Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys?

Go down 
+4
manny
krokus
Gilbert
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys? Empty
PostSubject: Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys?   Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 11:15 pm

Sound Barrier - "Rock Without the Roll"

Do any of the older metal heads amongst us remember these guys? Apparently they were one of the earlier LA Bands that played on the Sunset strip. They had a small but loyal following but for whatever reason their first album never really took off, despite the thick and crunchy rockers like the one linked above.

I love their sound. Kind of a mixture of thick NWoBHM and Prince-style funk. I also love the whole Metalic Hendrix look they were sporting.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys?   Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 2:30 am

I love these guys. I used to own a cassette, i can't seem to find it though.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys?   Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 4:07 am

I have their two albums and one ep on vinyls and always liked them very much. Like STONE VENGEANCE or BLACK DEATH, they were all black.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys?   Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 9:03 am

I thought they where a very cool band. Thanks for the memories.
Back to top Go down
brontotex
brontotex

Number of posts : 446

PostSubject: Re: Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys?   Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 9:39 am

Great band! I had all their stuff back in the day. I have a cd that has their album " Total Control" with their "Born To Rock" EP as bonus tracks.
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

PostSubject: Re: Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys?   Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 2:02 pm

I new them very well...Great band. If you can find the band Total Eclipse the singer and drummer we're on it with Vic Johnson (Sammy Hagar) Abit of news when Tracy left the band I auditioned for them,they went with Alex Masi...Oh Well
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys?   Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone here.

Now, here's a real conundrum for you....do you think its harder for black heavy metal muscians to make it than white musicians? I mean, obviously you got bands like Living Colour who were pretty big hits (but then again, no one would have called them 'funk metal' or compared them to Fishbone if it weren't for the color of their skin).

Maybe its just because that the metal scene is fairly homogenous racially that an black musicians in metal are seen as a kind of novelty, rather than for their talent.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys?   Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 2:16 pm

Angelcake Adonisus Fox wrote:

Now, here's a real conundrum for you....do you think its harder for black heavy metal muscians to make it than white musicians? I mean, obviously you got bands like Living Colour who were pretty big hits (but then again, no one would have called them 'funk metal' or compared them to Fishbone if it weren't for the color of their skin).

Maybe its just because that the metal scene is fairly homogenous racially that an black musicians in metal are seen as a kind of novelty, rather than for their talent.

I think at maybe one time they may have been true, but I honestly do not think it makes a difference now adays, you mentioned Living Colour who I suppose broke barriers, but IMo people would not have cared if they where green if their music had sucked then it would have not been success.

Today both old and new metal fans could careless, if they like the music then that is all that matters, plus two of most popular musicians in hard rock/metal history where black.
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

PostSubject: Re: Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys?   Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 2:42 pm

Angelcake Adonisus Fox wrote:

In 1983 yes...I remember talking with them. The main reason MCA droped them is they did'nt know how to market them... Remember they we're out way before Living Colour...The Bus Boys kind'a had the same problem... In Hirax we have not really had a problem...Just once in a while we run into some lame people...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
Lionheartâ„¢
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 61

PostSubject: Re: Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys?   Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 4:53 pm

I remember them well. NOt sure I can really listen to them nowadays as they sound so dated, but they sure were innovators with simply just the color of their skin and style of music at the time.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys?   Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 5:13 pm

brontotex wrote:
Great band! I had all their stuff back in the day. I have a cd that has their album " Total Control" with their "Born To Rock" EP as bonus tracks.

I have a copy of Total Control on cd and Speed Of Light on vinyl. I need to get these out and give 'em a spin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys?   Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sound Barrier: Anyone remember these guys?
Page 1 of 1