Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal-Archives

Go down 
+27
JDC
EvyMetal
DeathCult
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
manny
GrandNational
bgast1
Required Fields
Metal Misfit
Gilbert
Lurideath
troublemagnet
Smindas
XYZ
Metallic Blaze
snooloui
MetalFRO
Mglaffas81
metalheaded
Eyesore
Stender
kmorg
mc666
Orion Crystal Ice
Jesusandmetal23
ultmetal
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Metal-Archives - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 7:57 pm

Eyesore wrote:
A smart person would create a more global site, include some unobtrusive advertisement, expand it to all metal and rock, hard rock, etc.

I agree.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 8:16 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
Isn't that site basically a metal Wikipedia?

Yep, except it contains information on every 'metal' band you have and haven't heard of, which makes it much better than wikipedia. If only they'd make the improvements mentioned in this thread already and stopped being muppets by stopping bands like Van Halen entering the archives. If Stryper deserve a place, so do Van Halen.

Last edited by snooloui on Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 8:16 pm

Eyesore wrote:
A smart person would create a more global site, include some unobtrusive advertisement, expand it to all metal and rock, hard rock, etc.
try...
http://www.musicmight.com/

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 8:30 pm

mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
try...
Cool. Never heard of this one before.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Some of the attitudes strike me as about as bad as some I don't understand all the kneejerk reaction about, if this band isn't labeled this way, it must be saying they suck........ that's the only way I can explain a lot of anger at something as absurd as hair metal not being on there. It's called 'Metal' archives, and therefore, is excluding by design. If everything is included, what would be the point of it as a resource? And have people seen sites like HeavyHarmonies.com, which specializes in glam, hard rock, AOR, and so forth? Hello. De-evolution is not a good thing. There should always be continued discussion and debate on sound, the science of different sounds. It's important, to help keep things in order, and it stimulates the brain. I don't see how it's a negative. I think a bunch of the main people there are pricks, yeah, but I don't disagree with what the site is trying to do. Show me another musical form besides the umbrella term of 'rock' that ignites as much discussion concerning it's own diversity. None of it means you can't like this or can't like that or whatever it may be. A large number of people who enjoy this music happen to also participate in what others may call..OCD.... and if there's room for you guys then there should be room for people who want the details, want to nitpick, want to learn more, who generally just find the whole thing fascinating. Music for me no matter the genre is enthralling, stirring, fulfilling, and fascinating on all cerebral and spiritual levels. Get over nu/core not being on a site. It should barely even exist at all, and it has such a legion in following that it doesn't matter if it's featured on another page or not.

I like turtles.
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 10:38 pm

I like metal archives, but a lot of the music I search for isn't there. I can't stand a lot of the reviews either. Some of them folks just don't have a clue. Always complaining.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 10:58 pm

You know what I always thought was funny about this site? They have Deep Purple in there, but refuse to add Led Zeppelin. DP didn't even start as a heavy band in its initial inception, and Led Zep helped pave the way for much of what became heavy metal in the 70's. Go figure.

Always thought ZAO should be listed there, despite their hardcore roots.

One other thing. Non of my reviews have ever been accepted by these guys, even after a second submission. Now i just don't care too much except when I really need to look at some minute detail on a band.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:19 pm

I wouldn't mind if Zao was there and some of the other core-ish crap was gone. Though, it seems like there's only a good Zao record when Russ is there on guitar...
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 1:09 am

Eyesore wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
try...
Cool. Never heard of this one before.

Same here. Just added it to my favorites though. Looks like a great site for people who like more variety in their metal.

Metal Archives is a great site, but so freekin' narrow minded and elitist - it's sickening.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:39 am

GrandNational wrote:
You know what I always thought was funny about this site? They have Deep Purple in there, but refuse to add Led Zeppelin. DP didn't even start as a heavy band in its initial inception, and Led Zep helped pave the way for much of what became heavy metal in the 70's. Go figure.

