Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MORBID ANGEL discography discussion

Go down 
+6
SlaytanicPOWER
mc666
Lurideath
Fat Freddy
manny
Temple of Blood
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Empty
PostSubject: MORBID ANGEL discography discussion   MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:02 pm

Altars: Good disc with moments of greatness but underdeveloped and not as strikingly unique as they would later become

Blessed: Masterpiece. They really forged their own identity here. Great songs, excellent drumming, killer riffage, unique take on death metal.

Covenant: Excellent listen all the way through. Good production. Right up there with Blessed.

Domination: a few good tunes but a lot of filler

Formulas: Some really great songs and insane drumming but also kindof a mess overall. Not a focused effort.

Gateway: Don't hear any good songs here.

Heretic: Have yet to hear it.

Don't have high hopes for "I".
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: MORBID ANGEL discography discussion   MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:06 pm

Love Morbid Angel but I am surprised you are fan, I would think their lyrics would offend you,.

Love their first 4 albums I have to agree with your assement of Domination, somewhat disappointing after the excellent Covenant album
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37632

PostSubject: Re: MORBID ANGEL discography discussion   MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:07 pm

So where were you when the Morbid Angel Discography Thread was up and runnin' a while back?

http://www.heartofmetal.net/the-complete-works-f17/morbid-angel-discography-t10494.htm?highlight=morbid

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: MORBID ANGEL discography discussion   MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:10 pm

manny wrote:
Love Morbid Angel but I am surprised you are fan, I would think their lyrics would offend you,.

?

I've been listening to them since the early 90s. You must not know my tastes very well.

I listen to quite a few bands whose lyrics don't fit my own personal POV. I've never been one to only listen to Christian bands.

Quote :
Love their first 4 albums I have to agree with your assement of Domination, somewhat disappointing after the excellent Covenant album

YES. This was the album that should have pushed them to more commercial success. It was the first DM album on a major label. Most of the songs were duds, although it had a few bright spots. After this disappointing flop, Vincent moved on and left Trey's insanity to run the MA camp.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: MORBID ANGEL discography discussion   MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
So where were you when the Morbid Angel Discography Thread was up and runnin' a while back?

http://www.heartofmetal.net/the-complete-works-f17/morbid-angel-discography-t10494.htm?highlight=morbid

I rarely read or post in any forums besides this one.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

PostSubject: Re: MORBID ANGEL discography discussion   MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:17 pm

Altars: Great disc and ALL the songs kick ass!

Blessed: Ok for what it is, the production and sound of the guitars is crap!

Covenant: Good album but nothing like Altars of Madness. This was the start of their commercial stuff.

Domination: a few good tunes but a lot of filler

Formulas: 2 good songs, the rest falls flat!

Gateway: horrible!

Heretic: Even more horrible!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: MORBID ANGEL discography discussion   MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:19 pm

Lurideath wrote:

Covenant: Good album but nothing like Altars of Madness. This was the start of their commercial stuff.

Which part specifically of this album is "commercial"?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: MORBID ANGEL discography discussion   MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:44 pm

Alters Of Madness - one of the best death metal debuts ever
Blessed Are The Sick - my favorite death metal album of all time
Covenant - very intense
Domination - a broader listen, but still amazing.
Formulas Fatal To The Flesh - better vocals, strange lyrics, great music
Gateways To Annihilation - slower & more doomy sounding
Heretic - a mix of Covenant & Domination

looking forward to the new one if it ever gets here. after this long of a wait, i hope it doesn't turn out to be their "Jugulator".

SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: MORBID ANGEL discography discussion   MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 2:07 pm

Altars: Classic and thrashy
Blessed: Old School Classic, more death metalish
Cov:

" According to Nielsen Soundscan, Covenant is the best selling death metal album of all time, with sales of over 127,000 in the United States alone. "

Dom: This one is a great with Erik Rutan on guitars
Entangled: Live album, gotta love it
Formulas: Great with the new vox, tons of brutality
Gateways: Even more doomy and droning than previous albums, Pete's fastest drumwork on this album

Heretic: A mix of cov and gate.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: MORBID ANGEL discography discussion   MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 2:56 pm

Altars of Madness is one of my favorite death metal releases, and love every track on this disc. IMO one of the best metal debuts

Blessed are the Sick-Is another excellent platter and my favorite of Morbid Angel's discography

Covent- The heaviest album released on a major label and another excellent album.

