Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A question about Japanese pressings

Go down 
+2
SideShowDisaSter
sovdat
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

A question about Japanese pressings Empty
PostSubject: A question about Japanese pressings   A question about Japanese pressings Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 1:10 pm

... Did / do all the CDs, pressed in Japan, come with an obi strip, or
is it possible, that they were originally released without it (and it
wasn't lost through the years)?
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: A question about Japanese pressings   A question about Japanese pressings Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 1:29 pm

I could be wrong, and someone may feel free to correct me if I am, but I believe all Japanese pressings come with an OBI strip as it is the Japanese version of a UPC. If it doesn't have one, and it wasn't lost, chances are (as far as I know) it's a bootleg.

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: A question about Japanese pressings   A question about Japanese pressings Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 1:30 pm

Just thought of this; if that album was an independent release then maybe it wouldn't have an OBI. That's the only reason I could think of, though.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: A question about Japanese pressings   A question about Japanese pressings Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 1:50 pm

For example, I have Priest in the East CD without OBI, and it has the
UPC (bar code) pressed on the CD - back insert. I know that there's
another version, with OBI, and also with different barcode number etc.

I'm just listening to Fabulous Disaster CD, which was released by CBS
Sony Records (that Judas Priest CD was by Epic / Sony), and I also got
it without OBI, but it has the barcode (I bought it from pricekillers).
Same goes with the Japanese version of Twisted into Form, which I
recently won on ebay (haven't received it yet)

A question about Japanese pressings C530_1

I guess that it was also released on Sony, as all have the same design
of the back insert (the black part with barcode on the right). However,
I also saw a copy once on ebay, which had the obi, so either the seller
lost it or it is another one (which makes another version of my
favorite album to get haha Smile - this is my sixth Smile )
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: A question about Japanese pressings   A question about Japanese pressings Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 5:08 pm

I have bought a few foreign albums off of the Internet that did not have bar codes on the album spine, but on a UPC sticker on the back. I guess it's a country kind of thing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: A question about Japanese pressings   A question about Japanese pressings Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 10:36 pm

Hey Sov - I believe if the album is licenced to a Japanese label, and they are re-issuing it Japan, then they basically will just add the Japanese lyric book, and maybe some info at the bottom of the tray liner. I have some "Shark" stuff that also has the UPC (I think) AND obi.

ps - You are gonna want to check out my auctions this week!!!
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: A question about Japanese pressings   A question about Japanese pressings Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 5:35 pm

Bump. I am curious why a Japanese OBI makes an album so much more valuable? Especially if it contains no additional or bonus tracks. Would it not just be another import, or are Japanes imports more valuable some how due the pressing numbers?
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: A question about Japanese pressings   A question about Japanese pressings Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 6:17 pm

325ad wrote:
Bump. I am curious why a Japanese OBI makes an album so much more valuable? Especially if it contains no additional or bonus tracks. Would it not just be another import, or are Japanes imports more valuable some how due the pressing numbers?

I think its mostly about the completeness factor. To some collectors, having no OBI strip for a jap pressing is almost as bad as missing the front or back insert from the case.

Japanese imports usually have much better sound than the north american or european pressings in my experience.
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: A question about Japanese pressings   A question about Japanese pressings Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 8:11 pm

Stender wrote:
325ad wrote:

I think its mostly about the completeness factor. To some collectors, having no OBI strip for a jap pressing is almost as bad as missing the front or back insert from the case.

Japanese imports usually have much better sound than the north american or european pressings in my experience.

Really, I did not know that. I was interested in knowing why there is such a difference in Japanese pressing of Renascent - Through Darkness on King Records vs The Metal Union version. Personally I like the Metal Union version better. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: A question about Japanese pressings   A question about Japanese pressings Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 8:56 pm

To the hardcore collector, a Japanese album/CD without the OBI strip is like a comic book without the cover.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A question about Japanese pressings   A question about Japanese pressings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A question about Japanese pressings
Page 1 of 1