, if any, natural-sounding transitions between sections. In fact, a lot of times there is no transition at all; the band just stops playing for a second while maybe the drums or bass go on, and then in the comes the rest of the band with some new riff. It just doesn't work.

Whether that's forced or something else, I don't know. It's a decent record despite these issues, but if you want to see a Metallica album that is flawless in regards to all the things Death Magnetic fails at, see And Justice for All. That's easily their most "progressive" album, and it flows seamlessly, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death Magnetic is awesome!   Death Magnetic is awesome! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 8:28 pm

Justice has some rather clunky sections going on, that album wasn't exactly the model of restraint.

They were writing songs like Stephen King was writing novels, no less than 700 pages, 1200 is better!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death Magnetic is awesome!   Death Magnetic is awesome! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Another problem is they didn't jam on riffs in the studio like bands would back in the day. Yeah, they might have brought it a bunch of ideas, but back in the 80s they would experiment with things live, by playing whatever it is they were trying to create.

That's another very good point and why I'm not exactly jumping up and down that Rubin is producing the next record as well.

Back to top Go down
the reg
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: Death Magnetic is awesome!   Death Magnetic is awesome! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi im new here....i like death magnetic very much most of all for the return of kirk hammett......no metallica should not have kirks solos....imo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Death Magnetic is awesome!   Death Magnetic is awesome! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Welcome.

Good point about the guitar solos, they took the leash off again.
Back to top Go down
the reg
Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: Death Magnetic is awesome!   Death Magnetic is awesome! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 9:47 pm

It kinda surprised me that they forgot what made them legends in the first place....long intros,blistering guitar solos,8 minute songs,instrumentals....but i do feel st anger was a necesary album for them to make....i dont like it but im sure they learned a hell of alot from the experience...
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Death Magnetic is awesome!   Death Magnetic is awesome! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 10:08 pm

I don't know. I think Justice is perfect. I don't hear anything clunky there.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Death Magnetic is awesome!   Death Magnetic is awesome! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 10:10 pm

the reg wrote:
It kinda surprised me that they forgot what made them legends in the first place....long intros,blistering guitar solos,8 minute songs,instrumentals....but i do feel st anger was a necesary album for them to make....i dont like it but im sure they learned a hell of alot from the experience...
What made them legends were great songs. It had nothing to do with the components that made up those songs. Because as you can see, Death Magnetic has all those things and it's less than stellar. Bands must write good songs, whether short, long, complicated or simple.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Death Magnetic is awesome!   Death Magnetic is awesome! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Yeah, Justice is probably my favorite Metallica album, right next to Kill Em' All. I liked most of Death Magnetic and I don't know why everyone hates on the Unforgiven III, its one of my favs on the album.
Back to top Go down
the reg
Metal novice
Metal novice

PostSubject: Re: Death Magnetic is awesome!   Death Magnetic is awesome! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 10:35 pm

I agree that a good song is a good song no matter what the components are.metallica introduced a certain type of song if you will...they didnt care how long the intro was,how fast the song was,etc.all that mattered was that it was cool sounding..on st anger there was a huge lack of depth..on magnetic they regained a lot of that back..broken beaten and scarred is classic metallica...im sure the next album will b even better....
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Death Magnetic is awesome!   Death Magnetic is awesome! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 5:16 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I don't know. I think Justice is perfect. I don't hear anything clunky there.

Yeah, ...And Justice For All is my absolute favourite Metallica album - just pure brilliance all the way through. Lars' drumming is outstanding on this record, as are Kirk Hammett's solo's - just LISTEN to the closing three minutes of "One", or the lead work/solo's of the title track - or any other song for that matter. Justice is their absolute best album, and that is saying alot - of course, this is my opinion.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Death Magnetic is awesome!   Death Magnetic is awesome! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Eyesore wrote:
the reg wrote:
What made them legends were great songs. It had nothing to do with the components that made up those songs. Because as you can see, Death Magnetic has all those things and it's less than stellar. Bands must write good songs, whether short, long, complicated or simple.

I agree - in the end, its the songs that make or break an album for me.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Death Magnetic is awesome!   Death Magnetic is awesome! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 8:59 pm

Eyesore wrote:

I wish I saw more people on the net saying this sort of thing.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Death Magnetic is awesome!   Death Magnetic is awesome! - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Death Magnetic is awesome!
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6