Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!

Go down 
+16
chewie
Lurideath
exact33
stepcousin
manny
Temple of Blood
Sinistar
rawr!
MetalGuy71
jstate
James B.
Olafsto
mc666
krokus
EvyMetal
Alex Dee Rokket
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Empty
PostSubject: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 7:55 am

It has been almost 3 decades since heavy metal exploded onto the world, and since along with it came the various controversies that attempted to dirty and spoil heavy metal music and culture. Yet despite the many attempts by Christian groups, parent organisations and even the government itself, heavy metal has endured for decades since that time. Most who during the 1980s believe that heavy metal advocated lewd and crude acts, suicide, and other such negative behaviour have been silenced.

I am starting this thread because I recently came across a 20/20 report on heavy metal from the mid 1980s (circa 1986 / 87). The report tries to explain why the kids of the time listened to heavy metal, and what its effects were or perhaps would be on those who were fans of the musical genre. In a way, it tries to leave any prejudices at the door, to create a balanced view - giving the fans a voice yet in my eyes it comes to some misguided, misinformed and slanted conclusions.

The premise of this report is that heavy metal was somehow a form of brainwashing, a catalyst if you like of teen alienation, drug use, suicide among others.

I was a child in the 1980s, not a teen nor a young adult. My reality of the 1980s was somewhat different from the rest as I did not grow up in the West nor did I have access to much heavy metal except for the odd MTV tape here and there. Nevertheless I liked what I heard and little as I was I was instantly hooked to the music. However, it seems to me that the 1980s critics tried to brand heavy metal as some form of witchcraft, or social heresy.

As the report attempts to highlight, those who listened to heavy metal were outsiders and simply did not conform due to their looks and tastes to what society considered 'normal'. It appears to suggest that all have a predetermined future and destiny, and whatever that may be it heavy metal has no place in it.

Yet almost 30 years ago, the fans featured in this report were but mere teenagers filled with the same raw unadulterated energy and passion as any other teen. Listening to heavy metal did not make them any different to play a sport or belonging to some social and youth club.

Accusations of alienation, loneliness and aspirations of death and suicide could not be more misguided - the report itself shows how heavy metal is as much as hobby as any other "acceptable" hobby, guys and girls getting together and discussing their favorite bands and albums. Nothing lonely or macabre about that but it just so happened that the context was heavy metal.

Little did the detractors know that heavy metal music would spawn a new generation of intellectuals and thinkers in all shapes of life and industry. I do not know where those kids are nowadays but I can at least assume they have all grown up, have jobs and families - to some heavy metal may have become a life long passion, and to others it perhaps was but a mere phase of their teenager years. But I am somewhat certain they all lived and continue to live decent lives.

For myself I can say that I have always loved heavy metal. Since the age of 6 years old, much like one of the kids featured in the video, I was glued to the MTV tapes I had. I loved the stage presence, the imagery, the bravado, whatever you want to call it. It was theatrics that inspired me a passion inside of me - it almost called for a degree of betterment and perfectionism something that I feel I have carried on in my young adulthood.

One of the preppy girls in the 20/20 feature says teenagers who listen to heavy metal do not have role models or anyone to look up to but I beg to differ. A band like Iron Maiden, or even Metallica (without getting into the debate of selling out) can inspired much creativity and ambition in a young person's mind.
The success those bands attained through their hard work and dedication to their music, ultimately their trade, is equally as inspiring as a sportsperson, a movie actor, a writer, an activist, a philosopher.

I for one can say that I never turned to any negative things as a result of heavy metal or as a result of anything. I've always known what I wanted in life and I've pursued my dreams in a constructive, civilised and law abiding manner. Where I am at now is as a result of hard work and massive amounts of dedication - parts of which were inspired particularly by the success of bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica. Whilst I did not make it in the music industry, I nevertheless made it in an industry which requires as much hard work and dedication.

However, I feel like I need to cut 20/20 some slack - it was 1986 after all. The effects and consequences of heavy metal were no very well known at the time. But I do wish that those who put together the feature would look over it some 3 decades later in hope they will realise just how misguided and confused THEY were and not the heavy metal fans or musicians.

Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 2:04 pm

It's just music
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 2:17 pm

its a lot more then just music. Just music is pop, disco, but music like METAL, PUNK or NSBM is more then music, its a way of life for many. Only if you feel its like a way of life you understand what i am talking about, if not no. No need to explain this in words.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 2:36 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
It's just music
that's all it is to me too.

Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 4:25 pm

mc666 wrote:
EvyMetal wrote:
It's just music

Me too.
Love the music, dont care much for the so called Heavy Metal lifestyle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Another time... another place...

I spent alot of years traveling around the country in beat up Winebago's and banged up cargo vans playing for just enough money to put gas in the vehicle, throw some food down the neck and barely make it to the next town and gig. Then do the same thing over and over again. Any exra cash was wasted on booze and a shot of dope. The what if's can do some serious hurt to making the local dump have more stuff in it and that's about it.

Some may say that was wasted time ?
Some say that can be used as a tool ?

IMHO, that is/was a lifestyle. To me, putting on a leather jacket, a band shirt and hanging out at the bar an clubs is just playing a part. Why should you have to make such an outward expression regarding something that if it's "real" is an "inside" thing.

I am not knocking those that live the lifestyle in the manner it is defined by them. I just have a different perspective and opinion of what it means. To me it's like a lawyer who throws down 25 grand for a Harley and then rides around town in his full leather ensemble on Friday night and calls themselve a bker.

