Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?

Go down 
+13
manny
Zdan
Gilbert
EvyMetal
Leatherface
bassman
Joe
mc666
Stender
Fat Freddy
rawr!
GrandNational
325ad
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Empty
PostSubject: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 6:18 pm

Weird, I did a search for Black and Unblack Metal and I got nothing so I decided to start one. Go. I love the stuff and the atmosphere found within it, abit it being a bit dark. headbanger

Last edited by 325ad on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 6:41 pm

What's Unblack? I've always thought that black people in metal bands were cool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 6:44 pm

I can only listen to the early '90's material from bands like Mayhem, Darkthrone & Emperor etc.... after that wave of bands I never enjoyed the genre as much, I still dig out them old vinyls and tapes

Of course others will throw Bathory & possibly Venom in to the Black Metal section also, but that's a different debate.
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 7:12 pm

black metal is what i listen to most nowadays but im not nearly as experienced with the greats as id like to be. im going band by band acquiring discographies and digesting each bands evolutionary path. as for "unblack", its sort of a joke, but, then, so is black metal itself. i was raised christian, though im not one now, so i was big on underground christian black metal when it was the only black metal i was listening to. i still keep up with it when i have people in the scene offering me albums and such, or if there are bands i care enough about, like shadows of paragon or slechtvalk or enshrouding. sad to say, a lot of "unblack" pales in comparison to whats really out there, and there isnt a lot of variation in the interpretation of black metal being played.

i love variety when it comes to black metal....though ill often be found listening to the more extreme side of things in terms of playing with marduk and cirith gorgor and bands that basically play second wave black metal with death metal sensibilities. id add belphegor to the category if they were focused on black metal enough to be black metal instead of black/death. i like the avant garde leanings of bands, like in the french scene, especially deathspell omegas later offerings, i like dsbm (though i havent gotten a chance to examine the real pillars of the art in that case), i like raw black metal, i like ambient black metal (if the ambient part doesnt take over or if im just in the mood for music with a lot of ambient), i love adequately aggressive folk/black, etc

i still have a ridiculous amount more to discover, so i consider myself pretty new to the non-sectionalized metal scene.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 7:30 pm

"Unblack Metal" is one of the silliest genre classifications I've ever heard. Every time I see it, I just roll my eyes.

....Just sayin'. I know nothing about the genre(s), but I just had to get that off my chest..

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 7:53 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
"Unblack Metal" is one of the silliest genre classifications I've ever heard. Every time I see it, I just roll my eyes.

....Just sayin'. I know nothing about the genre(s), but I just had to get that off my chest..

kinda like "white metal"
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 7:54 pm

"unblack" is silly, but there are lots of silly words in black metal, like "unlight", for example. christians wanting to be separate, or being forced to be separate due to the lyrical content/philosophical position negating the spirit of what came to be considered "black metal", is an unfortunate political consideration. or you can just blame jayson sherlock, despite the precursor to that political division probably being in part the "white metal" movement in the 80s and 90s, though that was a bit more vague because of regional differences with definition from what ive read. at the end of the day, i agree that they definitely couldve chosen a better term...

edit: exactly stender
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 7:56 pm

Interesting, I've been told to be true Black Metal a band should be very kvlt with shadowy labels and little publicity. A friend is being raged by True Black Metalist for starting a facebook page, I said do not worry about it. Myspace is all but dead! Hmm. Rolling Eyes So how old is too old to like Black Metal?
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 8:14 pm

Stender wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

kinda like "white metal"

Exactly what I was getting at fellas.....
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 8:54 pm

i love black metal, but i'm very picky about it. i don't like that pompous symphonic stuff, nor am i crazy about the "viking" or "pagan" directions. just give me the good ole grim, raw, chaotic, satanic stuff. sh*t like Gorgoroth, Watain, Dark Funeral, Impaled Nazarene, Marduk, Tsjuder, etc. that's what i like.

Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 10:08 pm

I like all kinds of Black Metal, from the old, raw, primitive stuff, to the symphonic stuff (although not too symphonic, I dig Emperor though). I haven't really tried all the "viking" stuff. Blackened Thrash and Blackened Death I like alot too.
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 10:13 pm

does anyone know of any (good?) blackened breakcore bands? seems like kind of a long shot, but its a running joke between a friend and i.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 10:16 pm

I am by no means an expert on Black metal, I like early Extol, Lengsel, Crimson Moonlight, Pantokrator, and some of the newer bands that are basically death with black metal influences. I really haven't gotten into the hardcore satanic bands because , as much as I might enjoy the music , I have HUGE problems with lyrical content in those bands.

Last edited by bassman on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 10:36 pm

bassman wrote:
I am by no means an expert on Black meal, I like early Extol, Lengsel, Crimson Moonlight, Pantokrator, and some of the newer bands that are basically death with black metal influences. I really haven't gotten into the hardcore satanic bands because , as much as I might enjoy the music , I have HUGE problems with lyrical content in those bands.

You would probably like "A Hill to Die Upon" then.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 10:58 pm

325ad wrote:
bassman wrote:
I am by no means an expert on Black meal, I like early Extol, Lengsel, Crimson Moonlight, Pantokrator, and some of the newer bands that are basically death with black metal influences. I really haven't gotten into the hardcore satanic bands because , as much as I might enjoy the music , I have HUGE problems with lyrical content in those bands.

You would probably like "A Hill to Die Upon" then.

I have heard of them but just haven't bought it yet, it sounds like the kind of thing I would like. I like Becoming the Archetype's The Physics of Fire album, it has those black metal influences I mentioned. Since joining this board there are so many bands I need to check out I can't keep up.
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 11:05 pm

i havent listened to infinite titanic immortal yet even though its been sitting around for quite a long time, which is a real shame because ive only heard good things about it. im just afraid of less than savory musical influences ruining the experience for me---it may very well be an unfounded paranoia.

the only bands i avoid are the nsbm bands, and thats not due to lyrical content, but more on the principle of denying the promulgation of their idiocy.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I like all types of black metal. My favorite being the early stuff from the 80s like Bathory and Hellhammer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 12:13 am

I don't really listen to it very often, but I always have liked what I hear.

I listen to Evilfeast, Carpathian Forest, Bathory, Urgehal, and the folk-cross bands.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 3:24 am

I barely listen to any black metal, especially if the lyrics are anti christian.
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 11:12 am

Gilbert wrote:

I barely listen to any black metal, especially if the lyrics are anti christian.
That is what UnBlack is suppose to be for.

For those who do not want a Christian or a Satanic message but one of epic battles, try Eluveitie or the new Skyforger -Kurbards though more along the lines of folk than true Black Metal.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 12:15 pm

Only black metal that I like is the very early 'first wave' stuff like Venom, Bathory, Bulldozer and the like. The rest does not exist to me (with the exception of Darkthrone).
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 2:41 pm

325ad wrote:
more along the lines of folk than true Black Metal.
i hate that stuff.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 2:47 pm

mc666 wrote:
i love black metal, but i'm very picky about it. i don't like that pompous symphonic stuff, nor am i crazy about the "viking" or "pagan" directions. just give me the good ole grim, raw, chaotic, satanic stuff. sh*t like Gorgoroth, Watain, Dark Funeral, Impaled Nazarene, Marduk, Tsjuder, etc. that's what i like.

I admit I know very little about this genre I like Mayhem, 1492, Dark Funeral, and Emperor, and that is the bands I like in the genre and it is also as far as my knowledge of the genre goes, but mc666 what the hell is viking metal? (saw it referred to it as a separte off shot of black metal genre on another site)
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 3:01 pm

I enjoy exactly one black metal album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 3:06 pm

manny wrote:
but mc666 what the hell is viking metal?

I'd classify Enslaved in that category, Viking Mythology etc... in their lyrical themes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?    Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Black or Unblack Metal fans?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next