Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Black Crowes

Go down 
+6
White_Mage
manny
tohostudios
rattpoison
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2007 2:43 pm

First off, I vote for a Heart Of Rock section on this forum! lol!

Anyway, any Black Crowes fans here? Back when Tower Records was going out of business I bought The Lost Crowes double CD (the unreleased albums Tall and Band included) for $4.99. I've always enjoyed the Crowes' radio hits, but never picked up any albums. I finally gave The Lost Crowes a spin the other day and it's been on constant rotation since! I frickin' love it!

So I'm wondering if their other stuff is worth checking out? I imagine so, if I like The Lost Crowes, but I figured I'd run it through the experts first.
Back to top Go down

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2007 2:52 pm

Well you have to get your finger out and buy their debut CD "Shake your Money Maker".

Their early material is really good, now in fairness I'll admit that I haven't heard any of the albums since "By your Side" in 1999/2000. But up to that it is great Rock.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2007 3:16 pm

I lost track of the Crowes after the second album "Southern Harmony and Musical Companion" (or whatever the heck it's called) but both that and the debut are quite good.

I saw the Crowes open for Aerosmith on the PUMP tour and they were a heckuva rockin' live band too!
Back to top Go down

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2007 4:31 pm

The Lost Crowes seems on par with their radio hits, at least in style.

Out of the albums you have, which are digipacks? I'll request them through lala, but not the digipacks.
Back to top Go down

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2007 4:57 pm

Yea they are in Digi pack format as well as Jewel case (esp the first two CDs), I have only seen the latter releases in Jewel case (but don't hold me to that).

From what I hear about Lala I assume it will be hit and miss wheither you get the Jewel versions.
Back to top Go down

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2007 7:49 pm

Locky wrote:
Yea they are in Digi pack format as well as Jewel case (esp the first two CDs), I have only seen the latter releases in Jewel case (but don't hold me to that).

From what I hear about Lala I assume it will be hit and miss wheither you get the Jewel versions.
Yeah, looks like I might have to try some one-for-one dummy trades then. Anyone ever heard Chris Robinson's solo stuff?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 10:53 pm

I have all of their releases. Been a fan since Day One. They sorta wandered off the "rock n' roll" path with Amorica and 3 Snakes... and got a little more "hippy-experimental-jam-band-vibe" but came roaring back with By Your Side. Great rock n' roll album.

The live Zepplin tribute album with Jimmy Page is really cool too, if you're into Zep covers. Chris Robinson is no Robert Plant, but he handles the vocals quite well. I saw this tour. What a trip. Page is still a riff monster.

The Lost Crowes, from what I understand is 2 albums worth of material that the band recorded, then for whatever reason, shelved it. If I remember correctly, some of the tracks, in various incarnations, were released on the Lions album.

I have not heard Chris' solo material, but I've read some reviews and they were not kind. He needs his brother to write the music. Chris' solo album was written and released when he was all lovely-dovey with Kate Hudson and we saw how well that worked out. I'd wager that the next Crowes album will be a good one, now that he's a heart-broken, bitter man. That makes for some good ol' rock n' roll there.

The Black Crowes got allot of comparisions and criticism for being too much like the Rolling Stones (especially their 1st album) and maybe that's true, but take a listen to The Faces (w/Rod Stewart & Ronnie Wood). I think they borrowed more heavily from them in that jangly, good-time, bar band rock-genre. I guess it was just that the Sones were more well known and easier to make the comparisons.

I've seen them both as an opening band and as headliners and they've always delivered.

Also, if you're picking up Amorica, look for theuncensored
cover with the pubes poking out. The song tracks are the same on both, but there are some versions with the area around the bikini blacked-out. Americans are ok with violent images & guns, but a few dark & curlies was too much.
Back to top Go down

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2007 11:29 pm

Nice! Thanks for all that info. cheers
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 9:40 am

Eyesore wrote:
Nice! Thanks for all that info. cheers

No problem. As you may have gathered, I'm a big fan. Very Happy Back in the day, I painted their Crowes mascots (sort of a drunken Heckle & Jeckle) on the lower leg of my jeans.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 9:36 pm

Thought i'd bump it considering the Faces and fraud Maxim review threads going.

I love these guys, Southern Harmony and Musical Companion is my fav with Amorica and Shake Your Moneymaker coming in a close second and third. Having said that i'm not as enamoured with their latter stuff sort of coming off Dave Matthews, Phish jam bandy. Something i don't really like but their still good albums non the less.

I have high hopes for the new album coming out though. I reckon it will be a great album. Plus i'm going to see them live in a months time so it should be great.

Heres a reminder how good these guys are:

Black Crowes - Jealous Again promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjq5Rq4sSZc
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 9:45 pm

I really loved Shake Your Moneymaker but after that, this band became really spotty for me.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 9:50 pm

Shake Your Moneymaker is a more focused straight down the line 'hard rock' album with a bit of AC/DC riffery for good measure.

But Southern Harmony And The Musical Companion is a masterpiece, i'd rank it up their with any period Rolling Stones album. More variety, one of Rock N' Rolls greatest statements not only of the 90's but forever.
Back to top Go down

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 10:48 pm

I heard the changes the band went through, and I would really say they went into that Dave Matthews (a favorite of mine) zone, but they did evolve a bit. I still think Lions is awesome, though.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 11:07 pm

I have really really high hopes for the new album.
Back to top Go down

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 1:15 am

Eyesore wrote:
I heard the changes the band went through, and I would really say they went into that Dave Matthews (a favorite of mine) zone, but they did evolve a bit. I still think Lions is awesome, though.
Here's how that should have been typed:

I hear the changes the band went through, and I would NOT really say they went into that Dave Matthews (a favorite of mine) zone, but they did evolve a bit. I still think Lions is awesome, though.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 1:17 am

Found a clip of the new song from the forthcoming album

The Black Crowes - Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGRKkxoh_Q0

I love it's laid back rootsy vibe, reminds me of alot of the new younger bands that are doing this like Dirty Sweet, Wildbirds etc. This kind of music never gets old in my eyes, i love it.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 1:20 am

Eyesore wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Here's how that should have been typed:

I hear the changes the band went through, and I would NOT really say they went into that Dave Matthews (a favorite of mine) zone, but they did evolve a bit. I still think Lions is awesome, though.

I don't mean in sound but in that boring jam band ethic of the Dave Matthews Band. It just started to stink like the Grateful Dead.
Back to top Go down

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 2:38 am

rattpoison wrote:
Found a clip of the new song from the forthcoming album

The Black Crowes - Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGRKkxoh_Q0

I love it's laid back rootsy vibe, reminds me of alot of the new younger bands that are doing this like Dirty Sweet, Wildbirds etc. This kind of music never gets old in my eyes, i love it.
You like The Wildbirds? Man, I love that band!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 3:21 am

Damn right Golden Daze was one of my fave discs from last year. I just hate the hype machine and lazy Kings Of Leon references from the critical media that are afforded them.

Check out Dirty Sweet, their debut album from last year was up their in my favs as well.
http://www.myspace.com/dirtysweetmusic
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 10:44 am

When does the new Crowes album come out? Sometime in March, right?
Back to top Go down

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 10:48 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
When does the new Crowes album come out? Sometime in March, right?

Yep, March 4th.
Back to top Go down

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 2:31 pm

rattpoison wrote:
Damn right Golden Daze was one of my fave discs from last year. I just hate the hype machine and lazy Kings Of Leon references from the critical media that are afforded them.

Check out Dirty Sweet, their debut album from last year was up their in my favs as well.
http://www.myspace.com/dirtysweetmusic
I'm heading into town right now, but I'll definitely check them out. I never like Kings of Leon, so I don't quite get those comparisons at all.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 7:15 pm

Here's AllMusicGuide's review of the new Crowes. To sum it up, they love it.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=Asmd0yp11xpcb

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 1:22 am

I downloaded it a few days ago (yeah yeah yeah i'm going to pick it up once i come across it in the shops) and i haven't stopped listening to it. F*cking A.
Return to form i say and their best since Amorica. Allmusic got it right particuarly the Little Feat reference.
Back to top Go down

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 1:22 am

I don't know about this album. I really dig it, but it's wicked mellow. "Wounded Bird" is probably the only real uptempo song, and that's only in comparison to the rest of the album. The song itself is more mid-tempo. I think the album would flow much better if they had included a few more rockin' tunes.

But it is an excellent album. Not a bad song on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Black Crowes
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next