Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Three years ago today........

Go down 
+21
Troublezone
James B.
stepcousin
Thrasher73
Leatherface
adrian
Hamer12
thejokeriv
A Handful of Wayne
ZetaReticuli
exact33
bassman
nevermore
DallasBlack
kmorg
chewie
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
manny
Joe
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

Three years ago today........ Empty
PostSubject: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 10:37 am

….my daughter was relieved from her suffering. Isabella was born with congenital hypotonia, which later would be diagnosed as an undiagnosed congenital myopathy (a disease of the muscles). Very similar to Muscular Dystrophy, she had very limited to no use of her limbs, could not effectively swallow, so she had to be fed through a G-tube, and could not take deep breaths therefore required to be on oxygen at all times.

Born on May 5th 2007, Isabella stayed in the NICU for 2 months before my wife and I were able to bring her home. The Doctors gave us the grave diagnosis that she would not make it to her 1st birthday and that the common cold would be a threat to her life. My wife and I were up for the challenge, as we learned to care for our only child. We were allowed to receive 40 hours a week of nurse care through sources that we contacted, but there was no way we were going to let someone else care for our child.

Isabella needed round the clock care and required breathing treatments, physical therapy, frequent suctioning of her secretions, and G-tube feedings. She had to be connected to a monitor which would tell us the saturation levels of her oxygen, and an alarm would sound off to let us know if it should fall below acceptable levels. This happened daily, sometimes she would turn blue as she would stop breathing altogether by choking on her own saliva. Let me tell you, the sound of that damn alarm still haunts me in my sleep.

After about two months, Isabella caught the common cold, and we were able to nurse her through it, but it did weaken her. Through all this she was still developing. We could get her to smile often, which would inspire us to keep going. At one point, I even got her to laugh, which was something we were told she would not be able to do, as her diaphragm muscles were too weak to even produce a cough.

Isabella was with us for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s, which I will always remember as the best three holidays of my life. No others will ever come close to compare.

On January 10th 2008, Isabella fell ill. We had no idea what we were in for. In the middle of the night, I was awoken by my wife screaming my name telling me to call 911. Isabella was struggling to breathe. We were able to stabilize her, but we knew we needed to take her in. She suffered so badly that night and it absolutely destroys me to this day. When the doctors told us she had pneumonia and wanted to connect her to a ventilator, we knew what had to be done. We knew there was no way she would ever come off the ventilator and that her quality of life was all but over. My wife and I agreed that it was time to just make Isabella comfortable and let her pass peacefully. On the morning of January 11th 2008, Isabella took her final breathe in her mother’s arms.

Thank you for taking the time to read her story.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 10:40 am

Beautiful story, Joe. I'm so sorry for your loss, but she no longer suffers and she is at peace. I admire a man that can go through that and be man enough to tell her story.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 10:41 am

Thank you for sharing, it is heartbreaking and I do not know what to say to a loss that is unimaginable to me, thank you again for telling us Isabelle's story.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 11:35 am

Very,very sad.I have tears in my eyes. A truly heartbreaking story but thank you for sharing it. My deepest condolences.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 11:51 am

Tears here too. You and your wife are strong people Joe. Thank you for sharing.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks for sharing this. My condolences for your loss.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 12:21 pm

Sad, very sad........... Condolences.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 12:32 pm

My deepest condolences! A heartbreaking read. Thanks for shareing your story on this dark day.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 12:49 pm

I could never begin to unerstand a loss that deep. Deepest condolences to you and you're wife. At least her suffering was ended.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 12:57 pm

Joe, your story brought tears to my eyes. I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 1:04 pm

That is a truly heartbreaking story and I am sorry for your loss. My nephew has very severe cerebral palsy and spent months in the NICU before he could come home. He wieghed barely a pound at birth and was delivered by emergency C-section 11 weeks early. He's done lots of things the doctors said he would never do but will probably need care at some level his whole life. My sister sounds like a doctor herself because she does as much of his care as she can without help.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 1:59 pm

RIP Isabella, I can tell you were a great gift to your parents.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 2:16 pm

My thoughts are with you Joe.

ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 2:31 pm

that sucks, sorry to hear
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Very sad to hear Joe. Sorry for your loss.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 3:18 pm

I am sorry Joe - very sad
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 3:31 pm

Thanks for sharing, no words can describe such a loss. I have 2 girls of my own, you made this fat dude cry!!
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 7:44 pm

My condolences.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:57 am

So sorry to hear. My deepest condolences.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:05 am

Big love and great juju to you and the spouse, joe.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:49 am

Sorry for your loss Joe.That is such a heartbreaking story.With children of my own that kinda stuff hits me where I live.God bless ya bro.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 5:56 pm

Dude, I feel like cryin' after reading this......Joe, you and your wife are incredibly brave.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 6:03 pm

Thanks for expressing the love you had for your child. Many kids who are not terminaly ill or sick for that matter, never experience love in that capacity. Your daughter was blessed and I am blessed from reading about it.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 8:03 pm

I'm sorry for your loss... it's heartbreaking.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:25 pm

As a 24 year old I can never even fathom what that feels like. I am very sorry for your loss and my heart nearly broke in two after reading that story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Three years ago today........   Three years ago today........ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Three years ago today........
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next