Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kansas Or Styx?

Go down 
+20
Gilbert
MetalH
JBall_Z
Getizzyback
Dave the Boss
HeavyMetalMerchant
stepcousin
Neuropete
Metallic Blaze
Metal Misfit
Addy
James B.
SAHB Healer
exact33
Schbopo
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalRob331
tohostudios
thejokeriv
chewie
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Kansas Or Styx?
Kansas
Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Vote_lcap55%Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 55% [ 18 ]
Styx
Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Vote_lcap45%Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 45% [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 33

AuthorMessage
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:48 pm

I remember seeing a BTM on Styx and Ugh is all I can say
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:54 pm

yeah I can draw a map of my butt, put a sanctioned stamp on it... again, doesn't mean it's there. Well, it does in my case, the inconsistency is a map can't capture all the sexy curves and steely feel.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 10:48 pm

James B. wrote:

I guess all the maps I looked at in school were a facade. Damn public schools of the 70's, ya know when they actually were good at teaching kids to read and write.

huh

whutt
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 11:42 pm

Kansas I used to like a great deal when I was a kid. Styx I would happily remove completely from my memory if I could.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 1:15 am

I like both bands, but I like Styx more than Kansas.

Ratings:

Kansas 7/10

Styx 8/10

I actually like the really early Styx material. Wooden Nickel stuff. It's fantastic prog rock!!!

But I like all of Styx material.

Kansas on the other hand have a few songs I really like, but I've never really gotten into any of their albums save for a greatest hits, which seemed a bit hit or miss to me.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 8:10 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
I like both bands, but I like Styx more than Kansas.

Ratings:

Kansas 7/10

Styx 8/10

I actually like the really early Styx material. Wooden Nickel stuff. It's fantastic prog rock!!!

But I like all of Styx material.

Kansas on the other hand have a few songs I really like, but I've never really gotten into any of their albums save for a greatest hits, which seemed a bit hit or miss to me.

That's how I am with Kansas.

They have some songs I really, really like but only a handful of albums that I can play from beginning to end without hitting the skip button. I think my favorite Kansas album is Audiovisions. "Relentless" is easily my favorite Kansas song.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 11:03 am

I like both bands, but if I am honest about who I listen to more, Styx. I will slap Kansas greatest hits every onw and then, but Styx just has more material I like. Yes, I know some consider them cheesey, but I like their songs. What can I say. Call me cheesehead then! :-)
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 12:33 pm

Well if I were to rate these bands based on all their material. here is where I stand..

Kansas:
S/t - 8/10
Song for America 8/10
Masque 8.5/10
Leftoverture 9.5/10
Point of Know Return 8.5/10
Monolith 7.5/10
Audio-Visions 9/10
Vinyl Confessions 6.5/10
Drastic Measures 7/10
Power 7/10
In the Spirit of Things 9/10
Freaks of Nature 8/10
Always Never the Same 7/10
Somewhere to Elsewhere 8.5/10

STYX:
S/t 7/10
II 6/10
The Serpent Is Rising 5/10
Man of Miracles 8/10
Equinox 7/10
Crystal Ball 6/10
The Grand Illusion 8/10
Pieces of Eight 6.5/10
Pieces of Eight 7.5/10
Brave New World 8.5/10

Im missing some Styx albums in there, and thanks to my friend TJ for sending me what he has. I was very surprised at some Styx songs, as some of their arrangements were pretty excellent. Brave New World sounded the best to me and seemed like a fresh start for the band. As far as Styx early material, im not very impressed other then Man of Miracles...

Kansas is one of my favorite bands and they have so many excellent songs throughout every release. The progressive tunes that they put out blow my mind and are some of the best in the genre IMO.. Kansas's last 3 releases are very good and bordering on great IMO..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 1:13 pm

Kansas
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 4:23 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:

STYX:
S/t 7/10
II 6/10
Man of Miracles 8/10
Equinox 7/10
Crystal Ball 6/10
The Grand Illusion 8/10
Pieces of Eight 6.5/10
Pieces of Eight 7.5/10
Brave New World 8.5/10

Wow I could not disagree more.

