Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what one album from 2009?

Go down 
+18
Tur-Thalion
mez
iamrockerfun
akeldama
vanillaviking
SAHB Healer
jstate
Ben Grimm
Lionheartâ„¢
Schbopo
Gilbert
scottmitchell74
MetalGuy71
Dave the Boss
7thSaviour
exact33
kmorg
Metallic Blaze
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

what one album from 2009? Empty
PostSubject: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 5:15 am

What one album from 2009 has really surprised you? You didn't like it much at first, but now you just discover it months later.

I hope everyone takes out their albums from 2009 and gives them all fresh spins. Sometimes you can find that you've really overlooked something. Maybe even under-estimated it.

What one album from 2009 do you really love now, but didn't much care for it at the time you got it?

Anything?

For me, it's easily gotta be Hammerfall's "No Sacrifice, No Victory".

I'm not sure what happened.

I heard it once - and it just didn't really click with me.

So I just shelved it.

Anyway - the other day I pulled it out of the CD chambers and gave it a fresh spin. WHOAH! Here I thought this was Hammerfall's worst album - and was totally disappointed in it. I'm not sure why. Weird how this happens.

I'd actually say this new Hammerfall is their 3rd best (right after "Crimson Thunder" and "Renegade").

How about you?
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 6:34 am

Saint Hell blade was a similar experience for me. All the hype about it made me have too hih expectations, so initial spins were a let down for me. But it didn't take me several months to start appreciating it. Now I love the disc.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 7:44 am

I'll have to pick up that new Saint.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:19 am

Hardcore Superstar - Beg for it. I had heard the myspace songs when it first came out and didnt think much of it but after getting it I really like this cd.

7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:22 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
What one album from 2009 has really surprised you? You didn't like it much at first, but now you just discover it months later.

I hope everyone takes out their albums from 2009 and gives them all fresh spins. Sometimes you can find that you've really overlooked something. Maybe even under-estimated it.

What one album from 2009 do you really love now, but didn't much care for it at the time you got it?

Anything?

So I just shelved it.

Anyway - the other day I pulled it out of the CD chambers and gave it a fresh spin. WHOAH! Here I thought this was Hammerfall's worst album - and was totally disappointed in it. I'm not sure why. Weird how this happens.

I'd actually say this new Hammerfall is their 3rd best (right after "Crimson Thunder" and "Renegade").

How about you?
Agreed! NSNV is a good album to me now, but at first I loathed it! Now I can say I dig it! 8.5/10
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:22 am

exact33 wrote:
Hardcore Superstar - Beg for it. I had heard the myspace songs when it first came out and didnt think much of it but after getting it I really like this cd.
BFI 9/10
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 11:41 am

kmorg wrote:
Saint Hell blade was a similar experience for me. All the hype about it made me have too hih expectations, so initial spins were a let down for me. But it didn't take me several months to start appreciating it. Now I love the disc.

The Saint disc hasn't aged well imo. I used to spin it all the time when I got it, but now it kinda bores me.

Hard to say really, although the new Candlemass has grown on me. I still don't like it as much as King of the Grey Islands though.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 11:49 am

I'm still waiting for Megadeth's Endgame to kick in. what one album from 2009? 594227

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 11:53 am

Quote :

That's mine. Had the same exact experience.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 4:10 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm still waiting for Megadeth's Endgame to kick in. what one album from 2009? 594227

This album didn't give me what i was expecting. And i've been listening to it on a regular basis.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 4:13 pm

And there's also Saxon's into the labyrinth. I couldn't digest this album as fast as i did with saxon's previous releases. Now, ILB is one of my all time favorites.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 4:39 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

It only surprised me because I was expecting it to be good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 5:20 pm

I don't buy albums unless I know i'll like them.

Quote :
It only surprised me because I was expecting it to be good.

I know what you mean, it's greatness surprised me too.
Back to top Go down
Lionheartâ„¢
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 61

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 6:39 pm

Without a doubt it would have to be Katatonia "Night Is The New Day". First two spins, I was just about calling it a disappointment of the year, but by the 3rd time through it was all coming together to the point that it was one of the best for the year. It was a bit of a departure for them in that they went for more of an Opeth/Porcupine Tree sound than any previous release from them. I now consider it their best ever.

Devin Townsend's "Addiction" also made a good 360 with me. I still think the first 3 songs are ga-hey, but after that, it's just some good, catchy poppy metal.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 6:47 pm

I hated Brian HEAD Welch - Save Me From Myself....however I gave it a spin the other day and was suprised, I liked it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 6:49 pm

Dagon - Terraphobic

Thought it was alright first listen but not something I would return to. Gave it another listen, and while it didn't blow me away, I liked it much better with subsequent spins. Enough so that I decided to keep it.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 6:53 pm

Praying Mantis- Sanctuary

I thought it was bland at first, because none of the songs jumped out at me. After awhile though I realized this was because the songs are all good. A highly accomplished melodic rock album from start to finish.
Back to top Go down
Lionheartâ„¢
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 61

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 6:59 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:

I thought it was bland at first, because none of the songs jumped out at me. After awhile though I realized this was because the songs are all good. A highly accomplished melodic rock album from start to finish.

That's one fine album right there. Made my top 20 from last year.
Back to top Go down
vanillaviking
Metal student
Metal student
vanillaviking

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:29 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

that one came easily, but i said the same about United Abominations. not bad, just couldn't get it to sink in for quite awhile.

mine was ironbound leaking at thxgiving. took 4 listens before i thought it had some promise.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:50 pm

Endgame
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 9:05 pm

7thSaviour wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Anything?

So I just shelved it.

How about you?
Agreed! NSNV is a good album to me now, but at first I loathed it! Now I can say I dig it! 8.5/10

Cool! Same experience dude!!

what one album from 2009? 495333
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 9:10 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:

Les Claypool-Of Fungi And Foe

At first I thought it was boring as all hell. It sounded like jazz made for fat people. I won't say what changed my opinion, but then I realized that it was better to be listened to as background music to stuff. Horror movies, orgies, sewing circles, poetry slams, anything. It fits every mood possible if you've got an imagination.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 9:31 pm

Quote :

Holy cow! I'd never heard Praying Mantis before. Been checking this one out. It's very, very good!
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 9:32 pm

Praying Mantis is good stuff! I need to track down their albums soon!
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 7:35 pm

Praying Mantis are awesome. Their first LP is one of my alltime faves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what one album from 2009?   what one album from 2009? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what one album from 2009?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next