One other thing. Non of my reviews have ever been accepted by these guys, even after a second submission. Now i just don't care too much except when I really need to look at some minute detail on a band.

I've had several people email me and tell me that they submitted reviews for Ultimatum CDs but those reviews were never posted, your reviews included. Not sure what the deal is with that.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 9:05 am

The deal is their a bunch of elitist asswipes, if they donot like it, then it must not be metal. I can't stand a majority of metalcore or whatever the hell it is called but IMO they should be included in a site like Metal-Archives, as should AC/DC and Led Zeppelin, and Van Halen who influenced alot of band's already included in that site.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 9:18 am

mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
try...
[url=http://www.musicmight.com/
http://www.musicmight.com/[/quote[/url]]

Very very cool, thanks for the link MC666
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 9:20 am

Even worse than the elitists who run that site, are the doofuses who take their word as gospel mettle tr00th.

I got into an argument with a guy at another forum about Iced Earth a while back, he asked "why are you even posting about them, no one cares about Iced Earth anymore..." when I sez "according to who?" he posted links to the Metal Archives entries for a couple of I.E. discs that got mediocre reviews, as if this were "proof." I was like "Um, OK. So the elitist ass-bags at that site don't like'em so that means I'm not supposed to like'em anymore either? Whatever."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:16 am

mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
try...

or http://www.rateyourmusic.com
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:59 am

I haven't submitted a review in years, because I never liked how they turned out and even though I'd be way better now I don't want to bother. But they would probably get rid of mine if I did judging from what people say now. Metal-Archives - Page 2 19976

I love RYM. People need to go to mine and friend me and whatever. http://rateyourmusic.com/~orioncrystalice
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 11:04 am

ultmetal wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

I've had several people email me and tell me that they submitted reviews for Ultimatum CDs but those reviews were never posted, your reviews included. Not sure what the deal is with that.

In order for it to be "accepted" apparently you have to get the green light from said metal scholars.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 2:42 pm

I think that Derek Roddy's band, Serpents Rise should be on there. There's no information elsewhere about them.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 2:59 pm

As long as someone gets a hold of a demo or whatever recorded collection they'll have out. I didn't think they had anything out yet, and you have to have at least some form of unifying collection of songs released to get added. Sometimes I like checking out the demo tapes and stuff people put on eBay and you can find a lot of new material to add that way sometimes. I've added a couple of album covers from scans I've found on there, that nobody else has..
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 3:23 pm

I usually refer to websites to read reviews before buying my albums. What i don't like about metal archives is the fact that their reviews are so contradictory, hence making my task difficult. This is why nolifetilmetal is better by far. It's a straight forward one guy opinion.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 3:56 pm

I usually find it's best to see multiple ones on multiple sites, what I will usually do is go on Amazon and MA. When you get a variety, you get the extreme views, and then the more 'fair and balanced', which usually wind up being the most accurate, and that tells you most of what you need to know. IMO.
Back to top Go down
JDC
Metal novice
Metal novice
JDC

Number of posts : 74

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 4:36 pm

I tried adding the band Toe Tag (ex-Accused) on there last year and was declined because it was deemed 'hardcore, not metal'. Then a few months later I see Toe Tag on there under 'crossover', go figure.

It's funny, they'll have a band on there like Dr. Know because they recorded one metal sounding album (like many 80's HC bands), yet they'll decline a band like the Dayglo Abortions who were more metal sounding IMO (although not so much anymore)

Last edited by JDC on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 5:05 pm

Who calls the shots at that place anyway?

Is it just one person, or a whole group?

They've been totally off before...

I just noticed a mistake today on their Shadows Fall page.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 5:22 pm

I can't find RATT in there. Metal-Archives - Page 2 308838
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 12:34 am

Gilbert wrote:
I can't find RATT in there. Metal-Archives - Page 2 308838

I guess they are not 'metal' enough.

Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 9:31 pm

I cannot believe they do not have Praying Mantis up on there. One of the Pioneers of NWOBHM!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal-Archives   Metal-Archives - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal-Archives
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next