Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I was WRONG about Rage for Order...

Go down 
+18
Temple of Blood
A Handful of Wayne
kmorg
Lurideath
metalinmyveins
nevermore
stepcousin
Eyesore
chewie
thejokeriv
manny
James B.
Alex Dee Rokket
ultmetal
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
exact33
mr.electric39
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 12:15 pm

That song "Gonna Get Close To You" was such a bomb. You know they thought their image plus that single was gonna take them to the top and it's funny to me how it didn't pan out.
The lyrics to that song were such a rip off of the trendy "Every Breath You Take" theme. Every songwriter probably thought they were Sting in the mid-80s.

Lots of other great songs on that album, and "Walk in the Shadows" is a 10/10.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 1:01 pm

"Gonna Get Close To You" is actually a remake of the Dalbello song. It was written around the time of EBYT, but I suppose it could have been a trendy ploy to be Sting-esque.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 1:38 pm

James B. wrote:
Shawn, here is a some visual aid to convey my point further

I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Queensrche+1983

to

I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 24620

to

I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Queensryche

Go ahead and say the third one isn't a drastic change from the other two ? sheesh

My point is that in 1986 even Maiden and Priest were wearing spandex and puffy shirts and frosting/teasing thier hair...
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 1:49 pm

James B. wrote:

to

to

Go ahead and say the third one isn't a drastic change from the other two ? sheesh

lol! Looks like the same band to me.

Really though there was obviously a drastic change anyone can see that. They went from an Iron Maiden type look to Princes' back up band. The music was great though and its just all for "The show". The obviously didn't stay like that for too long, since on Mindcrime they sort of went back to what they used to look like, but they wore stuff that went with the story line of the music. It's kind of like Alice Cooper how he works in an act with his songs.

I don't think they were necessarily trying to fit in with anything but just trying to get more exposure to the band and make people think, whoa whats going on with this band. They never fit in with Glam bands because they were party music and they certainly didn't fit in with the Thrash crowd. They were just trying to make their own statement. An odd one but none the less different from what other metal bands were doing at the time.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 1:54 pm

Quote :
I don't think they were necessarily trying to fit in with anything but just trying to get more exposure to the band and make people think, whoa whats going on with this band. They never fit in with Glam bands because they were party music and they certainly didn't fit in with the Thrash crowd. They were just trying to make their own statement. An odd one but none the less different from what other metal bands were doing at the time.

This, I agree with...

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23270

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
James B. wrote:

to

to

lol! Looks like the same band to me.

Really though there was obviously a drastic change anyone can see that. They went from an Iron Maiden type look to Princes' back up band. The music was great though and its just all for "The show". The obviously didn't stay like that for too long, since on Mindcrime they sort of went back to what they used to look like, but they wore stuff that went with the story line of the music. It's kind of like Alice Cooper how he works in an act with his songs.

at least its not the loincloth look...

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 2:52 pm

exact-ly

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 3:14 pm

James B. wrote:

to

to

It's not. It's hairspray and a little color in the leather.

This is what makes me laugh about fans. When bands change their image in any way, they've sold out; clearly having changed their image to fool people into thinking they're something they're not or to jump onto some sort of look-based bandwagon. But when the fans change their look...well, that's just natural.

The thing is, it is natural. We all change the way we look, and it's affected by the culture that surrounds. But bands can't do it. Rather, certain bands can't do it. It all depends on whether or not the music is acceptable to the fans' ears. If the music doesn't change that much (Blackie Lawless and W.A.S.P., for instance), then fans will be okay—often even justify—the change in outer appearance.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23270

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 3:20 pm

Eyesore wrote:

This is what makes me laugh about fans. When bands change their image in any way, they've sold out; clearly having changed their image to fool people into thinking they're something they're not or to jump onto some sort of look-based bandwagon. But when the fans change their look...well, that's just natural.

The thing is, it is natural. We all change the way we look, and it's affected by the culture that surrounds. But bands can't do it. Rather, certain bands can't do it. It all depends on whether or not the music is acceptable to the fans' ears. If the music doesn't change that much (Blackie Lawless and W.A.S.P., for instance), then fans will be okay—often even justify—the change in outer appearance.

thats why i dont care a whole lot about the image stuff. For me - its the music. There is an element of image but unless your really really obnoxious - its the music. Metal fans get their panties in a bunch about this look or that look, its about the music Smile

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 3:25 pm

exact33 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

thats why i dont care a whole lot about the image stuff. For me - its the music. There is an element of image but unless your really really obnoxious - its the music. Metal fans get their panties in a bunch about this look or that look, its about the music Smile
Yup. Focus on the music.

Plus, Geoff Tate has always been a bit of a fruitcake. Dude's wearing knee-high boots, pink spandex pants and leather suspenders in the "Nightrider" video. Not very metal at all. Pink pants ruined Billy Squire's career! Haha. But that illustrates precisely what I was saying. No one cared about that then or now.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 3:30 pm

Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Yup. Focus on the music.

Plus, Geoff Tate has always been a bit of a fruitcake. Dude's wearing knee-high boots, pink spandex pants and leather suspenders in the "Nightrider" video. Not very metal at all. Pink pants ruined Billy Squire's career! Haha. But that illustrates precisely what I was saying. No one cared about that then or now.

All very well stated....
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12762

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 5:02 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
James B. wrote:

to

to

My point is that in 1986 even Maiden and Priest were wearing spandex and puffy shirts and frosting/teasing thier hair...

Thanks for proving my point. If Maiden, Priest, whoever were wearing whatever as an image to market themselves doesn't that kinda/sorta make it a "Bandwagon" surprised

My only opinion that differs than yours is that they jumped on the image bandwagon to market themselves. Regardless if they looked like Maiden or Poison. IMHO The "Rage" image looks like the offspring of Flock of Seaguls and Ruby Slippers.

In the end the music is what matters,

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 5:08 pm

James B. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
James B. wrote:

to

to

Thanks for proving my point. If Maiden, Priest, whoever were wearing whatever as an image to market themselves doesn't that kinda/sorta make it a "Bandwagon" I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 685534

My only opinion that differs than yours is that they jumped on the image bandwagon to market themselves. Regardless if they looked like Maiden or Poison. IMHO The "Rage" image looks like the offspring of Flock of Seaguls and Ruby Slippers.

I proved nothing. You stated your opinion and I stated mine. It was evolution like anything else...bands in other genres besides Metal were doing the 80s thing...it wasn't anything exclusive to Metal nor was it a case of " hey guys, lets wear more eyeliner to sell more records".

Like you and others have said, it's the music that matters...and all my respect and love for RFO is based solely on the music it contains.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 5:12 pm

James B. wrote:
Thanks for proving my point. If Maiden, Priest, whoever were wearing whatever as an image to market themselves doesn't that kinda/sorta make it a "Bandwagon" surprised

Explain the pink pants then.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 5:16 pm

I don't what happened ?

All I said in my opinion, two things...

1) Queensryche jumped on the image band wagon to sell more records
(regardless of who else was doing it or not and if the label requested it)

2)The image on "Rage" was adrastic change from what they previosly had.
(going from looking like dudes to chicks is pretty drastic in my book)

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 5:24 pm

I don't know what happened either but that 'glam' image did n't even last the entire Rage with Order tour.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 6:54 pm

Good 'Ryche album for sure though not as good as the first offerings. However, my favorite will always be Empire. Though most prefer the earlier albums, they were also listening to them from the begining (I didn't become a fan til 91-92). Promise Land is a decent one but everyting else is crap (I barely listened to any of them more than once). However, I didn't totally hate American Solider but I haven't been motivated to listen to it again. And as far as their past image, the music is always what counts.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 7:11 pm

Eyesore wrote:
James B. wrote:

Explain the pink pants then.

So that the sexy foxes can see his bulge better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 1:11 am

I started this thread because of the MUSIC on RFO... However I didn't mention their look but it was a bit different fer sure....

Rockenfield's hair is hysterical....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 9:58 am

mr.electric39 wrote:

I started this thread because of the MUSIC on RFO... However I didn't mention their look but it was a bit different fer sure....

Rockenfield's hair is hysterical....

That fault is mine for the rabbit trail. Seems that going from looking like dudes to chicks is not jumping on the image bandwagon and not a drastic change in appearance. Laughing very hard

oh well, I am like you bro...didn't care much for the lp then but enjoy it now.

Laterz

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7631

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 8:14 pm

I was 18 when this came out and it was a dramatic change from the previous albums. I really liked several of the songs though and don't remember the image change but I am sure it was a big deal.

I am in the minority but I am lukewarm at best on Mindcrime (and virtually all concept albums for that matter - if I want a story I'll read a book,thanks)
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Morrison
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 40

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 11:39 pm

I'm not a big fan of concepts either, mainly because I don't have the attention span for them. If the songs don't stand on their own then I get bored pretty quickly.

As for "Rage", I think that side two is a lot stronger than side one (yes, I know it's a concept).
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 12:54 am

Rage for Order isn't a concept album, in terms of storytelling. It's more theme-based.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 12:56 am

You guys ever heard this?

Absolutely killer! The solo is kinda wack, though.
Back to top Go down
Morrison
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 40

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 1:42 am

I meant that the last three tracks comprise a mini-concept on their own. This is just what I've heard numerous times...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I was WRONG about Rage for Order...   I was WRONG about Rage for Order... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I was WRONG about Rage for Order...
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3