Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer

Go down 
+21
Fat Freddy
spiritoradio
Getizzyback
the sentinel
SAHB Healer
James B.
jstate
Olafsto
Shiney
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
Neuropete
manny
Troublezone
GrandNational
rattpoison
Metallic Blaze
Sutekh
Required Fields
Orion Crystal Ice
Schbopo
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 4:08 pm

Sinead O`Connor.
Good call on Wall Of Voodoo/Stan Ridgeway
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 6:49 pm

Though they had alternative hits (and I'd assume some overseas hits), Squeeze had so much more than "Tempted".
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 6:55 pm

jstate wrote:
Though they had alternative hits (and I'd assume some overseas hits), Squeeze had so much more than "Tempted".

Good call. I have a comp of their stuff and still the only song I think of right off the bat is Tempted. A great song it is though.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 11:01 pm

I'll add Looking Glass, Five Man Electrical Band, and Mungo Jerry

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 11:55 pm

This is my favorite subject because looking "behind the hits" has been so rewarding for me. Here are my top ten classic rockers that you might think you know, but maybe look again!

1. Golden Earring- Yeah I know they had two hits "Radar Love" & "Twilight Zone" in the USA, but they never had a chance otherwise because most of their awesome early 70's albums are otherwise completely opaque and creepy, with no attempt at commerciality. A great, very dark, hard rock band.
2. Brownsville Station "Smokin' In The Boys Room". They had about five albums worth of entertaining hard rock that was like Alice Cooper crossed with The Sweet, with a little southern rock flavor added.
3. Ram Jam "Black Betty". Their first album was all like that, and their second album was even heavier. Not really southern rock, per se.
4. Manfred Mann's Earth Band- I know they had at least a couple of other similarly dumb hits in addition to "Blinded By The Light", but I'm listing them because these are totally misrepresentative of their Earth Band period. Really they were about half american sounding hard rock (that's right), and half high quality kraut-like prog rock, believe it or not.
5. Stories- I always hated that cover of "Brother Louie" (how come it's always the goofy stuff that gets on the radio?). But in reality they were a very talented and diverse band, kind of like a proggy Humble Pie that wasn't as heavy. They did rock a little sometimes though.
6. Head East "Never Been Any Reason". They had a lot of songs like that.
7. Henry Gross as in "Shannon Is Gone", which I think was about a dead dog. Even sadder was the fact that that song made everyone forget that he'd once made a couple of albums that were about half energetic and high quality hard rock. Think a grittier version of Eddie Money. Really not as bad as it sounds, honest!
8. New England "Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya'". They had three albums of fine power pop mixed with somewhat proggy pomp. Excellent stuff.
9. Pilot "Magic". Some other nice proggy pop songs as well, and a couple of their members went on to form some of the bedrock of the Alan Parsons Project.
10. Bob Welch- I'm not sure if "Sentimental Lady" or "Ebony Eyes" are still remembered as hits or not; but the point is that in between his Fleetwood Mac period and his French Kiss period he had a project called Paris. The second album was no good, but the s/t was very heavy for 1973, Zeppelin inspired, and kind of drug addled and sick in my opinion. It's the loudest thing I've listed here, except for Ram Jam..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 11:48 am

I used to have Manfred Mann's Earth Band on Vinyl. Can't even remember the name of the albums but one had a song called, The Runner, or something. Anyway, good stuff, very different from the early stuff.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 7:08 pm

How about Living Colour. Never understood how they couldn't get a second single to catch on from that first album.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 7:14 pm

jstate wrote:
How about Living Colour. Never understood how they couldn't get a second single to catch on from that first album.

Oh, man, that totally slipped my mind! That first LC record is pure gold. "Glamour Boys" should have been huge. It's so darn funky...
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Shiney wrote:
WALL OF VOODOO.....more than "Mexican Radio" both the band and Stan RIdgeway have alot of cool tunes to offer.

THE CHURCH..."Under The Milky Way" is their main well known ditty...great band.."Starfish" is a killer album.

Yes, the Church definitely.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 5:02 pm

The Church rules!
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 2:59 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
manny wrote:
TZ I think Men at Work had a few hit singles, 'Who Can it Be Now' 'Down Under' and 'Its a Mistake', I am sure I have the song titles all wrong.

Don't forget my favorite...."Overkill"....one of the most beautiful songs ever...

"...ghosts appear and fade away..."

Boy, I love that song too. I remember really liking the video. It was one of my favorites in the earlier (much cooler) days of MTV.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 pm

tohostudios wrote:
How about April Wine?

A lot of people only know about "Just Between You And Me" but they have a ton of great songs.

I love them. "Roller" and "I Like To Rock" are awesome. They will be inducted into the Canadian HoF on April 19th 2010. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 3:53 pm

Ratt's probally considered to be a one hit wonder by most. Round and Round is the only one of their songs I have ever heard on the radio.

The're one of my favorite bands ever, go figure.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 5:35 pm

Getizzyback wrote:
Ratt's probally considered to be a one hit wonder by most. Round and Round is the only one of their songs I have ever heard on the radio.

For real? They had a ton of hits in the 80's, right? Back For More and Dance get pretty regular airplay out here.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 8:04 pm

I think that A Flock of Seagulls are a highly underrated band. Most people only know "I Ran", but they had so many other great songs that everyone forgets about.

Wishing(If I Had a Photograph of You)

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 9:49 pm

FGTH's "Two Tribes" was kickass!! That video was quite controversial in its day too. I believe it may have been banned from MTV for a brief period.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 9:49 pm

Most my favourites don't even have that one hit.

Helloween? I Want Out was somewhat of a hit.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 9:54 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
FGTH's "Two Tribes" was kickass!! That video was quite controversial in its day too. I believe it may have been banned from MTV for a brief period.

Ever see the banned version of the "Relax" video? It's so g4y and wonderful.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 8:41 am

Are you gey Schobop?
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 10:03 am

Molly Hatchet could be seen as a one hit wonder. Love the hell out of them though.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Are you gey Schobop?

Only on Tuesdays.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 7:15 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Getizzyback wrote:

For real? They had a ton of hits in the 80's, right? Back For More and Dance get pretty regular airplay out here.

Wow, really? I couldn't imagine ever hearing "Dance" on the radio from anywhere I've lived. I spent most of my life down in the Miami, FL area and never heard any Round and Roundless Ratt there, then in Atlanta, GA a few years and now East TN area, and Round and Round is all that's around! They don't play Ratt on "2 for Tues" here at all.

Let me add another....Britny Fox had "Girlschool", and it's probally one of the least favorites for me by them. That's all I remember hearing from them on the radio. Now with the Friday Night 80s kinda stuff, all you will get from them is the notorious "Girlschool".
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 9:34 pm

Britny Fox also had the hit "Long Way to Love".

I love Britny Fox.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 9:06 am

Schbopo wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:
Are you gey Schobop?

Only on Tuesdays.

'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 201269
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next