Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Springsteen Live.

Go down 
+11
Schbopo
Metallic Blaze
Stender
jerseyultifan+
manny
MetalGuy71
stepcousin
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
Olafsto
kmorg
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 12:32 am

I know, a lot of you can't stand him but he is a seriously charismatic lead man and the E Street Band is some tight unit. I love Nils Lofgren guitar and Max Weinberg may look like a businessman behind the kit but he doesn't miss. I just picked up a DVD of them and would love to see them live. Has anyone been to a concert of them?
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 6:14 am

I've seen him live 2 times. LOVED every second of it. The first time was in 1999 on the reunion tour with the E-Street band. Second time was in 2008. Both times were magical.

I too am surprised that most people here seems tio ignore, or even dislike, Springsteen. He is one of the best entertainers on the face of the planet, and such a talented musician and songwriter.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:31 am

Springsteen and the E Street Band rules!
Saw them live in 1988 on the Tunnel of Love Tour.
Without a doubt one of the best shows i`ve ever been to.
The energy, the band, the songs and his performance was magic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:33 am

I'm from New Jersey and I never cared for "The Boss". Just not my thing I guess.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:35 am

ultmetal wrote:
I'm from New Jersey and I never cared for "The Boss". Just not my thing I guess.

Ditto. At least you moved out of New Jersey, so you haven't had him rammed down your throat constantly for the last 20-something years like I have!!!

Seriously tho, I got nuthin' against Bruce, he's legendary and stuff, seems like a geniunely nice guy and his live shows are legend, but he's just not my thang. "Born in the USA" was OK for its time but it's been so played to death on radio around here that I never want to hear anything from that album again as long as I live.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:42 am

I used to hate his music back when I was a teenager. I really hated it, I used to make fun of my uncle who said Bruce was cooler than AC/DC and such. I always thought Bruce's music was for "older" people. Well, now I'm "Older" people and I get it. I like his 70's stuff more than anything else. He hasd an uncanny knack for storytelling, his story-songs are my favorite of his. He writes characters what weave throughout his songs from album to album. It's really is great stuff. Music is entertainment, but it can also enrich your soul. If you do like it, you're the richer for it. If you dont like it, eh no biggie. My heart and my soul are richer for delving into his older catalog of music.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:46 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Ditto. At least you moved out of New Jersey, so you haven't had him rammed down your throat constantly for the last 20-something years like I have!!!

Seriously tho, I got nuthin' against Bruce, he's legendary and stuff, seems like a geniunely nice guy and his live shows are legend, but he's just not my thang. "Born in the USA" was OK for its time but it's been so played to death on radio around here that I never want to hear anything from that album again as long as I live.

Same here. He might be Jersey's 2nd favorite son (behind Sinatra), but Philly been his adoptive home and he gets too much airplay and adoration for my taste. Talented guy, but just not my thing.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 11:09 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Same here. He might be Jersey's 2nd favorite son (behind Sinatra

Actually I'd say ol' Blue Eyes probably ranks #3 nowadays, behind Bruce and Jon Bon Jovi on the "Favorite Son" list.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 11:13 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Same here. He might be Jersey's 2nd favorite son (behind Sinatra

Actually I'd say ol' Blue Eyes probably ranks #3 nowadays, behind Bruce and Jon Bon Jovi on the "Favorite Son" list.

Not in my household. Try telling that to my dad. Springsteen Live. Icon_razz "That poodle haired guy? Please. Frank ate guys like that for breakfast and downed it with a triple gin martini. Scooby-doobie-doo."

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 11:16 am

I am fan of the Boss, but I feel he is slightly overrated, and I may feel that way because during the 80's his music was just rammed down our throats. Not his fault of course but still...

His music and lyrics are gold IMO, as a person who appreciate good lyrics I feel he is one of the best, and his songs tell stories (like Mellencamp), real human stories.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 11:26 am

Born in the USA was born during the man's least creative era though. Even Bruce himself hates that song now, as it was misunderstood as a pro-America thing, when it is actually an anti-American war thing.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 11:28 am

kmorg wrote:
Born in the USA was born during the man's least creative era though. Even Bruce himself hates that song now, as it was misunderstood as a pro-America thing, when it is actually an anti-American war thing.

If anyone bothered reading the lyrics, it is about a man who has returned from Vietnam disillusioned, look at opening stanza:

Born down in a deadman's town/First Kick I took is when I hit the ground/End up like a Dog that has been beat too much/Spend half your life just covering up.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 11:43 am

kmorg wrote:
Born in the USA was born during the man's least creative era though.

True, and yet it became his most successful era. Go figure. Springsteen Live. Icon_razz

Kmorg wrote:
Even Bruce himself hates that song now, as it was misunderstood as a pro-America thing, when it is actually an anti-American war thing

...which I have always found hilarious. All you have to do is read the lyrics to realize it's not exactly a "go-go-America" song, yet anytime Bruce plays the Meadowlands Arena here in NJ, the local news always sends a reporter out there and they find some chucklehead waving an American flag out in the parking lot chanting "BRUUUUUUCE! BRUUUUUUUUCE! USA! USA!" Springsteen Live. 201269

Ronald Reagan wanted to use the song as the theme for his re-election campaign back in the day, but Bruce told him "no." Obviously nobody in Ronnie's camp read the lyrics either. Springsteen Live. Icon_lol

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 12:07 pm

That reminds me of a bit that comedian Robert Wuhl used to do about a group of New Jersey folks (big Bruce fans I suppose) that petitioned the local Jersey legislature to make 'Born to Run' the official New Jersey State Song. One quick glance at the lyrics will tell you it's about the struggle to get out of the state.

Baby this town rips the bones from your back
Its a death trap, it's a suicide rap
We gotta get out while were young
'cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 12:13 pm

But the way he sings it is what matters and it sounds very pro USA. How many sheeple really read lyrics anyways?
The 70's were his best stuff, The River and Born To Run being the ultimate albums he did. But there are some great songs out of the 80's, especially off Tunnel Of Love. He went down some different roads with the Joad stuff and the Pete Seeger sessions and he lost me on those but Majic and The Rising are great albums.
Back to top Go down

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 12:15 pm

I wonder if your too close to something it can make you jaded. I was in the Pacific NW when grunge broke and got very sick of it very fast. Maybe that's how Bruce is for some of you.

Funny thing is about Born To Run, he never left.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 12:34 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
I wonder if your too close to something it can make you jaded. I was in the Pacific NW when grunge broke and got very sick of it very fast. Maybe that's how Bruce is for some of you.

Funny thing is about Born To Run, he never left.

Maybe the song is a metaphor of the state of mind of some of peps he encountered then escaping an actual geographical location.
Back to top Go down
jerseyultifan+
Metal master
Metal master
jerseyultifan+

Number of posts : 626

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 1:09 pm

ultmetal wrote:

ditto..we nj peoples got choked on waaaaaaaay too much airplay...made us not like springsteen..i will admit that he can write a good lyric..but,just cringed everytime i heard him on the radio! especially when they would refer to him as "nj's best" ewwww! barf!

would rather think of nj as the former home of my favorite thrash metal band's lead singer...the one and only and never duplicated...scott waters! give it up for scott! Springsteen Live. 911681 Springsteen Live. 320592 Springsteen Live. 337331 Springsteen Live. 795291

Last edited by jerseyultifan+ on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.roweproductions.com

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 1:12 pm

Nebraska

That is all....
Back to top Go down

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 1:34 pm

That actually says a lot Shawn.
Back to top Go down

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 1:38 pm

jerseyultifan+ wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

ditto..we nj peoples got choked on waaaaaaaay too much airplay...made us not like springsteen..i will admit that he can write a good lyric..but,just cringed everytime i heard him on the radio! especially when they would refer to him as "nj's best" ewwww! barf!

would rather think of nj as the former home of my favorite thrash metal band's lead singer...the one and only and never duplicated...scott waters! give it up for scott! Springsteen Live. 911681 Springsteen Live. 320592 Springsteen Live. 337331 Springsteen Live. 795291

I used to live in NJ too! Can I be as awesome as Scott Waters...the most unbelieveably awesomest Thrash Metal singer who used to live in NJ too???
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 1:42 pm

S wrote:
jerseyultifan+ wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I used to live in NJ too! Can I be as awesome as Scott Waters...the most unbelieveably awesomest Thrash Metal singer who used to live in NJ too???

So blunt...I love it man. Springsteen Live. 201269
Back to top Go down
jerseyultifan+
Metal master
Metal master
jerseyultifan+

Number of posts : 626

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 2:08 pm

ok guys,wheres the love and sense of humor?? huh? sheez you guys are brutal!! Springsteen Live. Lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.roweproductions.com
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 4:42 pm

I'm a fan of Bruce Springsteen, but only casually. I have a greatest hits album and that's enough ... for now at least.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 6:35 pm

I like the E Street Band...just not Bruce. His voice makes me want to throw small children in washing machines. "Born To Run" would be a great album if he didn't sing on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Springsteen Live. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Springsteen Live.   Springsteen Live. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Springsteen Live.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next