Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's your favorite Speed Metal album?

Go down 
+19
Stender
Approval Guy
Olafsto
Smindas
ryanmetalman
Joe
stormspell
ZetaReticuli
Gilbert
Fat Freddy
kmorg
Thrasher73
ultmetal
Orion Crystal Ice
Leatherface
Dave the Boss
Temple of Blood
SideShowDisaSter
Troublezone
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 10:37 pm

looking through the albums listed here, I've come to the realization that I've never really understood the difference between "Thrash" and "Speed Metal".

We used to just use those terms interchangeably in the 80's. Is it really just straight ahead metal played fast?

Like Riot's Thundersteel for example? *edit* - sorry, see Stormspell posted that already.

What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 61o4UsYe9nL._SL500_AA300_

What about a band like "Wrathchild America", what category would that fit into?
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 11:14 pm

To put it best I would say that firstly, speed metal by and large tends to have the same pacing within a song, as opposed to thrash where the speed maaaay be faster but the pacing is also more jerky, and many stop-starts are typically engaged. Also, the vocals tend to be slightly cleaner in speed metal, and the music a bit more major-key oriented (not so much 'diabolus in musica'). If we were to have some kind of scale of progression, how one genre's aspects can kind of flow into another and something else is made, these related things would go something like: thrash-SPEED METAL-power metal. In other words, we're basically discussing that happy little medium between the two. Now when things get a little more mystical, a little more melodic, and typically a little more progressive as well (speed metal is highly orthodox in approach despite lacking much of the punk influence that thrash takes), that's about the border where we begin speaking of old-school power metal, or US power metal, etc.
Back to top Go down
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

Number of posts : 274

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 2:14 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
To put it best I would say that firstly, speed metal by and large tends to have the same pacing within a song, as opposed to thrash where the speed maaaay be faster but the pacing is also more jerky, and many stop-starts are typically engaged. Also, the vocals tend to be slightly cleaner in speed metal, and the music a bit more major-key oriented (not so much 'diabolus in musica'). If we were to have some kind of scale of progression, how one genre's aspects can kind of flow into another and something else is made, these related things would go something like: thrash-SPEED METAL-power metal. In other words, we're basically discussing that happy little medium between the two. Now when things get a little more mystical, a little more melodic, and typically a little more progressive as well (speed metal is highly orthodox in approach despite lacking much of the punk influence that thrash takes), that's about the border where we begin speaking of old-school power metal, or US power metal, etc.

Hm. Okay. Well, I have to admit, I'm rather ignorant, so I don't know what I am talking about. But I'm with detuned, I never really understood the difference. Are we sure we aren't just arguing semantics?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 3:41 am

Thrash is rough around the edges where as Speed Metal tends to be more polished in comparison. What both do share are the speed aspect.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 4:11 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

I think you nailed it here!

Quote :
Hm. Okay. Well, I have to admit, I'm rather ignorant, so I don't know what I am talking about. But I'm with detuned, I never really understood the difference. Are we sure we aren't just arguing semantics?

Sure, speed metal, thrash metal and power metal were somewhat intertangeble phrases, but also specific, seperate genres. If you listen to the bands here, like Agent Steel & Powermad, surely you can detect a pattern that seperates them from thrash metal. And power metal bands, like Metal Church and Vicious Rumors have a different style than Metallica and Slayer.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 11:07 am

Speed metal is more melodic and thrash is more dissonant.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 11:20 am

I think this topic has made it clear that speed metal is generally defined by appalling low budget album covers ;P

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Lots of my favorites already mentioned, let me add:

What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 PKR048a
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Approval Guy
Metal novice
Metal novice
Approval Guy

Number of posts : 74

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 6:07 pm

How has this one been forgotten!?
What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 517TDYFM99L._SS400_
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 6:41 pm

kmorg wrote:
Dave the Boss wrote:

What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 AgentSteel1

Agreed!

mine also. What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 11840
Back to top Go down
Storm_Rider89
Metal novice
Metal novice
Storm_Rider89

Number of posts : 51

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 7:23 pm

Ive only just discovered this band, but Angel Dust, To Dust You Will Decay is becoming a favorite. What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 604261
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 12:47 pm

I don't have the trained ear that the musicians here have. So, in my mind, I have always seperated the speed from the thrash simply by the vocals. Clean vox = speed, raw or rough vox = thrash. Of course, with everything in life, there will be exceptions. But, that is as technical as my ears go.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 2:00 pm

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
I don't have the trained ear that the musicians here have. So, in my mind, I have always seperated the speed from the thrash simply by the vocals. Clean vox = speed, raw or rough vox = thrash. Of course, with everything in life, there will be exceptions. But, that is as technical as my ears go.

thats what my understanding is also.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 5:35 pm

UNCLE SAXON wrote:

I would not go with that notion. Quite simply because some speed metal classics like Vectom or Iron Angel or Backwater have rough, raw type vocals. And those are speed metal classics true and true. Or the first Znowhite record - also no clean vocals on that one.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 6:16 pm

so then..

what's the difference between 'zno' white and 'snow' white?

What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Confused
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 7:12 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
so then..

what's the difference between 'zno' white and 'snow' white?

What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Confused

First one is a badass speed(first album+EP)/thrash(second album) band, the second one would be a princess that likes dwarves What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 7:57 pm

Now this album I assume would not be a speed metal album:

What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Album-restless-and-wild

But would the song "Fast As A Shark" be considered one?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 1:01 am

yes
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 1:49 am

Zdan wrote:
UNCLE SAXON wrote:

I would not go with that notion. Quite simply because some speed metal classics like Vectom or Iron Angel or Backwater have rough, raw type vocals. And those are speed metal classics true and true. Or the first Znowhite record - also no clean vocals on that one.

I guess the guitar tone is a little different also.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 12:22 pm

Zdan wrote:
UNCLE SAXON wrote:

Like I said, there are obvious exceptions. I just have tried to keep things simple. Simple = unified and metal should be unified not picked apart into a billion different sub-genres just so some band can seem a little more unique.
Back to top Go down
Planchaaaa
Metal novice
Metal novice
Planchaaaa

Number of posts : 56

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 1:28 pm

Great thread, this. I'm a newbie to speed metal and have picked up a plethora of new stuff to discover thanks to this thread.

Thank Christ for online used CD sellers.

That Powermad 'absolute power' album is insane. I'd never even heard of them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 10:27 pm

Planchaaaa wrote:
Great thread, this. I'm a newbie to speed metal and have picked up a plethora of new stuff to discover thanks to this thread.

Thank Christ for online used CD sellers.

That Powermad 'absolute power' album is insane. I'd never even heard of them.

They were from my town and used to play out 3-5 nights a week [and opened for, seemingly, every band that came to town.] The bassist was my roommate for a couple of months while he was dating my sister-in-law. The vocalist played a hot pink Flying V that we used to taunt him relentlessly over! haha. They played a reunion show a couple of Halloweens ago and revealed 2 new tunes for an album they were recording. Still waiting......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Speed Metal album?   What's your favorite Speed Metal album? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's your favorite Speed Metal album?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: