Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Andrew W.K.

Go down 
+5
manny
Schbopo
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Tough call on where to put this. Is he considered hard rock? I would consider him that, but feel free to move this.

Anyway, looks like his Close Calls With Brick Walls album is finally getting a US release, with a bonus disc of rarities. Pretty sweet.

Quote :
Disc 1 : Close Calls With Brick Walls

1. "I Came For You" - 2:16
2. "Close Calls With Bal Harbour" - 1:22
3. "Not Going To Bed" - 2:57
4. "You Will Remember Tonight" - 4:06
5. "Pushing Drugs" - 2:41
6. "Hand On The Place" - 3:20
7. "One Brother" - 2:25
8. "Las Vegas, Nevada" - 3:00
9. "Dr. Dumont" - 1:06
10. "I Want To See You Go Wild" - 3:00
11. "When I'm High" - 3:16
12. "Golden Eyed Dog" - 0:28
13. "Into The Clear" - 1:33
14. "Mark My Grace" - 3:11
15. "Don't Call Me Andy" - 2:45
16. "The Background" - 2:55
17. "Slam John Against A Brick Wall" - 3:53
18. "The Moving Room" - 3:37

Disc 2 : Mother of Mankind

1. "We Party (You Shout)"
2. "High Five"
3. "Let's Go On A Date"
4. "We Got A Groove"
5. "Sarah Notto"
6. "I'm A Vagabond"
7. "I've Got Know Fear"
8. "Big Party"
9. "Who Knows?"
10. "Coming Bad"
11. "Can You Dance With Me?"
12. "Kicks And Bricks"
13. "A.W.K."
14. "I Will Find God"
15. "This Is My World"
16. "Young Lord"
17. "We're Not Gunna Get Old"
18. "Kill Yourself"
19. "I Want Your Face"
20. "Jewel Street Man"
21. "The Party God"
I know Smindas is pleased? Anyone else? lol!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 5:17 pm

I remember we were sent a free promo copy at work of I Get Wet. It was fun for the first few listens, but it got old pretty quick. I haven't given him much thought after that.

Although did anyone else hear about the rumor/conspiracy that there are actually a few guys playing the "role" of Andrew WK? The rumor is that Andrew was created in the studio as a marekting gimmick and multiple guys have played at festivals and done radio promotion as "the" Andrew WK.

I'll have to go look for the article I read. It was kinda interesting in a tin-foil hat kinda way.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 5:50 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I remember we were sent a free promo copy at work of I Get Wet. It was fun for the first few listens, but it got old pretty quick. I haven't given him much thought after that.
I hear that. Though this (older) new album seems a bit more diverse, you know.

Quote :
Although did anyone else hear about the rumor/conspiracy that there are actually a few guys playing the "role" of Andrew WK? The rumor is that Andrew was created in the studio as a marekting gimmick and multiple guys have played at festivals and done radio promotion as "the" Andrew WK.

I'll have to go look for the article I read. It was kinda interesting in a tin-foil hat kinda way.

Can you replicate that? lol!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 7:14 pm

I like I Get Wet; the followup not so much.

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 7:52 pm

I like "Party Hard"....and that's about it.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 8:38 pm

I am a fan of the first Andrew W.K. album, it is dumb, very dumb but fun rock n roll.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 8:40 pm

manny wrote:
I am a fan of the first Andrew W.K. album, it is dumb, very dumb but fun rock n roll.

Exactly! Stupid but fun rock n roll.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 8:59 pm

The dude is huge in Japan. Those crazy kids love all the weird stuff! Haha.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 4:57 am

Unsurprisingly, I've had this preordered for weeks (although I need to change that as it's with Amazon whereas Newbury Comics have just announced a preorder gift of some kind - it's fun being a fanboy). I already have Close Calls, but Mother of Mankind should be good. Whilst The Wolf remains my favourite, there's something very special about Close Calls. I remember disliking it at first because it's quite a departure from the previous stuff, but it's just a more diverse album.

On a related note, anyone here give Andrew's solo piano album, 55 Cadillac, a listen? It's certainly worth a good few spins. *insert plug here*

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 8:29 am

Novelty.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 8:34 am

I saw this guy on TV a while ago. Seems when he's not doing music, he tours as a motivational speaker. Odd.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 5:39 pm

I had the Japan version. The recording itself is kind of blah but the songs are decent. The drums were very hidden in the mix and it just had an overall blah sound compared to the previous albums. I preordered mine yesturday from Newbury Comics. I wouldn't have if it didnt come with that second disc and a personalized note signed by Andrew. Cool deal!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 12:29 pm

DESTROY BUILD DESTROY!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 7:40 am

I just realised Mother of Mankind has the song 'Kill Yourself' on it. I remember hearing this on the original recording of I Get Wet from before W.K. got a major label deal. If I recall correctly, it was just a weird piano piece with a hilariously nihilistic narration over the top. I can't remember what I did with the MP3 of it though, so I could be a bit wrong. Either way, a handful of the tracks on that album have been released in some form before and it's all pretty good if incohesively varied. Should be a fun CD.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 11:08 am

The dude is a wacko and it sure does reflect in his music. Haha. Did you ever find the Party Til You Puke EP?
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Yeah. I had it on vinyl for ages but it took a while to find it on CD. I found it eventually though - I must've got it like two years or so ago. Still need to pick up that Japanese covers album though...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 10:04 pm

Smindas wrote:
Yeah. I had it on vinyl for ages but it took a while to find it on CD. I found it eventually though - I must've got it like two years or so ago. Still need to pick up that Japanese covers album though...
Has it been that long? I know you didn't have it when I found my copy on CD. Cool, though.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 5:27 am

Yeah, it certainly doesn't feel like it's been that long but I'm pretty sure I got it before I started university - so yeah, two years. Damn, that went fast.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 11:28 am

My sons have recently discovered a Cartoon Network show called "Destroy, Build, Destroy" which is hosted by Andrew W.K. ... pretty funny stuff.

The kids, of course, are more interested in the "Destroy" sequences than in the "Build" segment. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Andrew W.K. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Andrew W.K.   Andrew W.K. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Andrew W.K.
Page 1 of 1