Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Showing some love for Van Hagar...

Go down 
+15
Joe
stepcousin
Temple of Blood
exact33
Troublezone
thejokeriv
James B.
MetalGuy71
BillRoxx
akeldama
manny
nevermore
tohostudios
Getizzyback
Shawn Of Fire
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Showing some love for Van Hagar... Empty
PostSubject: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 6:19 pm

I love Van Hagar. I know that most Van Halen fans will choose DLR over Hagar on a regular basis, I just find that I enjoy the Hagar years more. The 4 albums of the Van Hagar era, to me, represent some of the finest American Hard Rock ever! The musicianship and the melodic hooks are, to me, top notch.

I was just on a Van Hagar binge today and wanted to post something on it.

Some of my favorite songs:

Why Can't This Be Love
Dreams
Summer Nights
Best Of Both Worlds
"5150"
Cabo Wabo
Feels So Good
Mine All Mine
When It's Love
A.F.U. (Naturally Wired)
Poundcake
Judgement Day
Runaround
The Dream Is Over
Right Now
Top Of The World
The Seventh Seal
Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do)
Aftershock
Take Me Back (Deja Vu)
Humans Being

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 7:33 pm

Yea, well, I personally prefer the Roth era, but I enjoyed the Hagar era as well, they had some great songs, I have always liked "Finish What You Started" and "Right Now".
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 7:39 pm

Man, I hate Van Hagar.

Take the worst elements of Sammy's solo career (sappy ballads) and couple it with the worst elements of Van Halen (repetitive bass/drum section plus Eddie's obligatory wanky solo) and you have Van Haqar.

I will take anything else from Sammy's career, DLR's solo stuff and especially the REAL Van Halen with DLR over the Van Hagar drivel.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 9:54 pm

I don't mind the Van Hagar stuff. There are some songs I really enjoy by that version of the band. But my preference is for the DLR-era of the band.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 10:03 pm

I like Van Halen with Sammy Hagar and did not think it was horrible but when David Lee Roth walked out the door IMO he took its sense of adventure and humor out the door with him
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 10:25 pm

I really don't like the albums (aside from a couple tracks here or there), but the 5150 tour was alot of fun. Most of those songs came off better live...and hearing them do Led Zeppelin's Rock N Roll was the highlight of the night.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 11:41 pm

Well, I too love the Van Hagar era, IMO is was the best era of VH.
Back to top Go down
BillRoxx
Metal master
Metal master
BillRoxx

Number of posts : 976

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 12:08 am

Shawn I am 150% with you!

Always a Hagar fan and rather see a reunion with Sammy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.roxxproductions.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 10:02 am

I took me a very long time to warm-up to the Van Hagar-era, but since I have, I found the music to be very enjoyable. I still prefer the DLR-era, but I don't have a problem with Sammy's version. Just depends on the mood I'm in as to which ones I play.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 10:12 am

I saw Van Halen with Sammy once in the 80's (headliner Texas Jam 86') 5150 tour and again in 2004 in Sacramento. Watched both from backstage \'arry \'eadbanger as somebody's hangabout freeloader friend.

I won't change the radio station if a Van Hagar tune comes on.
I dig alot of Sammy's solo stuff
love the Montrose stuff

but.....still have no Van Halen cds with Sammy.

Guess that over the top So. Calif insanity of the original line up is enough for me.

Laterz

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 10:39 am

Awesome!!! I am a fan of both eras of Van Halen. While I prefer Diamond Dave behind the mic, they released some damn good music during Sammy's tenure in the band.

BTW - just added my review of Balance to the Van Halen thread.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 10:48 am

Sammy has a great voice but i still think the early stuff with DLR is the best.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 11:29 am

Both eras are quality, different and David is a more showy frontman but great songs from both.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 11:37 am

I have said it before but it is hard to believe this two men fronted the same band, the two different eras of Van Halen are so different.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 12:37 pm

I much prefer the DLR but some of the Hagar stuff is good. I just dont listen very often to Hagar anymore..

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 12:47 pm

I love the Van Hagar stuff too. Sammy is one of the most amazing rock singers ever. Love his (drunken) performance on "Live Without a Net".
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 1:32 pm

Nice to see some Van Hagar love!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Getizzyback wrote:
Yea, well, I personally prefer the Roth era, but I enjoyed the Hagar era as well, they had some great songs, I have always liked "Finish What You Started" and "Right Now".

I agree. I grew up listening to Sammy & Montrose as well as Van Halen. I probably love the 70's-'82 era VH the best. As far as Sammy goes, I actually prefer his music apart from Van Halen than with them.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 10:17 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Nice to see some Van Hagar love!

I'm a Hagar fanboy, I have everything he's been a part of.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Forget 'em both! Give me Gary Cherone!!!! headbanger headbanger

j/k

I like both Hagar and Roth, but to be honest, I haven't listened to either in a really long time.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 11:25 pm

It's difficult to even compare the different eras of VH, DLR is a more flamboyant showman but Sammy can sing rings around him. I think the early years with DLR were more about attitude and putting on a big show, while the Sammy era was more about the musicianship and writing more mature songs.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 12:17 am

I have thought about this all day and come to this conclusion.....Coming of age in So. California, both as a musician and teenager in the late 70's and early 80's....Van Halen was the $hit, period ! INMHO Can't call if it is a demographic thing or being a kid with long hair in a band at the time ?

Sammy took the band smeplace else with help and the Van Halen vibe I grew up with and loved was gone. Sure there was Sabbath, Priest, Scorps, KISS, Zeppelin, Rush, Nugent, Lizzy, Aerosmith, and UFO in the 70's and all that but VH was OUR band.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 12:22 am

tohostudios wrote:
Man, I hate Van Hagar.

Take the worst elements of Sammy's solo career (sappy ballads) and couple it with the worst elements of Van Halen (repetitive bass/drum section plus Eddie's obligatory wanky solo) and you have Van Haqar.

I will take anything else from Sammy's career, DLR's solo stuff and especially the REAL Van Halen with DLR over the Van Hagar drivel.

Agree 100%

The music quality really seemed to take a back seat when Hagar was in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 am

bassman wrote:
It's difficult to even compare the different eras of VH, DLR is a more flamboyant showman but Sammy can sing rings around him. I think the early years with DLR were more about attitude and putting on a big show, while the Sammy era was more about the musicianship and writing more mature songs.

I agree with this statement.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 8:56 am

I prefer the Roth-era. I liked the rawer, heavier sound of the first four or five albums. However, I don't dislike the Sammy stuff. How's that for love?

PostSubject: Re: Showing some love for Van Hagar...   Showing some love for Van Hagar... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Showing some love for Van Hagar...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next