Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Megadeth original pressings

Go down 
+14
Stender
Shawn Of Fire
Joe
skullkrusher
Alex Dee Rokket
Fat Freddy
adrian
DeathMasqueRed
exact33
DeathCult
chewie
James B.
Smindas
troublemagnet
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 11:42 pm

The reason Slayer and Megadeth sell fewer copies now than 15-20 years ago is because a lot of their fans are older and don't buy new music...

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 12:43 am

I'm not entirely sure that is the case. Whenever I attend Slayer and Megadeth concerts i always see more younger than older fans. I seldom see that many 40 and 50 year olds - the audience is mostly 18 - 35.

However, I think it's the fact that younger audiences either don't have the money for it or just don't really buy albums but selected songs. It's likely they may have bought one of the greatest hits boxsets and they're set with those until they become bigger fans.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 2:44 am

Smindas wrote:

Apologies for the probably incoherent ramble, it's been a long night.

ITS GONNA BE A LONG NIGHT

Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 7:32 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
The reason Slayer and Megadeth sell fewer copies now than 15-20 years ago is because a lot of their fans are older and don't buy new music...

maybe...

but I just don't like their new stuff enough to give them my money anymore
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 9:26 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
I'm not entirely sure that is the case. Whenever I attend Slayer and Megadeth concerts i always see more younger than older fans. I seldom see that many 40 and 50 year olds - the audience is mostly 18 - 35.

However, I think it's the fact that younger audiences either don't have the money for it or just don't really buy albums but selected songs. It's likely they may have bought one of the greatest hits boxsets and they're set with those until they become bigger fans.

Nope............most younger kids would rather download for free than pay for a cd.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 2:52 pm

James B. wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

Nope............most younger kids would rather download for free than pay for a cd.

I would agree. Most of the guys I know in their teens wouldnt touch a cd unless as a last resort. Downloading is quicker and more gratifying.

metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 3:44 pm

I like the remasters ok, but they are not as good as the originals, to me. If Dave had simply beefed up the volume and cleaned up the original mixes, they would've been fine, but when he changed much of the original sound it was too much of a change.

As far as the originals, I have both versions of Killing Is My Business (one with and one without These Boots) and I have So Far, So Good...So What! I still need to get the original Peace Sells.

Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 6:28 pm

metalheaded wrote:
I like the remasters ok, but they are not as good as the originals, to me. If Dave had simply beefed up the volume and cleaned up the original mixes, they would've been fine, but when he changed much of the original sound it was too much of a change.

Agreed,...90%.

SFSGSW originally sounded like crap, and in Mustaine's book, NOW I finally read he admits it too.
THAT one is worth getting the remaster if you hated most of the original like me.

It was a mistake remixing RISK, as I liked half of it off the bat and eventually grew into all of it.
Put it against one of Diamond Head's lesser releases, like Canterbury, and it really is a great hard rock/heavy metal album.

(I hope I didn't offend any DH fans, but I dig fast tunes like I'm Electric a million times more compared To The Devil His Due).
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 11:27 am

I have all my originals except for 2.

I got the remastered Killing Is My Business because my original copy was beat to hell (bought it used in that condition) and it didn't have 'These Boots' on it. The other one is Dave's side project MD.45 because I never owned the original.

I've heard too many negative opinions on the other releases to be bothered with them. And my originals have been played so much over the years that I've grown accustomed to their charms, bad production and all.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 12:50 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I have all my originals except for 2.

I got the remastered Killing Is My Business because my original copy was beat to hell (bought it used in that condition) and it didn't have 'These Boots' on it. The other one is Dave's side project MD.45 because I never owned the original.

I've heard too many negative opinions on the other releases to be bothered with them. And my originals have been played so much over the years that I've grown accustomed to their charms, bad production and all.

I get nervous when too many changes are made to albums - just clean up the sound and give us some bonus tracks. There is no need to go all George Lucas and change the album...

Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 1:10 pm

I have the non-remastered versions of Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?, So Far, So Good...So What!, and Rust in Peace.

I remember hearing that Killing is My Business...And Business is Good! was out of print, both original and remaster, at one point. I own the remaster of that one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 1:12 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

That and the younger fans, if they get the music at all, are just getting it off a torrent.

It's pretty widely known and accepted that most older fans don't buy new music...

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 1:13 pm

mlotek wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

maybe...

Maybe nothing...it's how it is. Most older fans have the same opinion...they don't like anything new.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 2:08 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
The other one is Dave's side project MD.45 because I never owned the original.
Ugh, the remaster of MD.45 is pretty bleak. I'd definitely seek out the original as Lee Ving really made that album something special.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 2:48 pm

Smindas wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
The other one is Dave's side project MD.45 because I never owned the original.
Ugh, the remaster of MD.45 is pretty bleak. I'd definitely seek out the original as Lee Ving really made that album something special.

I vaugely remember the original that my friend played. I wasn't much of a punk fan, so I wasn't overly impressed with the vocals. Actually, it was probably more like "Dude, this guy sucks". Razz When it got re-released with Dave's vocals and extra guitar work, I just looked at it as a Dave solo album, which suited me just fine. I think it was coming off the heels of the horrid Risk album too, so it made the MD.45 album sound even better to my ears.

If I came across a cheap copy of the original, I'd probably pick it up just for the heck of it, but as it stands now, I can live without it.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 2:53 pm

I've never heard either version of the MD.45 disc but if I were to seek out one over the other, it'd probably be the only time that the remaster would win out over the original. I'd rather hear Dave's vox than Lee Ving.

Nothin' against Lee Ving, I'm just a Dave fanboy. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 8:04 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
mlotek wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

maybe...

Maybe nothing...it's how it is. Most older fans have the same opinion...they don't like anything new.

I hope I dont get like that. Some bands do offer weak stuff but there are a lot of older bands doing quite nicely.

Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 2:54 am

The only re-masters I own are Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings.

There is no difference between them and the original except the song Use the Man on the Cryptic Writing re-issue does not have the Pins and Needles intro (which I thought was kinda cool on the original).

I'm going to track down the originals of both Youth and Cryptic - which should not be hard to find at all.

The bonus tracks on Cryptic are not too bad although the spanish version of Trust is horrible.

I love all Megadeth albums so for me both Youth and Cryptic are really good but the re-issues are nothing spectacular.

If Dave were to release something special he should do another Hidden Treasures album as I am sure there are a number of Megadeth songs released since the last HIdden Treasures album that have not made it on any official Megadeth albums.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 3:28 am

I might be wrong on this, but I think pretty much everything that could constitute a second Hidden Treasures got released in that Warchest box-set. Although, there are certainly a few B-sides from United Abominations that are fairly elusive.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 10:07 am

Smindas wrote:
I might be wrong on this, but I think pretty much everything that could constitute a second Hidden Treasures got released in that Warchest box-set. Although, there are certainly a few B-sides from United Abominations that are fairly elusive.

Yea, I think between the re-issues with all the bonus tracks and the Warchest box set, most of their "hidden treasures" up to this point have seen the light of day. There might be a few Japanese-only tracks out there floating around, but I don't know if there is enough for a whole albums worth.

Isn't it about time for Megadeth to record a whole album of cover tunes? All the cool kids are doing it. Razz

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 10:10 am

Joe wrote:
I remember when the remasters first came out there were dozens of the originals you could get dirt cheap.

Yup, I picked up the last couple of original Deths that I needed to upgrade from cassette to CD around that time. I remember thinking "Are people really ditching their original CDs in favor of these things? Duh." Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Megadeth original pressings   Megadeth original pressings - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Megadeth original pressings
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2