Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pantera's "Will to Survive" song

Go down 
+6
Fat Freddy
Alex Dee Rokket
Smindas
Eyesore
onrypt
Troublezone
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Empty
PostSubject: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 11:32 pm

Sounds great like the Power Metal days!

Notice the (This Love) riff before it was used on Vulgar Display.

https://www.facebook.com/Pantera?v=app_108468622525037
Back to top Go down
onrypt
Metal student
Metal student
onrypt

Number of posts : 174

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 12:21 am

Huge Pantera fan here but this reminds me of their "Projects in the Jungle" days. Back when they were more hair/glam and Dimebag was Diamond, but you can still hear him shred.
Thanks for sharing!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/P207b
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 12:28 am

This song is pretty killer. Clearly an unrefined demo, but great nonetheless. Beyond that, it's not a Cowboys From Hell demo. No way. It's entirely different from anything on that one. I'd say it's a Power Metal demo, or a demo from right around that time, well before the writing for CFH.

This of course annoys me. They should reissue those first four albums.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 7:37 am

Eyesore wrote:
This song is pretty killer. Clearly an unrefined demo, but great nonetheless. Beyond that, it's not a Cowboys From Hell demo. No way. It's entirely different from anything on that one. I'd say it's a Power Metal demo, or a demo from right around that time, well before the writing for CFH.

This of course annoys me. They should reissue those first four albums.

To me it sounds like a song that links CFH to the Power Metal album, just like "Primal Concrete Sledge" was a precursor to the Vulgar Display sound.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 7:43 am

It sounds like the perfect half-way point of styles between Power Metal and Cowboys. It works well, its a great track.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 7:46 am

Smindas wrote:
It sounds like the perfect half-way point of styles between Power Metal and Cowboys. It works well, its a great track.

And the vocals are great too.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 7:54 am

I also detect a Queensryche and Dokken influence...
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 8:00 am

It would be great if they could release a b-sides disc for those of us who already have all the Pantera albums. I really like the "new" old song, and I do agree about the 'ryche influence.

I don't see myself paying 30-something dollars (or more for the whole package) just for the live disc and the demo disc. And really it's just 1 unreleased song in that whole package.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 8:07 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
It would be great if they could release a b-sides disc for those of us who already have all the Pantera albums. I really like the "new" old song, and I do agree about the 'ryche influence.

I don't see myself paying 30-something dollars (or more for the whole package) just for the live disc and the demo disc. And really it's just 1 unreleased song in that whole package.

Isn't there a package that has everything minus the shirt and collectors stuff? I'd pay no more than $20...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 8:09 am

Good Lord. Has it really been 20 years since COWBOYS FROM HELL came out? Damn, I'm old.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 8:38 am

Heard it on XM yesterday, great song.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 8:59 am

Some of the demos, if they're the demos I have, are different from the final versions.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 9:35 am

I'm actually quite tempted to pick up this re-release as I absolutely love Cowboys From Hell. It'll be interesting to see how the songs developed and if there's any more leanings towards the Power Metal sound present.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 10:47 am

Smindas wrote:
I'm actually quite tempted to pick up this re-release as I absolutely love Cowboys From Hell. It'll be interesting to see how the songs developed and if there's any more leanings towards the Power Metal sound present.
I don't think there was. The demos are largely the same, at least those I've heard. I think, if I'm remembering correctly, that "Message In Blood" is pretty different, lyrics, melodies, etc. But most stay true to the album versions. Then again, I may have different demos.

I can upload them, if you're interested?
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 11:16 am

Nah, it's alright dude. They all seem to be on Youtube anyway, just checking some of them out now. You're right, they're largely the same other than 'Message In Blood'. The original 'MIB' has an incredible slunk to the verses actually, that seemed to get a bit lost in the final.

Also, I just remembered during exams when I was revising in the dead silent Anthropology library. I was just reorganising some notes, so I was listening to Pantera on my phone with earphones, but accidentally yanked them out of the port by accident. So there I was, in this silent library where everybody was revising, and I accidentally ended up blasting up the screaming chorus of 'Medicine Man' to the unsuspecting masses. Needless to say, I got a lot of dirty looks. Awkward.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 11:48 am

Haha. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 12:13 pm

That song freakin' blows I can't even finish listening to it.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 8:19 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Smindas wrote:

And the vocals are great too.

Yeah I'm digging on the vocals as well. Shame Anselmo got away from that type of singing and morphed into what he's doing now. That song's pretty good but I don't think I'll be getting the anniversay addition just for it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 2:52 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:

Better than the new Danzig album.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 3:00 am

Troublezone wrote:

haven't heard the Pantera track out of lack of interest. i love the new Danzig though.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 3:49 am

mc666 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

haven't heard the Pantera track out of lack of interest. i love the new Danzig though.

I am really disappointed with it.

John Christ and Chuck Biscuits made that band.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 1:23 pm

Troublezone wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I am really disappointed with it.

John Christ and Chuck Biscuits made that band.

They did but they most likely will never be in Danzig again. The new Danzig album is pretty good.

PostSubject: Re: Pantera's "Will to Survive" song   Pantera's "Will to Survive" song Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pantera's "Will to Survive" song
Page 1 of 1