Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Symphony X

Go down 
+11
MetalRob331
DallasBlack
QuothTheRaven
MetalH
Lionheart™
ZetaReticuli
tohostudios
chewie
Orion Crystal Ice
GrandNational
Metallic Blaze
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 6:03 pm

I did a search and found no 'active' Symphony X threads. They are all RIP.

Anyway ... who likes this band? I love em - and need to get all their stuff. I've only got "Paradise Lost" so far. Where else should I start?
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 6:09 pm

Ya, I have all their albums, just have to be in the mood because it's a bit hard to digest in one sitting.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 6:12 pm

Don't like them a huge amount, but there are some songs off 'Paradise Lost' that I do like a lot, 'Set the World On Fire (The Lie of Lies)' and the title track, most specifically. A lot of their stuff, like off 'V' for example is awkward to me, where the chorus just will not fit the verses at all, and then the riffing doesn't match anything. Not a terrible band, just nowhere near a favorite..
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 6:14 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Ya, I have all their albums, just have to be in the mood because it's a bit hard to digest in one sitting.

I hear that. I was cranking "Paradise Lost" last night ...and it really sounded good. But I did notice a bit of 'noodling', which I don't mind as much. Dream Theater does this too, and they are a top fave of mine.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 7:18 pm

I have V and The Odyssey but I do not listen to them much.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 7:52 pm

chewie wrote:
I have V and The Odyssey but I do not listen to them much.

That was my situation too. I had those two plus Paradise Lost and never listened to any of them. I ended up selling them all off to various people on this board.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 10:58 pm

By the way, does anyone notice any thrash in their last album, "Paradise Lost"? Quite a bit really.

Great album.
Back to top Go down
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 11:24 pm

Russell Symphony X 253444
Back to top Go down
Lionheart™
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 61

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 11:29 pm

"V" is their pinnacle for me. It's the one album that wows me from them. "Twilight In Olympus" is also very good. They've gone in a more aggressive and heaver approach with their last two albums, and while I like some of it from each, they don't captivate me like V does.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 8:33 pm

I'll check out "V" Lion! Thanks!

Symphony X 604261
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 9:15 pm

To my ears The Odyssey is the be all end all SX album. 100% prog masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 5:00 am

MetalH wrote:
To my ears The Odyssey is the be all end all SX album. 100% prog masterpiece.

Sounds like I got two to buy!!!

Symphony X 604261
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 1:13 pm

I have "Divine Wings of Tragedy" and "The Odyssey." I enjoy them both very much, though I haven't listened to them for a while. Michael Romeo would be in my top 10 guitarist list and Russell Allen is also one of my top favorite vocalists. Some of the synthesized orchestra stuff is a bit cheesy, particularly in the Odyssey, but I also think this would be an interesting band to pair up with a live orchestra.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Love me some Symphony X (I'd rank them as one of my top 20 favorites) especially the last two albums. Russell Allen is one of my top vocalists especially after seeing them live. Paradise Lost is probably the best thing they've ever done IMO followed very closely by The Odyssey. The album V is the only one I don't seem to listen to much but it's still good. The only albums I'm missing are the s/t and Damnation Game but the ones I have I rank as such (from favorite to least favorite):

Paradise Lost
The Odyssey
Divine Wings Of Tragedy
Twilight In Olympus
V
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 4:42 pm

I have Paradise Lost and The Odyssey and while I like both I don't pull them out often. They tend to lose me at times. Best thing Russell has sang on are the Lande/Allen albums both of which I like better then anything else they've done.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 5:39 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
I have Paradise Lost and The Odyssey and while I like both I don't pull them out often. They tend to lose me at times. Best thing Russell has sang on are the Lande/Allen albums both of which I like better then anything else they've done.

I agree with this 100%

Too much miss not enough hits... Love Romeo and on some songs this band is perfect but they're way too many sleepy tunes that dont do anything for me. Allen is top notch as well but like said Naz I prefer them both with Allen/Lande
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 9:16 pm

Allen/Lande has been on my radar for a while now.

