Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?

Go down 
+15
TheGreatDuck
Gilbert
MetalFRO
Ben Grimm
kmorg
Schbopo
Thrasher73
manny
Metalgiant
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
nevermore
Fat Freddy
snooloui
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
19 posters
AuthorMessage
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Empty
PostSubject: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 9:18 pm

They were a Soviet glam metal band who were big during the Perestroika era.

Although the song itself is.......so-so.......I have to admit I love this video for the kitsch factor alone. The lockstep marching/fist-pumping, the CCCP flag, the balalaika-shaped guitar.......they took every American stereotype about the Soviet people and exploited it. They even used the Sickle and Hammer in their band logo!
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 9:25 pm

All I know is that they played at the Moscow Music Peace Festival in 1989. Never heard any of their stuff though.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 10:25 pm

I remember that I was supposed to go to their big-whoop American debut gig at L'amour in Brooklyn with a few friends back in '89 or '90 but I came down with a raging stomach flu the night before the show so I couldn't go... Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 10:55 pm

I remember them but haven't heard them in a long time.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 11:55 pm

I remember they had a song on the Stairway to Heaven/Highway To Hell benefit album. Had it on cassette. I think they covered a Scorpions song. Don't know much abut them otherwise.

EDIT: It wasn't the Scorps. They covered 'My Generation' by The Who on that album. Didn't do anything for me.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 2:04 am

I remember this song. They were like a russian version of the Scorps.
Back to top Go down
Metalgiant
Metal novice
Metal novice
Metalgiant

Number of posts : 78

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 4:21 am

I have the english versions of their first two albums. I would compare their music more to BON JOVI and EUROPE when it comes to the heavyness.
BTW they at least two more albums but I think these were Russian only releases.

Their homepage is:
http://www.gorkyparkmusic.ru/
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 9:06 am

I have the cassette of their American release that had that cheesey song 'Bang' or say 'Bang La da da' or whatever the hell it is called. I have not listened to it in years.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 9:06 am

I remember this song being on Headbangers Ball quite a bit back in the day
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 9:17 am

I knew I'd find a use for this sooner or later;
Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Communism_Is_A_Party
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 9:47 am

I have their most successful CD. I kinda like it.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 8:49 pm

They were good to me wayyyy back but I gave the album a spina couple years ago and it was like Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? 355277 .
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 12:21 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I remember this song. They were like a russian version of the Scorps.

Eh, Scorps lite maybe. I worked at McDonald's in high school, and there was this lady working there who was like 10 years older than me, who had this on CD. I borrowed it & enjoyed it somewhat, and remember "Bang" being the big single off the album. I don't own it myself, but still occasionally get the chorus for "Bang" stuck in my head for no reason Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Lol I always thought the chorus had some of the cheesiest lyrics known to mankind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 3:48 am

I just purchased their self titled debut album.

Great catch i guess. Very good band.

Never knew russians could play heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 5:24 pm

^ You can't know that from GP. Aria, on the other hand...

Anyway, just revisited them recently, I'd say they're kinda like Savage Amusement/Crazy World era Scorps, mixed with some Pyro/Hys era Lepps (Moscow Calling sounds quite a bit like DL). A good enough catchy commercial hard rock band.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 10:11 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
^ You can't know that from GP. Aria, on the other hand...

Anyway, just revisited them recently, I'd say they're kinda like Savage Amusement/Crazy World era Scorps, mixed with some Pyro/Hys era Lepps (Moscow Calling sounds quite a bit like DL). A good enough catchy commercial hard rock band.
I still prefer Aria and Black Coffee.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 11:21 pm

I dug this CD out and will give it a fresh spin tomorrow.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 1:07 am

Here's the title track from their sophomore album-Moscow Calling

Back to top Go down
ishfar
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2013 4:19 am

they are actually pretty good. listen to Try to Find me. Pretty good guitar work
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?   Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gorky Park: Anybody remember these guys?
Page 1 of 1