Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Immortal vs Opeth?

Go down 
+16
SlaytanicPOWER
JBall_Z
GrandNational
Gilbert
DallasBlack
Hate Forest
Joe
Rex
nevermore
metalheaded
bassman
adrian
mc666
MetalH
Alex Dee Rokket
troublemagnet
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Who do you like better Immortal or Opeth?
Immortal
Immortal vs Opeth? Vote_lcap47%Immortal vs Opeth? Vote_rcap
 47% [ 15 ]
Opeth
Immortal vs Opeth? Vote_lcap53%Immortal vs Opeth? Vote_rcap
 53% [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 32

AuthorMessage
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 6:00 pm

Both bands are higly regarded within the metal community-so do you prefer Immortal's brutal heaviness or Opeth's eclectic song writing?
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 6:13 pm

You just cornered me on this one. I'm a big fan of both bands. It's almost impossible to choose - not to mention that stylistically they are very different too (but I know that wasn't your question).

I was going to write that it all depends on mood but then that is true of every other band and style of metal out there - at least for me it is.

I think I'll go for Immortal because I like the cold atmosphere of their songs - epic frostbitten black metal operas as I see it. Opeth is great at creating some eerie atmospheric material too... ugh so difficult to choose.

Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 6:44 pm

Went with Opeth. I think they are one of the best bands out there these days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 7:52 pm

Immortal, no contest. i can't stand Opeth.

adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 8:05 pm

Never really have been able to get into Opeth. And Immortal automatically wins nearly any poll for the Call of The Wintermoon video. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 9:59 pm

I like Opeth better out of the two, the eclectic songwriting is a big plus for me because when I hear an Opeth song for the first time, I am always surprised by some twist or turn that I did not anticipate whereas with Immortal there are no surprises, just brutal heaviness, which is not a bad thing at all. It just never throws anything at me that I wasn't expecting.
Back to top Go down

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 11:10 pm

MetalH wrote:
Went with Opeth. I think they are one of the best bands out there these days.

My thoughts exactly.

Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 3:13 pm

Immortal, hands down.

Haven't heard much Opeth, but what I have heard was boring, to me.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 3:50 pm

I went with Opeth. I like the way they can go from something extremely heavy and then do something great acoustic-wise.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 4:18 pm

Opeth easily.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 5:20 pm

I don't doubt that Opeth is good at what they do. However, I just can't get into them. My vote goes to Immortal.
Back to top Go down
Hate Forest
Metal novice
Metal novice
Hate Forest

Number of posts : 36

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 10:12 pm

I like both but gotta go with Immortal on this one. I like them a little more than Opeth.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 10:58 pm

Don't think I can vote on this. I don't listen to Immortal due to the satanic imagery of their early material (I understand the later material was different so maybe I should give them a try) so I never really listened to them though I have heard and enjoyed copy cat Christian bands so I'm sure I would like their music. I do listen to Opeth though I enjoy their earlier more death metal oriented material more than their recent ouptut (still some death but too much mellow parts). Because of this I won't vote but count me as an Opeth fan.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 12:35 am

I could never enjoy opeth, depsite several attempts.

I'm not familiar with IMMORTAL that much. Can't stand black metal.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 3:58 am

Opeth. Morningrise got me through many dark and gloomy winters.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 6:12 pm

Gilbert wrote:

I could never enjoy opeth, depsite several attempts.

I'm not familiar with IMMORTAL that much. Can't stand black metal.

Ahhh...but Immortal is so much more than black metal. They are progressive and memorable.

The only Opeth cd I own is Ghost Reveries. I never really got into it. It's been a long time since I've listened to it. Maybe I'll give it a spin to see if I like it more now.

Immortal on the other hand is incredible. I'm not even a fan of black metal, but like I said...they are so much more. Check out their new DVD, Live At Wacken 2007, they are actually fun to watch in concert, great show.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 7:10 pm

Ghost Reveries has the same problem the last one did, though not as bad. Opeth always has had mellow parts among the death but on the past 2 albums have gotten longer which wears thin quickly. I enjoy the earlier albums because the death was only sparingly interupted by mellow parts.

Either way, I have gotten my first Immortal album, Sons Of The Northern Darkness. I'll try it out and see where it goes from here.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 7:36 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Ghost Reveries has the same problem the last one did, though not as bad. Opeth always has had mellow parts among the death but on the past 2 albums have gotten longer which wears thin quickly. I enjoy the earlier albums because the death was only sparingly interupted by mellow parts.

Either way, I have gotten my first Immortal album, Sons Of The Northern Darkness. I'll try it out and see where it goes from here.
same reason i don't care for Opeth.

i think you'll dig that Immortal album.

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 8:40 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

I'm exactly the opposite, I like the most recent Opeth albums the best, the progressive and melodic elements was what got me interested in them in the first place.

I enjoy their early albums too, but they matured so much as players and songwriters that I don't think the earliest albums are comparable at this point.

My favorites are:

1. Watershed
2. Ghost Reveries
3. Deliverence
4. Damnation
5. Still Life
6. My Arms, Your Hearse
7. Blackwater Park
8. Orchid
9. Morningrise
Back to top Go down
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 9:17 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Then you should love Immortal.Most of their lyrics deal with ice, snow, and winter
Immortal vs Opeth? 239
Back to top Go down

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 pm

Where is the option for "they are both are silly non-artists"?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 11:38 pm

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
Where is the option for "they are both are silly non-artists"?
that's in the King's X thread.

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 11:45 pm

ohhhh, what a spaz-oid. You do know that your soul is going to burn in hell for eternity just simply because of your facial hair, right MC?
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 11:48 pm

troublemagnet wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
Then you should love Immortal.Most of their lyrics deal with ice, snow, and winter

That description sounds more like the band Immortal Souls than Immortal Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 5:11 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

An excellent place to start, the third album of Immortal's hellish hat trick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Immortal vs Opeth? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Immortal vs Opeth?   Immortal vs Opeth? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Immortal vs Opeth?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next