I know Lionheart really likes them as well.

I'll have to pick something up.
Back to top Go down
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 9:35 pm

Russell is amazing, he's one of my biggest influences. Anybody get the impression that Michael Romeo spends a ton of time in his basement jamming away ...and probably still lives with his parents?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2019 7:04 pm

An old thread, I’m late to the party!

I just recently discovered them from Liquid Metal on satellite radio. I’ve known their name for quite some time, but I never gave them a listen. This song and album is amazing! It’s like Dehumanizer Sabbath 2.0 meets Dream Theater and Megadeth.

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2019 7:46 pm

Troublezone wrote:

I just recently discovered them from Liquid Metal on satellite radio. I’ve known their name for quite some time, but I never gave them a listen. This song and album is amazing! It’s like Dehumanizer Sabbath 2.0 meets Dream Theater and Megadeth.

Big Symphony X fan here! Russel Allen is a beast on the mic (especially on The Odyssey and beyond when he further developed his rough vocal style), Michael Romeo is a fantastic guitarist, and Michael Pinnella is one of my favorite keyboardists.

They're about due for a new album I think.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 6:32 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Big Symphony X fan here! Russel Allen is a beast on the mic (especially on The Odyssey and beyond when he further developed his rough vocal style), Michael Romeo is a fantastic guitarist, and Michael Pinnella is one of my favorite keyboardists.

They're about due for a new album I think.

I definitely want to explore more of their albums. I’ll check out The Odyssey one you mentioned. I’m sure Russell Allen is working on a new Symphony X album now since his other band (Adrenaline Mob) is most likely on permanent hiatus.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 6:41 pm

A hit and miss band for me which I think I said a long time ago in this thread. Allen's best is with Lande/Allen.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 6:53 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
A hit and miss band for me which I think I said a long time ago in this thread. Allen's best is with Lande/Allen.

At this point, all I know is that I like their Iconoclast album for sure.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 10:56 pm

The early years of Symphony X was more neo-classical (like Yngwie, though nowhere near as pretentious) and became bit more progressive later. During this time, Russel sung in a mostly clean, melodic voice adding some rough vocals here and there (BTW, he was not in the debut album-the only SX album I don't have. It wasn't until Odyssey where the rough voice became more prominent though the clean still vocals still held the day. They finally became what they are now with the magnum opus Paradise Lost which remains my favorite of theirs. While I do like Iconoclast, I felt it was a step down from Paradise Lost. I like the mix of Russel's rough voice and clean voice and the rough one dominated through most of that album (so there is a chance you may not like the others as much as Iconoclast) and the songs just weren't as memorable to me. While not as good as Paradise Lost, the last album Underworld was a big hit for me as it went back to an even mix of rough and clean and had more memorable songs.

Hope that info helps.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 11:36 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
The early years of Symphony X was more neo-classical (like Yngwie, though nowhere near as pretentious) and became bit more progressive later. During this time, Russel sung in a mostly clean, melodic voice adding some rough vocals here and there (BTW, he was not in the debut album-the only SX album I don't have. It wasn't until Odyssey where the rough voice became more prominent though the clean still vocals still held the day. They finally became what they are now with the magnum opus Paradise Lost which remains my favorite of theirs. While I do like Iconoclast, I felt it was a step down from Paradise Lost. I like the mix of Russel's rough voice and clean voice and the rough one dominated through most of that album (so there is a chance you may not like the others as much as Iconoclast) and the songs just weren't as memorable to me. While not as good as Paradise Lost, the last album Underworld was a big hit for me as it went back to an even mix of rough and clean and had more memorable songs.

Hope that info helps.

Thanks for the advice. From what you said, I know I will prefer the albums with edgier vocals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Symphony X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Symphony X   Symphony X Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Symphony X
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: