Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kansas Or Styx?

Go down 
+20
Gilbert
MetalH
JBall_Z
Getizzyback
Dave the Boss
HeavyMetalMerchant
stepcousin
Neuropete
Metallic Blaze
Metal Misfit
Addy
James B.
SAHB Healer
exact33
Schbopo
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalRob331
tohostudios
thejokeriv
chewie
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Kansas Or Styx?
Kansas
Kansas Or Styx? Vote_lcap55%Kansas Or Styx? Vote_rcap
 55% [ 18 ]
Styx
Kansas Or Styx? Vote_lcap45%Kansas Or Styx? Vote_rcap
 45% [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 33

AuthorMessage
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 3:54 pm

I do like both bands but I have to give the edge to Kansas as they had a lot more of a Gentle Giant-type of complexity to their music. When they rocked they ROCKED!!!
Both Had GREAT lead singers.
Styx had the cool background vocal thing going on. I didn't like their early rock'n'roll songs. They didn't fine tune that until Equinox.

Vote And Discuss........

And if you don't care, don't post. Kansas Or Styx? Icon_razz
Back to top Go down

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Styx by a fraction. When they are on they are one of the best at good rock compositions though they do have a lot of cheese.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 4:14 pm

Geeze - tough one, both are great bands (and I may go see the tour this summer!), but have to go with Styx by a you know what hair.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 4:15 pm

I like both but I like Styx a lot more.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 4:42 pm

KANSAS is one of my favorite bands of all time. Styx IMO doesnt even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence if you ask me. I never could figure out why everyone fussed about how good they are.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 5:00 pm

man, Styx, an embodiment of American rock 'n roll, and effortless proof that it can (and should) retain a brain.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 5:05 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Styx is one of my favorite bands of all time. Kansas IMO doesnt even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence if you ask me. I never could figure out why everyone fussed about how good they are.

Fixed for my liking.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 6:24 pm

Kansas. I like their material better.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 6:51 pm

Schbopo wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Styx is one of my favorite bands of all time. Kansas IMO doesnt even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence if you ask me. I never could figure out why everyone fussed about how good they are.

Fixed for my liking.

Sometimes you're alright Schlopbop.

Kansas Or Styx? 11840

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 7:04 pm

I voted for Styx, but I like Kansas too. I took Kansas a little more seriously as a band, and when they rocked hard they approached metal at times (Masque album esp.). But Styx rocked hard too. Dennis DeYoung's showmanship sometimes was over the top- but then again that's why I voted for them- they were fun!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 8:03 pm

Kansas is the easy choice for me. Livgren songs sung by Walsh=great

I don't own any Styx albums, I tolerated them in the 70's cause girls really dug 'em and that meant some privledges at certain times.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 8:33 pm

None of the Above and Definitly not Styx!
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:03 pm

I think the younger posters (less than 40) are basing their opinions of Styx on crap like "Babe" and "Mr. Roboto".

If you haven't done so already, dig back to the Equinox, Crystal Ball, Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight albums and tell me what Kansas quartet of album matches up to that.

For my money, that quadrilogy of albums is unmatched....

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:07 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I think the younger posters (less than 40) are basing their opinions of Styx on crap like "Babe" and "Mr. Roboto".

If you haven't done so already, dig back to the Equinox, Crystal Ball, Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight albums and tell me what Kansas quartet of album matches up to that.

I even like the crap. "Mr. Roboto" is probably the single catchiest song ever written, and if it just had a little more emphasis on the guitar and a little less on the disco, it would be a masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:09 pm

Good sir. 'Mr. Roboto' is not crap. Cheese, certainly. But I'll not have you frightfully assailing so mighty a ballad of Kilroy that this piece is.

I'M NOT A HERO! I'M NOT A SAVIOUR! FORGET WHAT YOU KNOW..

I shall suggest any Styx detractor listen only to 'Suite Madame Blue', one of the best things ever written.

HMMM.

Kansas, it's not just a river in Egypt.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:11 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Four in a row by Kansas that blows your Styx choices out-of-the-water (IMHO)

Song For America, Masque, Leftoverture, and Point Of Know Return

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:12 pm

I've never really "gotten" Styx. I think they're the complete embodiment of lame, cheesy '70s rock.

Kansas is decent though (though they also come close to the lame, cheesy '70s rock category). I haven't listend to them in years but I own Leftoverture and Point of Know Return and like'em both.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:15 pm

James B. wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

I like all those Kansas albums but not as much as I like the Styx quadrilliion. Were those Kansas albums released consecutively? I think they were but I'm not as familiar with the Kansas catalog as I am with Styx.

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:16 pm

Kansas is a horrible state.
Styx is an awesome river.

Case closed.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:19 pm

tohostudios wrote:
James B. wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

I like all those Kansas albums but not as much as I like the Styx quadrilliion. Were those Kansas albums released consecutively? I think they were but I'm not as familiar with the Kansas catalog as I am with Styx.

yeah they were released consecutive...1975 to 1977

it's kewl you like Styx more than Kansas. I willl cop to Styx having an amazing drummer. One of those unsung hero type dudes, fer sures!

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:21 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Kansas is a horrible state.
Styx is an awesome river.

Case closed.

One is real and the other is a myth, at least "kansas" was borrowed by another state in it's name.....Arkansas

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:24 pm

Show me proof Kansas exists.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:26 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Show me proof Kansas exists.

It is a state that is as flat as my stomach used to be

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Yeah I've heard that before but that doesn't prove it's there. I bet you voted for Obama. 'Oh I do so have a birth certificate, you're just going to have to believe the guys over in Hawaii.' Try again.......
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 9:37 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Yeah I've heard that before but that doesn't prove it's there. I bet you voted for Obama. 'Oh I do so have a birth certificate, you're just going to have to believe the guys over in Hawaii.' Try again.......

No vote for him from me.

I guess all the maps I looked at in school were a facade. Damn public schools of the 70's, ya know when they actually were good at teaching kids to read and write.

Kansas Or Styx? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kansas Or Styx?   Kansas Or Styx? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kansas Or Styx?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next