Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

80s Pink Floyd

Go down 
+12
stepcousin
nevermore
TheDoctor'sScarf
jksilvi
MetalGuy71
Ricky
chewie
James B.
manny
DeathCult
MetalH
fingers
16 posters
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 4:42 pm

Do any of you like 80s Pink Floyd. I am really digging the album Momentary of
reason its become a frequent listen on my ipod I especially dig the tunes dogs of war and new Movie round and round. I however don't dig the last cut IMO its PF's weakest album.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 6:43 pm

A Momentary Lapse of reason is one of my favorite Floyd albums, even if it was closer to being a David Gilmoure album. I really can't get into The Final Cut for some reason. Just not as good as Momentary IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 11:08 pm

I've just recently begun to "get" The Final Cut. I don't think it's a great album, but definately much better than I originally took it for. Theres some cool songs on Momentary Lapse Of Reason, but I have a hard time getting into it as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 11:19 pm

When "Momentary Lapse" came out, it was SO refreshing, nobody else was playing that type atmospheric rock at the time. It doesn't sound quite as good now (especially "On The Turning Away"), but man, at the time I just adored that album. My favorite track from that album was "One Slip" and "Dogs Of War".

Then the live VHS "Delicate Sound Of Thunder" came out from that tour and I played it TO DEATH! There's a great version of Money with an extended blues jam in the middle. Gilmour was absolutely at a peak with his playing during that era.

I still prefer the Gilmour-Floyd albums over Waters solo stuff. Roger is too self indulgent even for me.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 8:59 am

I loved 'The Final Cut' and it is my favorite Pink Floyd album.

I am with detuned as far as 'The Momentary Lapse of Reason' at the time it came out I loved it, now I still like it but not as much.

Roger Waters first solo album 'The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking' IMO is not a strong album as few good songs but still disappointing to me.

"Radio KAOS' I think is not half bad, but also dated due to that very 80's sound, 'Amused to Death' is a masterpiece and a great album IMO, and it also features one of my guitar heroes Jeff Beck.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12632

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 10:46 am

I had quit smoking green bud by then and Floyd just didn't do anything for me anymore.

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 11:34 am

Momentary still gets a lot of spins, I like it as much as their more classic stuff.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 12:35 pm

I can't get into The Final Cut(but I do like "Not Now John") and Momentary Lapse Of Reason is good, except for "On The Turning Away" (too cheesy 80's preachy "We Are The World"-type song sick ) - They could have left that song off and it would be a great album!

"Yet Another Movie" Is my favorite song...... In fact, that whole second side is awesome!
Back to top Go down
Ricky
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ricky

Number of posts : 255

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2010 8:48 pm

yeah I like most of Pink Floyd s music
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 11:06 am

The only 80's album I own is The Final Cut, which I'm spinning right now. I've only just started "getting" Pink Floyd in the last 4 or 5 years now, so most of their stuff (aside from classic rock radio overkill) is new-ish to me.

I like The Final Cut very much with one small gripe. Since I'm listening to it at work on my boombox, I have to constantly adjust the volume levels to hear certain songs. I understand that it's done that way on purpose to give a sense of dynamics, but going from barely audible to screaming loud plays havok on the ears.

This is probalby an album that's best heard in big, comfy headphones, sitting on a beanbag, staring at a lava lamp and wondering why we're here and if this is all there is.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ricky

Number of posts : 255

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 11:15 am

Final Cut in really the only album I don't care for..
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 11:29 am

Ricky wrote:
Final Cut in really the only album I don't care for..

I think that I like that were no "radio hits" on it. I can honestly say that I've never heard any of the songs on there before purchasing this album.

Metal novice
Metal novice
jksilvi

Number of posts : 38

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2010 5:42 pm

I like both albums, but i think the final cut is better than a Momentary Lapse of reason.

The live albums are good as well

Delicate Sound of thunder and The WALL live
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:22 pm

I really dig The Final Cut and Momentary Lapse of Reason.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 8:35 pm

jksilvi wrote:

I like both albums, but i think the final cut is better than a Momentary Lapse of reason

I agree.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 8:03 pm

Ricky wrote:
I like most of Pink Floyd s music

me too, there's not much Floyd I dont like.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 3:17 pm

I love 80's Pink Floyd! I think A Momentary Lapse of Reason is actually one of the greatest albums of that decade outside of metal. The guitar sounds so jaw dropping and inspiring yet soothing and mix that with David's vocals and man... brilliant! The other albums were good too, but A Momentary Lapse of Reason really shines for them.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 3:37 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I like The Final Cut very much with one small gripe. Since I'm listening to it at work on my boombox, I have to constantly adjust the volume levels to hear certain songs. I understand that it's done that way on purpose to give a sense of dynamics, but going from barely audible to screaming loud plays havok on the ears.

Totally agree. I think the album itself is great, but I rarely listen to it because of the problems with volume. Then again, this is one of only 3 or 4 PF albums I don't have the remastered edition of (which in this case also contains "Set the Tigers Free"). I would hope that the remaster might fix the problem.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 2:50 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Totally agree. I think the album itself is great, but I rarely listen to it because of the problems with volume. Then again, this is one of only 3 or 4 PF albums I don't have the remastered edition of (which in this case also contains "Set the Tigers Free"). I would hope that the remaster might fix the problem.

I think that is how dynamic Roger Waters wanted that album... but it can get annoying.
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 6:07 pm

Crazy as it is, Momentary was my first album that i got into by Floyd. I was right at that age where meeting girls and trying to get around the bases with them, drinking beer in the woods,and all the other fun stuff that comes about at that age. I felt like I was on top of the world during those days (sniff) but anyhow, it is a classic be it nostalgia or just the fact that it is good. Since then my Floyd love goes back to Dark Side of the Moon, I love all the albums from there up, though the Division Bell is by far my least favorite.

I love Final Cut, it is sort of the ugly step child to the masterpiece The Wall, or the B side, Epilogue, whatever you want to call it. I think it is just one of those albums that takes several spin till it clicks.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 10:41 am

A Momentary Lapse of Reason was the album that brought me into Pink Floyd. I listened to Pink Floyd a lot in the 80s and saw them 2 times live. I still like A Momentary Lapse of Reason and rebought Delicate Sound of Thunder last year in June. But I listen to it rarely. I don't know The Final Cut.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 4:31 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Nope. I have the remastered version and the volume levels are still all over the place. It was done that way on purpose, so I guess they didn't see a reason to "fix" it on the remasters.

80s Pink Floyd Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Pink Floyd   80s Pink Floyd Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

80s Pink Floyd
Page 1 of 1