Domination-I like this album a bit more then ToB but I was disappointed in the album because I felt the material was not as strong as previous releases.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: MORBID ANGEL discography discussion   MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 2:57 pm

I should add I do not own any of the post Vincent-material.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: MORBID ANGEL discography discussion   MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Altars of Madness is the only one I really care for.I had Blessed but never could get into it.I havent given the others a fair listen.But the Debut is a Great Death Metal album.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: MORBID ANGEL discography discussion   MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 8:43 pm

SlaytanicPOWER wrote:

headbanger It's a good one!!

I rarely listen to their catalog anymore with the exception of Altars and Blessed (Two of the best DM albums IMO). I'm starting to lose hope that "I" will be worth the wait.

Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: MORBID ANGEL discography discussion   MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 10:58 pm

Joe wrote:
SlaytanicPOWER wrote:

headbanger It's a good one!!

I rarely listen to their catalog anymore with the exception of Altars and Blessed (Two of the best DM albums IMO). I'm starting to lose hope that "I" will be worth the wait.

Well if its anything like this one song here, it should be decent. Ya never know tho.

Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: MORBID ANGEL discography discussion   MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 9:57 am

Love the first two albums and Abomination of Desolation, the rest doesn't sit as well with me I'm afraid. Altars of Madness might be the finest death metal album ever recorded.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: MORBID ANGEL discography discussion   MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 11:01 pm

Here's how I rank them

1. Blessed Are the Sick - I love the sludgy, slow, doomy vibe on this album. Ironically this was my least favorite MA album when I first heard it and I preferred Altars over it. There's some really awesome old school death metal groove happening on here and the way David Vincent sings each song - it's like the lyrics are drenched in venom. I love it.

2. Gateways to Annihilation - much the same principle as Blessed. I love the sludge feel of the songs. The riffs are very heavy, crushing almost and the vocals are what I consider death metal perfection. Very guttural yet very clear too - I'm not sure how Steve Tucker managed to manipulate his voice like that but each song provides a bit of a sing along.

3. Altars of Madness - although not definitive of MA's sound this album is almost like an early 'modern' black metal album. In way though, it's not black metal enough to be genuinely black nor death metal enough to be purely death. I'd say it's somewhere in between 'blackenedeath' (if such a term exists). I love the raspy tone in Vincent's vocals and the raw production. Every damn song on here kicks ass and it's definitely a classic album all the way. It sounds as fresh today as I am sure it did back when it was first released.

4. Covenant - it took me a while to appreciate the quality of this album. The production is very weird (though not as weird as Domination). However there are some great sounding songs on here, probably some of MA's most memorable songs come off this album. God of Emptiness took me by surprise the first time because I never would have imagined hearing 'clean' sounding vocals on an MA song. I thought that was an interesting contrast from Vincent's guttural tone. Speaking of which, I think this album has Vincent's best vocal delivery (alongside Altars...)

5. Domination - not my favorite though I don't hate it either. My biggest gripe: the production sounds like a "world of sh*t" to coin one of the band's songs off the album. It's like the album was recorded underwater or better yet beneath several layers of mud. The quality of the songs isn't nearly as good as on A, B, or C with fewer actual memorable tracks. However, Domination also boasts one of my favorite MA songs, "Eyes to See, Ears to Hear". Overall the material on Domination feels like left-overs from Covenant - it's as if material that was least strong on that album was unloaded on Domination.

6. Formulas Fatal to the Flesh - my biggest problem with this album is the songs don't go anywhere. I can't really find anything on here that is particularly good, nor particularly bad. It's one of those albums that had it never been recorded it would not have made any difference to Morbid Angel or to the death metal scene. In a way it's just another death metal album with Morbid Angel's logo on there. It's nowhere near as strong as the Vincent albums and nothing like Gateways of Annihilation (except maybe for some vague signs here and there). I didn't like the use of interludes - very pointless little tracks. Having said that, there are some good songs: Nothing is Not has a nice groove to it and Prayer of Hatred goes for a more brutal approach. Unfortunately, there's just nothing 'fatal' about this album.

7. Heretic - gosh I'm not gonna waste my time here... this album just SUUUUCCCKKKKSSSSSSSSSS!!! What were they thinking... this sounds like a band that's completely out of ideas. This is like the St. Anger of the death metal world. Worst death metal album ever imo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MORBID ANGEL discography discussion   MORBID ANGEL discography discussion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MORBID ANGEL discography discussion
Page 1 of 1