S/t 7/10
II 7/10
The Serpent Is Rising 9/10
Man of Miracles 3/10
Equinox 10/10
Crystal Ball 8/10
The Grand Illusion 9/10
Pieces of Eight 9/10
Cornerstone 7/10
Paradise Theater 8/10
Kilroy Was Here 6/10
Edge Of The Century 5/10
Brave New World 8.5/10
Cyclorama 7/10
Brave New World 7/10
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:43 pm

Schbopo wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

STYX:
S/t 7/10
II 6/10
Man of Miracles 8/10
Equinox 7/10
Crystal Ball 6/10
The Grand Illusion 8/10
Pieces of Eight 6.5/10
Pieces of Eight 7.5/10
Brave New World 8.5/10

Wow I could not disagree more.

S/t 7/10
II 7/10
The Serpent Is Rising 9/10
Man of Miracles 3/10
Equinox 10/10
Crystal Ball 8/10
The Grand Illusion 9/10
Pieces of Eight 9/10
Cornerstone 7/10
Paradise Theater 8/10
Kilroy Was Here 6/10
Edge Of The Century 5/10
Brave New World 8.5/10
Cyclorama 7/10
Brave New World 7/10

I'm with Sloppo. My individual album ratings might vary a tad but overall I think his rankings of the Styx catalog accurately reflect my opinion of their career arc.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:58 pm

Tough one there. Very different bands who started a bit similar but went very different paths.
Early to mid 70's: Kansas. Much better musicianship and direction. They seemed to have a better sense of who they were than Styx.
Mid to late 70's: slight edge to Styx(Leftoverture slightly over Grand Illusion but Pieces Of Eight beats out Point Of Know Return and Cornerstone beats Monolith)
Early 80's: Kansas. I love those 2 albums they did with John Elefante. Styx put out a great album with Paradise Theater but Kilroy Was Here is lame.

Even without Kerry Livgren Kansas continues to put out quality albums and Somewhere To Elsewhere was a great comeback/reuinion album. Styx really hasnt put out anything great in decades IMO.

Overall I think Kansas had more integrity in their music as far as entire catalog but Styx had more hits and rockers. I used to listen to Kansas more than Styx but the last few years I probably listen to Styx more.

so edge: Kansas.
Why? because they never put out songs like Mr. Roboto and Styx wrote way too many sappy love songs.
Back to top Go down
HeavyMetalMerchant
Metal novice
Metal novice
HeavyMetalMerchant

Number of posts : 23

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 8:15 am

All said both those bands have exceptional singers and vocal harmonies.
Back to top Go down
http://www.heavymetalmerchant.com
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 8:20 am

I voted for Kansas though not a fan I do like the song Carry On Wayward Son
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 10:40 am

Journey... but Kansas out of those two. Razz
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 6:34 pm

I pyck Styx, I just think song to song, album to album, Styx just has more to offer. I think Kansas is a great group, don't get me wrong, but I just think Styx has better overall songs.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 11:17 pm

Early Kansas was great. Leftoverture and Point Of Know Return are two of my all-time favorite albums, especially POKR. However, imo, Kansas had peaked about the same time Styx was just coming into their own with Equinox, Crystal Ball and Tommy Shaw. This was also about the time I really started getting into music, so Styx had a much bigger impact on me. Equinox thru Paradise Theater was an awesome string of albums. KISS, Aerosmith, and Styx were my favorite bands in the late seventies.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 12:46 am

Voted for Kansas. Top 10 favorite bands. I love all of their work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
HeavyMetalMerchant
Metal novice
Metal novice
HeavyMetalMerchant

Number of posts : 23

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 12:51 am

Kansas yeah there newer releases are pretty good too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.heavymetalmerchant.com
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 8:11 am

I simply adore dust in the wind
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 10:40 am

That's the one Kansas song I never want to hear ever again........completely burnt out on it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 11:07 am

All I know from either band is the stuff that gets played on the radio, so I guess I don't really have much of a preference. They're both OK by me.

Quote :
I simply adore dust in the wind

Quote :
That's the one Kansas song I never want to hear ever again........completely burnt out on it.

When I was in college, my fraternity performed "Dust In The Wind" at our campus' annual "Songfest" competition one year, followed by a cover of Eric Clapton's "Cocaine."

Our theme was "Just Say No," which, if you knew me or any of my frat brothers at that time, would've been hilariously ironic Very Happy Apparently the judges didn't think it was as funny as we did; we came in 3rd. Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 19976

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 11:18 am

Kansas by a million miles...

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Definitely Kansas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 1:40 pm

Styx has a couple good songs scattered here and there, but honestly they are pretty much the nadir of that style music. Kansas is miles better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kansas Or Styx?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next