Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Finally moved into my new house

Go down 
+9
chewie
kmorg
bassman
thejokeriv
tohostudios
exact33
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
A Handful of Wayne
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:38 pm

I think the renting/owning argument comes down to can you afford to live in a home with utilities/repairs factored in. I counsel a lot of people who are first time homebuyers to set a budget first and then figure out how much home they can afford. People do it backwards and a lot of people end up being renters masquerading as home-owners.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:42 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Trust me, owning a home is worth it.

Yeah, it can be a moneypit but between the fact of not sharing a common wall with a stranger and the pride of ownership, it's totally worth it.

I kick myself daily for renting for so long.

My dad says there is that, but it wears off after so long. But then again he is almost 65, has no way to retire, and he's on the road most of the time so those can be factors in his feelings towards owning a home. Either way, one of these days I want my own home. However, at this point I just want my own place, periond, whether I'm renting or owning. Yeah, when my dad is not home I feel like I have my own place but it's just not the same.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:43 pm

It's still the best economic move I've ever made.

I paid enough down that the house instantly was worth more than I owed.

And I've been throwing an extra $500 at my mortgage every month for almost 6 years. My goal is to have this place paid off by the time I retire and I'm well on my way.

But you're right; don't get into a mortgage you can't handle.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:43 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Yeah, it can be a moneypit but between the fact of not sharing a common wall with a stranger and the pride of ownership, it's totally worth it.

My dad says there is that, but it wears off after so long. But then again he is almost 65, has no way to retire, and he's on the road most of the time so those can be factors in his feelings towards owning a home. Either way, one of these days I want my own home. However, at this point I just want my own place, periond, whether I'm renting or owning. Yeah, when my dad is not home I feel like I have my own place but it's just not the same.

I totally understand that. I rented a townhome my first year away from home. I think I bought my first home too soon though. If I had to it over again, I think I would have rented for another year and then bought. Too much pressure when you are young to have a home.

exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:45 pm

tohostudios wrote:
It's still the best economic move I've ever made.

I paid enough down that the house instantly was worth more than I owed.

And I've been throwing an extra $500 at my mortgage every month for almost 6 years. My goal is to have this place paid off by the time I retire and I'm well on my way.

But you're right; don't get into a mortgage you can't handle.

Owning your home in retirement is one of the best things you can do. That is my goal as well but I am just starting again since I moved in June. I own half of the property though right now.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:47 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I can really relate to that feeling.

I had to move home for about a year after graduating college and it was tough. I'd gotten used to doing things my way and had to adapt to doing things my parents' way.

My advice: Get your own place as soon as you can. Rent or own doesn't matter.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:49 pm

tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I can really relate to that feeling.

I had to move home for about a year after graduating college and it was tough. I'd gotten used to doing things my way and had to adapt to doing things my parents' way.

and invite us over when you do! We will throw you a proper house-bur... warming party!!!

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:59 pm

tohostudios wrote:

That time may come sooner than later. I don't want to jinx it but I may finally get hired for an automotive job before the week is over. I just need to get some professional references (I can get them tonight) and await the call to finalize it.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:03 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

That time may come sooner than later. I don't want to jinx it but I may finally get hired for an automotive job before the week is over. I just need to get some professional references (I can get them tonight) and await the call to finalize it.

Good luck DB!

Being in your own place (whether renting or owning) is very liberating.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 11:16 pm

Good luck DB.

I never had the privalage to rent but seeing what my friends pay for rent and what they can and can't do sucks. I'm not the quietest person but I'm not the loudest either. I like to watch movies with my surround sound on and listen to music not to mention play drums.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 11:55 pm

I got so lucky with a motivated seller that I had 15 grand in equity the day we closed the sale. Now that's buying cheap! My house payment, including taxes and insurance, is less than I paid in rent when I was single.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 7:55 am

Good luck DB!!! Just dont use us as references!!!

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 12:21 pm

Good luck DB, hoping the years starts out with a nice break for you.

Being in your own home is the better way to go if you can afford it but being moneywise is key.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 12:41 pm

I never owned a home always been a renter since I was 16. During the housing boom, this tool I barely knew offered me the 'deal of a lifetime' 0 down with somewhere crap, I was attempted for about 5 seconds, but I did not want to get in a situation where if the roof leaked or air conditioner broke down, I would not be able to afford it , so I told him forget about it.

