Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?

Go down 
+4
mc666
Orion Crystal Ice
Joe
Jesusandmetal23
8 posters
AuthorMessage

So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Empty
PostSubject: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 10:45 pm

Over the past year or so I've become an Opeth FANATIC. In the beginning I just liked the mellower stuff, but now I love all of it.

However, I have 0% knowledge about all the different variations of "death metal" out there.

Any other groups mix together progressive rock style stuff with death metal? (when I say progressive, think Pink Floyd, not Dream Theater). How about a mix of clean & growl vocals? Female vocals?

I'm really digging all the eras of their stuff, from the heavier (My Arms, Your Hearse) to the mellow (Damnation).

So, hip me to some cool stuff....
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 10:47 pm

You might like In Grief.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 10:51 pm

You might also like Enslaved. Anything starting at Below the Lights and after. They are labeled as Black/Viking/Scandinavian Metal mainly because how they started, but their latest release Vertebrae especially doesn't fit that category IMO. I would start with Vertabrae and Ruun as they have stronger progressive elements.

They actually toured with Opeth this past summer.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 10:58 pm

Yeah, I forgot, Cynic, Atheist, and later Death would float your boat. ESPECIALLY Atheist. Imagine fusion jazz mixed with death metal.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 11:07 pm

I'm afraid I cannot recommend to you anything as boring as later Opeth. I will do my best with good recommendations.

First of all:

maudlin of the Well.....imagine the general idea of Opeth with the growled vocals/heavy parts, then clean vocals, soft parts, but in more progressive songs, more varied instruments (horn, piano, a few other things)...occasional, occasional female vocals...doom metal influence as well....and all in all just an extremely surreal and bittersweet vibe...this was a fantastic, fantastic band. You want 'Leaving Your Body Map' and 'Bath', I do not care what anybody else says/thinks/whatever, regarding the band, just check it out, and let it absorb. For what it's worth, the former I mentioned is one of my favorite albums of all time. There is also a loose concept between the two which involves writing/composing from the dream state, or the astral state more specifically.

Camel (but knowing you you are already very familiar, which is good)
Dan Swano (the Moontower album)
Lengsel (The Kiss, The Hope..a lot of 'light/shade' but not tacky and obvious, and some 'post rock' influence is there as well, incredible progressive album)

Last edited by Orion Crystal Ice on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 11:07 pm

OH yeah and Extol.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 11:42 pm

One more you might try is a band called Agalloch. A couple of years ago a friend suggested them to me. I have The Mantle, and to be honest, it didin't do much for me, but you might like them. They mix in gothic doom, progressive, and folk (yes, folk) music. I also heard good things about their latest release Ashes Against the Grain.

I may have to dust off their cd and give them another chance.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 12:38 am

Joe wrote:
You might also like Enslaved. Anything starting at Below the Lights and after. They are labeled as Black/Viking/Scandinavian Metal mainly because how they started, but their latest release Vertebrae especially doesn't fit that category IMO. I would start with Vertabrae and Ruun as they have stronger progressive elements.

They actually toured with Opeth this past summer.
excellent recommendation. you need to check out later Enslaved stuff.

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 12:43 am

Very cool. Thanks for the recs gang. I'll try to find some online samples to check out and will report back.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 2:21 am

Bloodbath
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 7:44 am

The motW stuff is much more of an album thing to be heard, really, but here's a couple to give you a good idea anyway:

Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 8:35 pm

In Grief - Not the same powerful clean vocals as Opeth but the music is very well done.
Back to top Go down
Pantera
Metal novice
Metal novice
Pantera

Number of posts : 52

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 12:47 am

Joe wrote:

I also will agree with Joe on the Enslaved recommendation. Also, you could check out Dark Tranquillity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 12:53 am

Watched some Enslaved videos on youtube, I'm digging it. Which album would you recommend starting with?

I'll get around to some of the other bands tomorrow. Thanks again for the input.
Back to top Go down
Pantera
Metal novice
Metal novice
Pantera

Number of posts : 52

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 1:13 am

These are the Enslaved CD's I like best:
Vertebrae, Ruun, Isa, Below the Lights, Monumension, and Frost. I like them so well, I actually have all their CD's on my want list.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 1:32 am

detuned wrote:
Watched some Enslaved videos on youtube, I'm digging it. Which album would you recommend starting with?

I'll get around to some of the other bands tomorrow. Thanks again for the input.

For what your looking for definitely start with their latest release and work back. Anything prior to Below the Lights may not be your cup of tea.

Edit: Pantera actually has them listed in the order to start. So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? 438278

Last edited by Joe on Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 1:34 am

Below the Lights is my personal favorite.

Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 1:44 am

mc666 wrote:
Below the Lights is my personal favorite.

+1

I like their recent releases as well, but I feel that Below the Lights incorporated just enough of everything that kept it heavy and dark.
Back to top Go down
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 11:54 am

Farmakon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?   So, if I love Opeth...I should check out? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So, if I love Opeth...I should check out?
Page 1 of 1