Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel

Go down 
+7
Lurideath
Eyesore
jstate
Thrasher73
SAHB Healer
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Empty
PostSubject: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Who else will I love? Thanks in advance!
If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel 11840
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 10:23 pm

Slough Feg. They were originally known as The Weird Lord Slough Feg. Stupid name but good music. I've been ever so slowly gathering up their discography, but it's been well worth it.

http://www.myspace.com/sloughfeg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_Weird_Slough_Feg

I'm not usually a folk metal kind of guy, but these guys do it so well, I don't mind the sword & sorcery stuff. Big, thick, bottom heavy music. Their latest release Ape Uprising! has a 'Planet of the Apes' theme. How could I resist?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 2:40 am

Even I have a Slough Feg disc, which is saying something because as you know If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_lol I don't care for folk metal either. It's not bad.

As for the "doom/pop" type stuff, maybe these? Although they are more like the Age of Winters than Gods of The Earth.

Chrome Locust- s/t
Priestess- Hello Master
Witch- s/t
Stonegard- Arrows

P.s.- this should be a good thread, almost guaranteed to cost me some money.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 7:09 am

Quote :
Priestess- Hello Master

Awesome! These are now a want.

Quote :
P.s.- this should be a good thread, almost guaranteed to cost me some money.

Yeah, I'm binging hard. I've already bought more music the last few weeks that I did all of 2009. I need to finish my current list and then back way off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 8:46 am

Since "The Sword" has a definite old school streak running through their stuff, I tend to separate them from the majority of the stoner/doom category (same with High On Fire).

A few suggestions worth checking out:

If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel F53628xbvry
Spiritual Beggars - On Fire: Excellent hard rock/metal band with some "shades of Deep Purple" mixed in with their sound.

If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel I82300k65ma
Orange Goblin is a sentimental favorite of mine, this disc is more straight-forward metal than their older albums, putting it in just the right category for this thread.

If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel L94345x93nv
Wino - Punctuated Equilibrium. Wino plays tribute to his past with a variety of cuts ranging from biker rock, to doom, to instrumental fusion type jams and straight ahead metal tracks.

more later...I gotta go to work...
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 8:59 am

Apostle of Solitude-Sincerest Misery
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 9:45 am

Cathedral - Ethereal Mirror, Carnival Bizarre, and Supernatural Birth Machine

And though most seem to dislike it, I recommend Saint Vitus C.O.D.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 9:55 am

I'd back Detuned recommendations. 3 good picks.

And SAHB's choices of Priestess & Witch also get the thums up from me. Priestess has a new one out as well, Prior to the Fire.

I had that Stonegard album, but it didn't do anything for me and I sold it on ebay. I never heard of Chrome Locust, but if it's in the same vein as the rest, I'll have to take a listen.

EDIT: You can get the Chrome Locust disc used on Amazon for .24 cents. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel 685534
http://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Locust/dp/B00000J6AW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1271944973&sr=8-1

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 11:07 am

Quote :
Spiritual Beggars - On Fire

First 30 seconds...wow! Listening to Tall Tales on youtube.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 11:14 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
Spiritual Beggars - On Fire

First 30 seconds...wow! Listening to Tall Tales on youtube.

If you like Spiritual Beggars, try these guys too..

Terra Firma
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Firma_(band)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.channel&vanity=terrafirmasweden

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 11:18 am

Yeah, this thread is gonna send me back into my "no more cds" hole when its done with me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 11:22 am

I hear ya. I've been on quite the stoner/retro kick lately myself and it's costing me big time.

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 11:33 am

I happened upon another band that just answered my own question:

Grand Magus - Iron Will
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 11:36 am

Quote :
If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surely love...

If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Love_my_nuts
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am

Gonna suggests the future. If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_wink Keep up, son!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 11:46 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I happened upon another band that just answered my own question:

Grand Magus - Iron Will

Heard good things about them, but haven't made any purchases. Yet. Heard good things about Specs nuts too, but have yet to make a purchase there either.

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 11:53 am

I'll second that Orange Goblin, good stuff there. You might even check Wolfmother, different but has that throwback sound.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 11:57 am

Not a lot of these bands sound like The Sword. Haha.

http://www.myspace.com/valkyrie

A bit more doomy, but they have a strong 70s vibe. And that singer sounds a lot like the dude in The Sword. Great band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 12:06 pm

He didn't ask who they sound like, he asked who he'd like if he likes The Sword. Sheesh, try and keep up.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 12:12 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
He didn't ask who they sound like, he asked who he'd like if he likes The Sword. Sheesh, try and keep up.

Yea, I didn't think that many of the bands I've suggested sound like the Sword exactly. I'm going for the retro/stoner vibe of things. Style-wise, not sound alikes, if that makes sense.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 3:57 pm

I'll back up the Slough Feg and the Cathedral recommendations. Good call on those!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 4:57 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Which implies they should at least be similar in sound or style.

If not, then I suggest Barry Manilow.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 6:39 pm

I listened to Gods of The Earth again last night, and the vocal style reminds me of Fireball Ministry- although Fireball isn't so doomy.

also:

ASG- Win Us Over
Mammoth Volume- The Early Years
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 9:47 pm

If you end up liking the whole "retro" sound, then I'd also suggest all these bands:

Witchcraft
Graveyard
Siena Root
Dead Man

also...EVERYONE should own some Goatsnake! Flower of Disease is a must-own.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 10:01 am

Quote :
ASG- Win Us Over

Good call on that one SAHB.

And I second the nominations for Witchcraft and Graveyard by the estemmed Sir Detuned, esq. Heard good things about Sienna Root. Dead Man was a little too "hippy-dippy" for my tastes. By the way, De, has Graveyard put out anything else? I was spinning the debut last night. Love that album.

PostSubject: Re: If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel   If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If I love: The Sword - Gods of the Earth...then I will surel
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next