Later on that year ran into some money issue, the housing market in Florida ( and every where else) tanked and the guy trying to sell me a house was arrested by the Feds.

Would love to own a home but even thou I am 40, I know I am not ready to own a home.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 12:59 pm

My then-fiancee (now wife) and I rented an apartment (the upstairs level of a very nice little old lady's house) for two and a half years. When we got married, we immediately went looking for our "own" place (I put "own" in quotes since of course, we don't really "own" any part of it yet, the bank does...hahaha).

It's nice having your "own" piece of God's green earth and all that, but I gotta tell ya, I really miss the apartment days when it snows, when the grass needs mowing, the leaves need raking, etc., etc. ... when we were renting, all I had to do about those chores was sit in my upstairs window and watch our landlady's crew of landscapers take care of it for us. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 3:37 pm

Hahaha yea thats one good thing about renting (in some places). I busted my butt cleaning the yard and it still isn't done. I left a pile of leaves around a tree in the back yard. The lawn mower ran out of gas lol

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 3:51 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Hahaha yea thats one good thing about renting (in some places). I busted my butt cleaning the yard and it still isn't done. I left a pile of leaves around a tree in the back yard. The lawn mower ran out of gas lol

...well, at least now it's all covered with snow so you don't have to worry about it till Spring. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 3:55 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
My then-fiancee (now wife) and I rented an apartment (the upstairs level of a very nice little old lady's house) for two and a half years. When we got married, we immediately went looking for our "own" place (I put "own" in quotes since of course, we don't really "own" any part of it yet, the bank does...hahaha).

It's nice having your "own" piece of God's green earth and all that, but I gotta tell ya, I really miss the apartment days when it snows, when the grass needs mowing, the leaves need raking, etc., etc. ... when we were renting, all I had to do about those chores was sit in my upstairs window and watch our landlady's crew of landscapers take care of it for us. Laughing

it is nice not having to shovel the snow. I just hated in the townhome that i would shovel mine, go to work and my neighbors shoveled their snow into my parking spots...

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 4:14 pm

exact33 wrote:

it is nice not having to shovel the snow. I just hated in the townhome that i would shovel mine, go to work and my neighbors shoveled their snow into my parking spots...

In my neighborhood, some of the A-holes aim their snowblowers so it shoots the snow out into the road. Then when you try to drive over it later, it's like going through a field of glaciers. angry

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 4:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
exact33 wrote:

In my neighborhood, some of the A-holes aim their snowblowers so it shoots the snow out into the road. Then when you try to drive over it later, it's like going through a field of glaciers. angry

Why don't you report them to the city? There might be an ordinance...
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

That's why when I have my own place, I will make sure I can afford a landscape service or have a rock garden (though they almost always look ridiculous). And of course snow is not a big problem around here.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 7:42 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

That's why when I have my own place, I will make sure I can afford a landscape service or have a rock garden (though they almost always look ridiculous). And of course snow is not a big problem around here.

That's me bro!

I have a lawn service, a bug spraying service and a tree service.

The only actual work I do is weeding flowerbeds, planting flower bulbs and mulching.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 7:55 pm

tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

That's me bro!

I have a lawn service, a bug spraying service and a tree service.

The only actual work I do is weeding flowerbeds, planting flower bulbs and mulching.

I dont know - mowing and doing stuff for the lawn is very theraputic for me. If I see any little kids- the chase is on!

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 8:04 pm

I love it when August hits and some of my neighbors are outside sweating their butts off while they cut their grass. Not me; I stay in the air conditioning and watch my lawn guys cut it.

But in all honesty, most of the homeowners in my subdivision hire someone to cut their grass. I just happen to be sandwiched between two families who'd rather do it themselves.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 8:07 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I love it when August hits and some of my neighbors are outside sweating their butts off while they cut their grass. Not me; I stay in the air conditioning and watch my lawn guys cut it.

But in all honesty, most of the homeowners in my subdivision hire someone to cut their grass. I just happen to be sandwiched between two families who'd rather do it themselves.

I am old fashioned I guess - I like to do it myself. I get that people dont like to do it but to each their own I guess.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally moved into my new house   Finally moved into my new house - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally moved into my new house
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next