Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Strange ways to discover a band

Go down 
+17
allthingsmetal
jstate
Gilbert
scottmitchell74
Louder
ultmetal
James B.
Chairman_Smith
HamburgerBoy
Stender
Jesusandmetal23
powermacho
manny
Fat Freddy
metalheaded
GrandNational
kmorg
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

Strange ways to discover a band - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange ways to discover a band   Strange ways to discover a band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 2:00 pm

I re-discovered the Ramones after hearing Powermad's version of "gimme gimme shock treament".

I discovered Riot, Fifth Angel, and Sanctuary after blindly buying a comp cassette from BMG (remember when you would get 12 cds for a penny?). Each band had two songs on it. There was a fourth band (forgetable) called the Slammin' Watusies (sp?). No idea why they were on there.
I think it was called Mega-Hurtz(?).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strange ways to discover a band   Strange ways to discover a band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 2:12 pm

I've discovered a couple of Alt Rock bands on TV shows...I first heard the band Jets Overhead on the show "House" and now have 2 of their albums...then I first heard a songwriter named Jack Savoretti on "Grey's Anatomy" and now have 2 of his albums...
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: Strange ways to discover a band   Strange ways to discover a band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 10:04 pm

Louder wrote:
manny wrote:
I discovered heavy metal due to an anti rock rally at my church First Baptist Church of Largo when I was 11 or 12. The Rev Billy Mayo would bringing his traveling circus to town, drum up a little publicity and play records backwards, to uncover something called 'backward masking'.

In the mist of these silly b.s. he played AC/DC's Highway to Hell, it was the most beautiful sound I had ever heard sitting in those pews, the next day with a list of the worst offenders (Satan worshippers and what have you) courtesy of one Rev Billy Mayo I went to the local Kmart and began my obsession with all things rock.

I got into Metal in a similar way. My parents were very anti-Rock music and had us watch a TV show called The Eagle's Nest on TBN or something. Pastor Gary Greenwald played clips of videos and talked about backward masking and such. The whole time I was thinking "I know I'm not supposed to like this stuff ... but wow.... this is great!"
yeah I remember my mom pitting those tapes and religious people putting the music backwards, that rock music I ended up liking. Like Chicago,ac/dc, judas priest, ozzy, and maiden
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Strange ways to discover a band   Strange ways to discover a band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 8:22 am

I discovered UFO back in college. My roommate and I used to frequent this dive bar in town and we saw a band called Nightrider there many times. They always closed out their show with a song called "Shoot, Shoot". We both thought it was an original. Anyway, we eventually got to know the band because we saw them so many times. We started helping them load up their equipment after shows. One night we told them how much we liked their "Shoot, Shoot" song. The guitarist looked at us and said, "I wish we could take credit for that one. That's by UFO."

Bought the Strangers In The Night album the next day.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Strange ways to discover a band   Strange ways to discover a band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 12:08 pm

Discovered The Darkness through entertainment weekly of all places! They had a big article on them, so I checked out some songs on their website and picked up the first album.
Back to top Go down
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

Number of posts : 274

PostSubject: Re: Strange ways to discover a band   Strange ways to discover a band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 1:29 am

I discovered Rock N Roll (which lead eventually to Heavy Metal) because of a Carman CD where he did the song "Our Turn Now" with Petra. He did all the vocals of course, John Schlitt got to sing two whole words. But that one song changed my whole outlook on music.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Strange ways to discover a band   Strange ways to discover a band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 8:59 pm

I discovered Sepultura when I saw Kurt Bachman of Believer wearing one of their shirts.

I discovered Forbidden by hearing Temple of Blood's version of "Forbidden Evil".
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Strange ways to discover a band   Strange ways to discover a band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 4:57 am

allthingsmetal wrote:
I discovered Riot, Fifth Angel, and Sanctuary after blindly buying a comp cassette from BMG (remember when you would get 12 cds for a penny?). Each band had two songs on it. There was a fourth band (forgetable) called the Slammin' Watusies (sp?). No idea why they were on there.
I think it was called Mega-Hurtz(?).

I have this comp on CD Very Happy

Metal novice
Metal novice
Storm_Rider89

Number of posts : 51

PostSubject: Re: Strange ways to discover a band   Strange ways to discover a band - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 8:46 pm

When i was about 10 i was really into dirt bikes, and i had this dirt bike video kinda like crusty demons called steel roots, and the first song they had on the video was Symphony of Destruction. I loved it right away, and i had to find out who this cool sounding band was, so thats how i discovered Megadeth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange ways to discover a band   Strange ways to discover a band - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strange ways to discover a band
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2