Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alex Chilton died

Go down 
+6
rattpoison
GrandNational
spiritoradio
tohostudios
manny
10 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Alex Chilton died Empty
PostSubject: Alex Chilton died   Alex Chilton died Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 9:48 am

Alex Chilton from power pop band Big Star died, while I know alot of folks on this board may not have been a fan or even aware of Big Star they wrote some great songs but never received any commerical success. Also Alex Chilton wrote the song 'The Letter' which was a hit with his first band the Box Tops and Joe Cocker covered a few years later.

The Replacements of course paid their own tribute to the man by writing the song 'Alex Chilton'. Thanks for the music and rest in peace, here is the official statement:

Alex Chilton, who made his name with Box Tops and Big Star, has died at the age of 59 from a suspected heart attack.
The singer first had success in the 1960s with soul rockers Box Tops. Their biggest hit was The Letter, which was a number one single in America in 1967, when Chilton was just 16. When the band split up in 1970, Chilton turned down the chance to join Blood, Sweat & Tears because they were too commercial. Instead he became a member of cult power pop band Big Star, who’ve become a significant influence on many bands, including R.E.M.
In recent years, Chilton (who lived in New Orleans) has been touring and recording, although he never achieved the levels of success his talent deserved.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Alex Chilton died Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Chilton died   Alex Chilton died Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 10:54 am

Quote :
The Replacements of course paid their own tribute to the man by writing the song 'Alex Chilton'.

This is the only reason I know who he is. RIP.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

Alex Chilton died Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Chilton died   Alex Chilton died Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 11:27 am

The name sounds very familiar but everything he was associated with does not. Don't know how I recognize the name. R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Alex Chilton died Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Chilton died   Alex Chilton died Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 11:38 am

I forget to mention the theme song to ' The 70's Show' titled 'Down the Street' covered by Cheap Trick is a Alex Chilton song.
Back to top Go down

Alex Chilton died Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Chilton died   Alex Chilton died Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 11:52 am

That's how I knew about him. RIP.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Alex Chilton died Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Chilton died   Alex Chilton died Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 2:49 pm

I just discovered Big Star last year. One of the best bands that you've never heard of. RIP Alex Chilton died 163436

One of their best:

Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Alex Chilton died Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Chilton died   Alex Chilton died Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:02 am

Also the guys post Big Star career is crazily underrated. He produced the Cramps classic debut ep and albums. He formed Tav Falco's Panther Burns, an amazing band that deconstructed age old american roots musics and deserve to spoken of in the same breath as the Cramps and the Gun Club! His first solo record Like Flies On Sherbet (1978) is shambling drug addled "Exile" like mess, that's a compliment by the way. Not to mention the album he made with Alan Vega (Suicide), producing the Replacements, his many solo and soul inflicted EP's, inspiring all my favourite bands and artists from the Chamber Strings to Rowland S Howard, Cheap Trick to Epic Soundtracks etc etc etc. The guy is a full blown legend, why is it always the great ones that go away?
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Alex Chilton died Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Chilton died   Alex Chilton died Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:45 am

Thanks for the clips. I'm going to listen to both my Big Star albums tonight.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Alex Chilton died Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Chilton died   Alex Chilton died Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 5:52 am

Excellent clips Rattpoison and you are right his solo career was completely overlooked and underrated. The third Big Star album is such a dark album expressing his hurt and disappointment at how the industry treated him, but like you said RP depression never sounded so good.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Alex Chilton died Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Chilton died   Alex Chilton died Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:14 am

Like others have mentioned, I only knew of him through that Replacements song. I'm familair with the Box Tops and their hits, but I had no idea Alex was a part of that. A talented man for sure.

Quote :
why is it always the great ones that go away?

Not true. Fred Durst is alive & well.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

Alex Chilton died Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Chilton died   Alex Chilton died Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 11:57 am

manny wrote:
Alex Chilton from power pop band Big Star died, while I know alot of folks on this board may not have been a fan or even aware of Big Star they wrote some great songs but never received any commerical success. Also Alex Chilton wrote the song 'The Letter' which was a hit with his first band the Box Tops and Joe Cocker covered a few years later.

The Replacements of course paid their own tribute to the man by writing the song 'Alex Chilton'. Thanks for the music and rest in peace, here is the official statement:

Alex Chilton, who made his name with Box Tops and Big Star, has died at the age of 59 from a suspected heart attack.
The singer first had success in the 1960s with soul rockers Box Tops. Their biggest hit was The Letter, which was a number one single in America in 1967, when Chilton was just 16. When the band split up in 1970, Chilton turned down the chance to join Blood, Sweat & Tears because they were too commercial. Instead he became a member of cult power pop band Big Star, who’ve become a significant influence on many bands, including R.E.M.
In recent years, Chilton (who lived in New Orleans) has been touring and recording, although he never achieved the levels of success his talent deserved.

That's a shame... I love Big Star. I discovered them in the early 90's, after seeing that most of my favorite bands listed them as an influence. Pretty much all their albums were great, and their songs pure power pop. As Manny noted, they were not very popular... in fact, the only song most people have probably heard from them is the theme song to "That 70's Show", and even that is a cover by Cheaptrick. RIP
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Alex Chilton died Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Chilton died   Alex Chilton died Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 8:12 pm

I first heard Big Star when I borrowed it from a friend and had to know the inspiration for the Replacements song (one of my favorites). Needless to say because it wasn't the Replacements "Alex Chilton"-type stuff I wasn't that taken with it. I was young and not ready for the greatness I would find nearly ten years later when I found the first two Big Star records on CD in a used bin. I actually bought them for trade purposes. Listening to them on that ride home I was blown away. Ballad Of El Goodo may be as good as music gets for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alex Chilton died Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alex Chilton died   Alex Chilton died Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alex Chilton died
Page 1 of 1