Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Rolling Stones finally retiring?

Go down 
+8
Addy
Schbopo
Sutekh
tohostudios
manny
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Empty
PostSubject: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 10:53 am

They say they want to retire at the top of their game but that was 40 years ago. The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_razz

Reports Suggest the Rolling Stones Will Retire After World Tour in 2012

The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Getattachment-1280142861

Reports circulating in the UK press suggest the inevitable might actually finally become reality -- the Rolling Stones may be about to retire.

UK newspaper the Sun reports that the band -- who were formed in 1962 and are soon to celebrate their 50th anniversary -- are set to hang up their weather-worn boots after a world tour, which is set to kick off in 2011.

The global jaunt would take them through to 2012 where Mick Jagger et al would finally step down from their band duties.

A source told the newspaper, "They're likely to perform in stadiums. It's almost certainly the last full-scale world tour."

The source continued, "The band realise that age is creeping up on them. They want to bow out on top of their game, and not short-change their fans."

The band, who have released 29 studio albums, are regularly made fun of due to their combined age, but they have continued to tour the world despite their years.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 11:12 am

It'd be a real shame that fans won't be able to spend $500 a seat to see Keith stand around barely strumming his guitar and Charlie looking bored to tears.

Seriously, what's the last really good album they had? Not just "a few ok songs", but a real honest-to-goodness good album? These guys have been coasting on fumes since about 1983. What else do they have to prove? They've all got more money than they could spend and had more woemn that we can all dream about. It's over.

I like these guys and I've seen them live, but they had their run. I say "Fare thee well, gentlemen. Keith, stay out of the coconut trees".

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39552

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 11:17 am

Never been a huge fan of them (I do like a few songs of theirs from thoughout their career) but I do think it's time for them to be put out to pasture.

"Stay out of the coconut trees" The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 12:59 pm

I'm sure Charlie Watts won't mind...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 1:02 pm

Age is creeping up on them? Funny line.

I think Steel Wheels was the last really good album, so when was that? 1989? Voodoo Lounge was decent, but there we are, just decent.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 3:13 pm

I actually think the Rolling Stones last album 'A Bigger Bang' was an excellent album and IMO they are one of the greatest live bands on the planet, as far as them retiring, I don't believe it, I think they will keep going unit either Jagger, Richards or Watts die on stage.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 3:24 pm

Quote :
I think Steel Wheels was the last really good album, so when was that? 1989?

That was the last studio album I purchased (on cassette) by the Stones. It's been years since I've heard it although looking at the track listing on Wikipedia, I can recall many of the songs. 'Slipping Away' is a great Keef ballad.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 3:26 pm

I think their last good album was Voodoo Lounge. I like that one a lot.

And I agree with Manny, they are absolutely great live. I saw them on the Voodoo Lounge tour back in 94. Best show I've ever seen.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 7:40 pm

TheNazgul wrote:

Maybe 'age has battered them around the head' would be more appropriate? The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 7:58 pm

Sutekh wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:

Maybe 'age has battered them around the head' would be more appropriate? The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_razz

Have you ever seen them live?

I not only saw them on the Voodoo Lounge tour but I also have more recent Stones concerts on DVD (like playing to over a million people on the beaches of Rio around 2006).

This band simply rules live!

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 7:59 pm

Something tells me they won't actually go through with it. But if they do, farewell Stones. It's been a good run.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 8:02 pm

If you re-click on that link, there's an update where a rep for the band says the rumor is bull.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 10:46 pm

tohostudios wrote:
If you re-click on that link, there's an update where a rep for the band says the rumor is bull.

That doesnt surprise me one single bit....

Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 11:42 pm

tohostudios wrote:

I'm looking forward to their "Steel Wheelchairs" tour. The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_smile

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:35 am

manny wrote:
I actually think the Rolling Stones last album 'A Bigger Bang' was an excellent album and IMO they are one of the greatest live bands on the planet, as far as them retiring, I don't believe it, I think they will keep going unit either Jagger, Richards or Watts die on stage.

i would echo manny. A bigger bang wasnt hit laden but it was really good. I dont think they can retire - and if they would I wouldnt mind more Keef solo stuff.

jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 8:53 am

Quote :
I dont think they can retire - and if they would I wouldnt mind more Keef solo stuff.

Yes!

I remember going to two straight nights on the Steel Wheels tour at RFK stadium. Amazing shows. And the reason I went both nights was because the feeling was that after that tour it could all be over. 21 years later, I say keep going. And yeah, more Keith solo records too.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 12:50 pm

jstate wrote:
Quote :
I dont think they can retire - and if they would I wouldnt mind more Keef solo stuff.

Yes!

I remember going to two straight nights on the Steel Wheels tour at RFK stadium. Amazing shows. And the reason I went both nights was because the feeling was that after that tour it could all be over. 21 years later, I say keep going. And yeah, more Keith solo records too.

I think the two Keef solo cds are really underrated. He really showd Mick Jagger who was boss in the solos Stones material Smile

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 3:31 pm

Never really been a fan, but I've been contemplating checking them out.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Never really been a fan, but I've been contemplating checking them out.

Eyesore since you are a fan of the Black Crowes I think you will dig ;em, and I would recommend 'Sticky Fingers' "exile on Main Street' ' Begger's Banquet' and 'Tattoo You' or you can grab their excellent comp 'Forty Licks'
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Ken...

Start with their sleaziest...BEGGAR'S BANQUET, LET IT BLEED, STICKY FINGERS, EXILE....and get good and into that then explore...you can't go wrong.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 3:57 pm

I would recommend:

Sticky Fingers
Goats Head Soup
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Exile on Main Street

Forty Licks is a good place to start for the hits but I think their non-hit stuff is the best.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 3:59 pm

exact33 wrote:
I would recommend:

Sticky Fingers
Goats Head Soup
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Exile on Main Street

Forty Licks is a good place to start for the hits but I think their non-hit stuff is the best.

I completely agree, personally unless it is live I am pretty much burned out on their hits.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 4:55 pm

Word.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Rolling Stones finally retiring?   The Rolling Stones finally retiring? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Rolling Stones finally retiring?
Page 1 of 1