Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bullet For My Valentine

Go down 
+18
kmorg
DallasBlack
Troublezone
DeathCult
ThrashedOutCobra33
Lurideath
Tall Tyrion
nevermore
MetalRob331
thejokeriv
Smindas
TheGooch
Chairman_Smith
caniplaywithmadness?
mc666
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Bullet For My Valentine Empty
PostSubject: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 11:56 am

A guy I work with is burning me a copy of their latest release, telling me it's metal. I have not heard it yet, but I'm pretty skeptical. I'm willing to give it a spin, but I'm not expecting much. I lump these guys in with bands like Avenged Sevenfold and other 'metal-core'. Am I wrong here? Anyone else? Like 'em or hate 'em, sound off.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37868

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 12:27 pm

I saw'em open for Iron Maiden last fall and ehhh, they were OK I guess... not really my bag though. They seem to be tagged with the dreaded "emo" label (though I'm not even sure what constitutes "emo" to be honest with ya)... to me they sounded like an In Flames/Children of Bodom style melodic death/thrash band. The vocals were a little too WOOOOOARRRRRRGH for me
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 12:33 pm

There are some emo vocals on their early stuff, but they are supposedly getting heavier on their new album, from what I read on Blabbermouth. Maybe this was new material they were promoting, or they're heavier live.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 12:46 pm

i don't like them personally, but that's just me.

caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 12:52 pm

they're kind of emo-metal
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 1:15 pm

Required Fields wrote:
There are some emo vocals on their early stuff.

Can someone explain to an old, out-of-the-loop guy like me what "emo vocals" sound like?

I'm not trying to be funny, I swear. I honestly have no idea.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 1:17 pm

'The Poison' is not a bad album....it's Metal played by youger guys (early 20s, I believe)...it's got elements of stuff like Killswitch Engage as well as lots of guitar harmonies & cool riffs.

"Emo Vocals" I think means that combo of singing & mid-range screaming/shreiking....definitely have that.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 1:19 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

"Emo Vocals" I think means that combo of singing & mid-range screaming/shreiking....definitely have that.

Ahh, I see. I didn't hear much of that when I saw B.F.M.V. opening for Iron Maiden... it was pretty much a wall of WOOOOOAAARRRRRGH from what I remember.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 1:22 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
There are some emo vocals on their early stuff.

Can someone explain to an old, out-of-the-loop guy like me what "emo vocals" sound like?

I'm not trying to be funny, I swear. I honestly have no idea.

I thought it was kinda-screamy-whiney-I-hate-myself vocals, but don't quote me on that. While metal vocals are generally of the pissed off, take-over-the-world-let's-kick-some-ass-vibe, emo are more "Why am I so unpopular and why didn't daddy love me?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 1:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Ahh, I see. I didn't hear much of that when I saw B.F.M.V. opening for Iron Maiden... it was pretty much a wall of WOOOOOAAARRRRRGH from what I remember.

There's 3 different guys doing the WOOOOOAAARRRRRGH stuff...the singer/guitarist plus the other guitarist & bassist....they do have singing as well....my K-Octave guitarist has thier DVD...
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 3:39 pm

I hate their name
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 10:17 pm

They're not emo. That term is abused by people these days. It's simply used as an insult now, like the term "nu-metal," and generally has no musical relevance.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 6:45 am

they are like a cross between an emo and a metalcore band. i know cos i have seen them twice and are quite good live despite the fact that the music lets them down. they are very popular with emo kids who want to associate themselves with metal. something tells me thought that when metalcore goes down the pan they could pull through
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 7:13 am

Yeah, they're like emo-core or something. There's a deff a small amount of emo in there. I really dislike them because the vocals are either whiney and annoying or brutally core and... well, annoying again.

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 8:18 am

Eyesore wrote:
They're not emo. That term is abused by people these days. It's simply used as an insult now, like the term "nu-metal," and generally has no musical relevance.

Agreed. People completely misuse the term "emo" now...they're not the slightest bit "emo" at all. "Emo" was the term given to bands like Dashboard Confessional...all whiny, moping about girls and how she broke my heart...sensitive ex-hardcore guys with gelled hair & tattoos playing acoustic guitars so girls will swoon...

People think anyone with eyeliner & black hair these days is "emo"...its a meaningless term, as Eyesore said, like "nu-metal" or "alternative"...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Eyesore wrote:

This band is NOT emo. Not anywhere close. This is more like a metalcore-ish Killswitch Engage sort of band with some cool riffs and decent guitar work. I like one of their songs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 9:36 pm

Emo is not a band like Dashboard Confessional. That's frickin' pop rock. Plain and simple. Emo is Fugazi!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 10:13 pm

I saw em open for Maiden too - they were much better than I thought they would be - heavily influenced by metallica and megadeth (easy to pick out in their riffs). I would have like them much better if they didn't tune their guitars so low. I haven't heard their CD, so I don't know what they sound like in the studio. My impression was not bad. They did have a couple songs with the WOOOOARRRGGGGGHHHH stuff. I wouldn't call em emo - they sounded metal to me. The CD may sound emo, but I wouldn't know since I;ve only seen em live.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 7:25 am

Eyesore wrote:
Emo is not a band like Dashboard Confessional. That's frickin' pop rock. Plain and simple. Emo is Fugazi!

I think I pick up humor in that post? lol!

Emo is MOST DEFINITELY Dashboard Confessional (now now maybe, but when they started as an offshoot of the band Further Seems Forever adn were totally underground, they almost single handedly invented the term)...

"Emo" originally was nothing about hair-dye & eyeliner...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 8:41 am

Sheesh. After all this I still don't think I understand what "emo" is. I give up. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 9:50 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Sheesh. After all this I still don't think I understand what "emo" is. I give up. Laughing

I only know because I spent 4 years working at a college area CD store (3 colleges within 10 miles) and we sold a LOT of that and "Indie Rock" (Death Cab For Cutie, Lucero, Bright Eyes, Modest Mouse, etc)...

You ain't missing a thing! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 10:03 am

Well, I still haven't heard the cd yet, but judging from the responses, I'm not getting my hopes up.

And yes, just like you Freddy, I'm still don't understand what exactly "emo" is, although I'm pretty sure I don't want to hear it. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2007 10:38 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

And yes, just like you Freddy, I'm still don't understand what exactly "emo" is, although I'm pretty sure I don't want to hear it. Rolling Eyes

Yea, I agree, I think we would both be better off remaining blissfully ignorant. Smile
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 12:52 pm

there upcoming album will apparently be really ultra heavy and more "metal" than before. my predicition is more tenth - generation metalcore
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 3:36 pm

emo is a term used for the lyrics, Most of the lyrics are about how the singers life sucks thats y they name it emo short for Emotional... Terrible Genre lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bullet For My Valentine   Bullet For My Valentine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bullet For My Valentine
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next