Anymore it is just another form of music that puts me in a certain place and under the right circumstances, a way to be creative with other musicians and express myself.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 10:25 am

If you think the 20/20 heavy metal report was bad you should look for the one they did on horror movies. Great thing about that one was them treating horror movies like some plague on society all the while showing endless kill scenes throughout. I also loved the way Barbra Walters would act all shocked and have this "what can we do to stop this" attitude. When they were the ones showing the scenes on national TV. After watching it, I was trying to track some of those movies down.

Here's a good one from that time period.....

Funny looking back at all the "satanic cult" paranoia.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 10:45 am

White people have been getting their panties in a bunch over music ever since their kids started listening to jazz and blues and all the other "colored" music of the day. According to them, society has been going down the crapper since the roaring 20's.

And yet, here we are. I'm gainfully employed, married, father of 3, non-drug user, occasional social drinker. I have neither banged, imprisoned or killed any prostitutes in my lifetime, nor do I have plans to in the forseeable future. I don't cuss around women or children, but I'll tell off-color jokes to the boys when the mood strikes. I don't cheat on my taxes or my wife. I don't torture or kill animals, but I will eat them if they're properly cooked. I primarily wear all black and drive a black car. In the winter, I wear a black Blues Brothers-style hat. I sport a short sensible haircut and I'm usually clean-shaven, except for some nifty sideburns. Raised Catholic, but not really religious.

And since about 1987, I've been listening to a steady diet of hard rock and heavy metal. It's really done a number on me. How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! 929854

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 12:17 pm

It's affected you, your avatar is proof. affraid

Look, shock sells so they make stuff shocking to sell it. And like anything, there's enough creeps in metal to make it look bad if that's what you focus on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 12:20 pm

When I was a teenager I was defensive over how Metal is perceived...but then I became an adult and survival was more important.

Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 4:37 pm

pretty much every action/belief/movement on earth is stereotyped, misunderstood, and demonized.....the media cashes in where it can and the sheep sway to the tune.
Back to top Go down
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

Number of posts : 141

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 4:56 pm

Ah the frightened 80s. They were the best of times, they were the worst of times.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 5:28 pm

rawr! wrote:
pretty much every action/belief/movement on earth is stereotyped, misunderstood, and demonized.....the media cashes in where it can and the sheep sway to the tune.

I tend to agree here.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 5:40 pm

The reason metal is maybe being embraced by mainstream media, movies, etc, is because the people that grew up on this music are now in charge.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 6:10 pm

Olafsto wrote:
mc666 wrote:
EvyMetal wrote:
It's just music

Me too.
Love the music, dont care much for the so called Heavy Metal lifestyle.

this.

Ive been listening to heavy metal since the mid 70's and I'll never stop listening to it. But it is just music, along with many other types I listen to, and I dont waste one single brain cell worrying about who likes it and who doesnt it.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 6:40 pm

mc666 wrote:
EvyMetal wrote:
It's just music

and me.

Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 12:04 pm

Well back in the 80's there was a strong stance against metal because parents in general thought it was evil and these talk shows and whatnot would keep pushing that same issue.

Metal is a lifestyle to me. Has been since I got into it.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 3:27 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Well back in the 80's there was a strong stance against metal because parents in general thought it was evil and these talk shows and whatnot would keep pushing that same issue.

Finaly somebody i can agree with. You and me understand what we are talking about. For you and me its more them music, its 100% dedication to the movement 24/7.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 3:46 pm

the only movement i'm dedicated to is on the toilet. Wink

exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 3:53 pm

krokus wrote:
Lurideath wrote:

Finaly somebody i can agree with. You and me understand what we are talking about. For you and me its more them music, its 100% dedication to the movement 24/7.

There are so many different expressions of 'metal' I find it hard to decide which one is 'tr00' to live the right lifestyle. I enjoy the music and follow the bands I like. I dont see any reason to dress or look or do certain things - which is really the heart of metal...

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 3:57 pm

I have no idea what the metal lifestyle is, I listen to the music, I support bands when they tour (when I can) but being a 40 year old father who works for a banking institution, I am very sure I do not live the metal lifestyle.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 4:00 pm

manny wrote:
I have no idea what the metal lifestyle is, I listen to the music, I support bands when they tour (when I can) but being a 40 year old father who works for a banking institution, I am very sure I do not live the metal lifestyle.

same here - banking institution and all!

Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

Number of posts : 141

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 4:18 pm

mc666 wrote:
the only movement i'm dedicated to is on the toilet. Wink

amen. nothin' like that mornin' constitutional.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 5:12 pm

krokus wrote:
Lurideath wrote:

I expect, Shannon's defintion of "lifestyle" and your's have some similarities but are vastily different when you discern the particulars.

If I saw you on the street, right now. How would I be able to tell you are livin' the metal lifestyle ? I have an inclination you may answer with the way you look, correct ? And if that is your answer. Isn't there much more to it than that ? I mean does long hair make one more "metal" than not having hair at all ? Using the same premise, I can say one isn't actually living the "lifestyle" unless thay are in a band. I am not knocking you by any means just merely curious about another perspective on this subject.

This is just to satisfy mere curiosity. Hopefully, I am not coming across as rattling your cage too much. That is not my intent.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 6:38 pm

James B. wrote:
Hopefully, I am not coming across as rattling your cage too much. That is not my intent.

Whatever..........

Your a drummer your supposed to rattle. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!   How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How far heavy metal culture has come and how wrong 'they' were!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next