Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...

Go down 
+14
Knightfall
Metal Misfit
Metallic Blaze
Lurideath
Orion Crystal Ice
krokus
SlaytanicPOWER
mc666
kmorg
Troublezone
Dave the Boss
manny
ultmetal
MetalRob331
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Empty
PostSubject: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 2:19 pm

I have a strong interest in Black Metal...more from an anthropological angle than anything, I guess...but I want to hear some. One thing I admire about the "Black Metal mentality" would be the feirce independence that some of the die-hard "true" fans/artists of the genre have. I'm not talking about the Dimmu Borgir or Cradle Of Filth stuff...that's the slick, "commercialized" version of Black Metal...I'm talking the raw, ugly stuff that spawned from guys who could barely play but had a vision.

So, for you Black Metal fans out there, reccomend me ONE album by each of the following bands:

Mayhem
Burzum
Darkthrone
Immortal

Also, if I'm overlooking bands from this "wave" or whatever, let me know...I seriously want to spend some time exploring this genre.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 2:20 pm

Pick up Enslaved's "Frost".

Immortal - "At The Heart Of Winter"

Don't know any from the others.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 2:22 pm

Try Dark Funeral, I used to laugh at them when I heard them on some compilation discs...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 2:25 pm

Spec - I like the later Enslaved stuff...when they added a lot of the Prog/Folk elements...Vertebrae is one of my favorite albums of 2008...

MetalRob - thanks...
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 2:28 pm

Horde - Hellig Usuart (Nuclear Blast) 1993
doesn't get much more raw, primal and fast.

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 2:29 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Horde - Hellig Usuart
doesn't get much more raw, primal and fast.

The only reason I'm not going to consider that is that I know it was conceived as sort of a joke...like a comical satire of Black Metal...I'm looking more for the real thing...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 2:43 pm

I am never heard Dark Throne's music and Spec covered Immortal, from :

Mayhem-De Mysteriis Dam Sathanas-which is an excellent album

the only Burzum I have heard was from comp titled 'Anthology' which is not too bad

and one band I would add is:

Dimmu Borgir-Puitanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 2:46 pm

Thanks Manny...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 2:50 pm

BTW I know you did not want any suggestions for Dimmu Borgir and the Bon Jovi's of the black metal scene, Cradle of Filth but IMO both bands are worth exploring, if only to see how the genre has grown to be a commerical viable genre.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 2:57 pm

I've heard Dimmu a fair amount...they're good, IMO. More symphonic than I am looking for at this moment, though.

The early CoF stuff I remember from a buddy of mine...it was epic and dark and at times kinda scary (haha) but then they got all "Hot Topic" and got lost in the darkened caverns of thier own asses and I hated them...haha!

I'm trying to get to the very roots of it all...

I know that some consider Venom and Mercyful Fate as the "roots" of Black Metal, kinda like how Sabbath is the "roots" of Doom without being Doom itself...but I'm mainly looking into very early 90s Norwegian/Swedish stuff...
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 2:58 pm

None of those bands ever did it for me I'm afraid. Imo the best black metal albums are:

Blasphemy - Fallen Angel of Doom...
Blasphemy - Gods of War / Blood Upon the Altar
VON - Satanic Blood Angel
Mystifier - Goetia
Sabbat - For Satan and Sacrifice (more of a black/thrash album though)
Nifelheim - Envoy of Lucifer
Master's Hammer - Ritual
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks Dave...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 3:01 pm

A Hill To Die Upon

I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... L_5a206721d77b427b9595b7ea25c01e04
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Haha, I don't think we have too many bm fans here, Shawn.

If you want the "true" bm bands, and not the "poseurs", try Ragnarok, Gorgoroth, Troll, Thule, Taake, Gaahlskagg and God Seed

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 3:24 pm

Thanks Kurt...
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 3:50 pm

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dam Sathanas
Burzum - Det Som Engang Var
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Immortal - Pure Holocaust

also check out Bethlehem, Gorgoroth, Beherit, Marduk, Blasphemy, Vreid, Gallhammer, 1349, & Rotting Christ

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 4:03 pm

Thanks MC...
Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 4:29 pm

mc666 wrote:
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger

also check out Bethlehem, Gorgoroth, Beherit, Marduk, Blasphemy, Vreid, Gallhammer, 1349, & Rotting Christ

+1

On that note:

MARDUK: PANZER DIVISION MARDUK

GORGOROTH: UNDER THE SIGN OF HELL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 5:04 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
None of those bands ever did it for me I'm afraid. Imo the best black metal albums are:

Blasphemy - Fallen Angel of Doom...
Blasphemy - Gods of War / Blood Upon the Altar
VON - Satanic Blood Angel
Mystifier - Goetia
Sabbat - For Satan and Sacrifice (more of a black/thrash album though)
Nifelheim - Envoy of Lucifer
Master's Hammer - Ritual

Like all the bands and records you named (but i dont have FOR SATAN AND SACRIFICE album by SABBAT, but have many by the band).
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Immortal - Pure Holocaust (for what you are looking for..this and 'Sons of Northern Darkness' are my favorite by them, but this one fits the timeframe you're looking into as well as the sound)

Mayhem - Live in Leipzig

and I'll add Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon..this is an important early second wave release that takes raw BM and adds to it but doesn't ever go in the direction of a symphonic Emperor, etc.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 2:47 am

I agree with MC.

Darkthrone
- Transylvanian Hunger

More that you should check out:

Marduk - Opus Nocturne
Dark Funeral - Vobiscum Sathanas
Gorgoroth - Under the Sign of Hell
Unlord - Lord of Beneath
Vondur - The Galactic Rock and Roll Empire
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 5:17 am

I love black metal, but not this barbaric crap that sounds like the teacher is being raped while the kiddies scratch their nails on the chalkboard.

I like the symphonic / power structured stuff.

I'm a fan of :

Emperor

Cradle of Filth ( I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... 19976 )

Ancient (this would probably be my fave, they feature dualing male and female vocals - but are probably too symphonic for what you are looking for)

Goatwhore (Black / death hybrid stuff)

Behemoth (more death/black stuff. I like this combo!)

Slechtvalk

Antestor

and you must of course, get the first actual black metal album of all time.

I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... 186854

they are actually demos, but you can get them all on one album now (two discs).

IMO, pre-Celtic Frost, Hellhammer was the first true black metal ever.

People give the credit falsely to Venom because of the title of their second album. Not true. Venom was more thrash. They spawned Sodom.

Sodom has been influential on the black metal community, but they are not a black metal band. Neither was Venom. Ever.

Get this album Shawn if you want to roots of BM.

Apart from this album, my tastes in BM veer toward the talented.

The other stuff is just mental illness put to record.

I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 8:19 am

Oh yes. Hellhammer is pure audial violence. I absolutely adore everything Hellhammer recorded. They were definitely one of the heaviest bands ever. Tom Warrior is giving Tony Iommi a run for his money for best guitar tone ever on the Apocalyptic Raids EP. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 9:24 am

If we're going that far back, Bathory is about as important and essential as Hellhammer. One of the first two albums shall do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...   I need sugestions from Black Metal fans... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I need sugestions from Black Metal fans...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next