Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*

Go down 
+19
jstate
Gilbert
7thSaviour
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Ben Grimm
MEGATRON
Metal Misfit
Addy
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
thejokeriv
snooloui
tohostudios
manny
Schbopo
Eyesore
Metallic Blaze
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 11:10 am

1.Hysteria
2.Pyromania
3.Adrenalize
4.High And Dry
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 12:23 pm

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
My Top 3 albums from them are:

1. Pyromaia
2. Hysteria
3. Slang

I think they're a very good Rock band. These days, I think Joe Elliot is a whiny git who thinks of himself higher than he ought. But by the same token, I can't fugure out why they don't enjoy the same current/ongoing success as Bon Jovi or Aerosmith.

I can't figure that out either, maybe because they got lumped into the hair/pop metal genre and they did win over enough soccer moms like Bon Jovi did.

Bon Jovi was as much of a "poster child" for Hair Metal as anyone and yet they managed to maintain themselves more successfully than Def Leppard did...they had thier lean years, but overall managed to still have at least a minor US hit on every album they released...DL has had no such luck and their music is at least just as good as anything BJ has done in the last 15 years...

Again I agree, and it is a mystery to me, but I guess it is like you said, Bon Jovi has had hits , however minor some of those hits may have been, where Def Leppard has not always had such luck.

I think Def Leppard's fortunes have changed for the better the last few years, Taylor Swift had them as a her guest artists on the show 'Crossroads' which I am sure helped Def Leppard move a few units and I believe their greatest hits album 'Vault' has gone or almost gone to diamond status as far as sales.
No mystery at all. Bon Jovi is a sexy dude. That's it right there. A few years back, two of my female friends had two extra tickets to see Jovi. So me and my friend Brian went. The crowd was 95% women. It was absurd! It was hard to hear the music over all the screaming. And then whoever was working the giant TV screens as a backdrop kept focusing in on Jon's ass, and the place literally shook from all the women convulsing in insta-orgasm. And this was totally scripted, too, because Jon would turn toward the drum kit and shake said ass.

Sadly, Def Leppard haven't got this sort of sex symbol in the band. They have the hits, or potential hits, of course, but there's no pretty face that people want to see on magazines and TV.

Last edited by Eyesore on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 12:24 pm

I was into them up to Hysteria. They went downhill after that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 pm

I think Songs From The Sparkle Lounge is a great album. Shows their roots in 70's glam yet retains the DL sound.

High N Dry
Pyromania
Hysteria
SFTSL
Yeah!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Quote :
No mystery at all. Bon Jovi is a sexy dude. That's it right there. A few years back, two of my female friends had two extra tickets to see Jovi. So me and my friend Brian went. The crowd was 95% women. It was absurd! It was hard to hear the music over all the screaming. And then whoever was working the giant TV screens as a backdrop kept focusing in on Jon's ass, and the place literally shook from all the women convulsing in insta-orgasm. And this was totally scripted, too, because Jon would turn toward the drum kit and shake said ass.

Brown-Eyesore has a point. When Jon Bon Jovi signed on as partial owner of the Soul indoor football team of the now defunct AFL, I actually heard girls saying they bought tickets just to see JBJ. They could care less about the football game.

Joe Elliot is looking like an old lesbian these days. He should be running an organic cat food shop in upstate New York with his "life partner".

Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Joe1

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 12:48 pm

Also, since 1995, Bon Jovi has stayed pretty visible on the shelves...

Since 1995:

Bon Jovi
These Days
Crush
Bounce
Have A Nice Day
Lost Highway
This Left Feels Right
The Circle
One Live Night
100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong (box)

6 real albums, 1 live album, 1 rework album and a 5-CD box...

Def Leppard
Vault (collection)
Slang
Euphoria
X
Yeah!
Songs From The Sparkle Lounge
Rock Of Ages (collection)

4 real albums, 2 best-of's and a covers album...

Add to that JBJ being in TV, movies, owning a sports team, charity work, the Country crossover, etc and the band (or Jon) stays pretty visible.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 1:36 pm

Def Leppard were awesome in their early years. I loved them. Still do.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 4:07 pm

I loved Pyromania though I haven't heard it in years and have never upgraded my cassette. After that I just went with the hits never bothering to buy the albums. So for years now they've been off my radar. I did recently pick up a copy of High N Dry and is that ever a great album. As a youngster I never appreciated it, mainly because it wasn't Pyromania. I now have an urge to get On Through The Night next.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 7:14 pm

late 70's-early 80's for me. I used to hate Hysteria, so much so that I passed on a chance to see them live in 1988. I like Hysteria now, albiet in low doses and few and far between listens.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 7:19 pm

It's too bad they distanced themselves so much from their metal roots. I've yet to hear anything good from their modern day stuff.
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 11:23 pm

Yep, I'm a fan, at least up to and including Hysteria. Love those first few albums!
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 6:49 pm

Troublezone wrote:
It's too bad they distanced themselves so much from their metal roots. I've yet to hear anything good from their modern day stuff.

Def Leppard were never a metal band.

Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 564665
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 12:48 am

Fan of their first three records. Didn't care much for them after that. Pete Willis and Steve Clark were such a great team.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 1:47 am

7thSaviour wrote:
1.Hysteria
2.Pyromania
3.Adrenalize
4.High And Dry

Same exact order dude!!!

Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 778825
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2023 9:45 am

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2023 6:32 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Def Leppard were never a metal bandDef Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 564665

Then why were they historically included in the NWOBHM movement? The first two albums are considered metal. Metal and heavy rock were almost the same thing in the late 70’s. Even Black Sabbath didn’t consider themselves metal… but the fans know they created the genre! Same with Motörhead. Lemmy never identified as metal. How did they inspire thrash? Metal is just a label. Most bands considered metal are just “heavy rock”. Judas Priest became the poster boys for traditional metal. It’s mostly just an image. I don’t care what anyone says… Wasted by Def Leppard is a badass riff and metal song!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*   Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?* - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard *how do you feel about them?*
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2