Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grunge's best bassist

Go down 
+10
Schbopo
rattpoison
Neuropete
MetalRob331
MetalGuy71
manny
iamrockerfun
Metallic Blaze
mc666
fingers
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Grunge's best bassist - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grunge's best bassist   Grunge's best bassist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 10:21 pm

AIC is the only so-called grunge band i really like so i will go with Mike Starr. Mike Inez is good too but he was doing stuff with Ozzy before AIC so i don't consider him a grunge bassist.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Grunge's best bassist   Grunge's best bassist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 12:12 am

Addy wrote:
Id say Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth (who also plays guitar in the band at times or has) or Kim Deal of the Pixies

Krist would be 3rd on my list

Not that I am an expert or anyhting but didn't Sonic Youth appear about 10 years before "grunge"?

Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Grunge's best bassist   Grunge's best bassist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 12:18 am

James B. wrote:
Addy wrote:
Id say Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth (who also plays guitar in the band at times or has) or Kim Deal of the Pixies

Not that I am an expert or anyhting but didn't Sonic Youth appear about 10 years before "grunge"?

They were fromed in 1981 as a noise punk band and were part of the New York underground punk scene until 1992
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Grunge's best bassist   Grunge's best bassist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 7:25 am

fingers wrote:
James B. wrote:
Addy wrote:

They were fromed in 1981 as a noise punk band and were part of the New York underground punk scene until 1992

Correct, but at the time grunge exploded - most of the bands cited Sonic Youth as an influence, thus making them one of the godfathers of the genre.

Much like Venom was to black metal. Venom wasn't 'really' black metal - but they were considered the godfathers of the genre.

I think that's how Sonic Youth is viewed in the grunge world, so they do qualify as grunge - in a more innovative and influential way.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Grunge's best bassist   Grunge's best bassist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 2:59 pm

Yeah what MB said

Nirvana was heavily influenced by Sonic Youth from the music, to who they used for Mgmt, Nirvana chose their mgmt because Sonic Youth was a client

Id say Sonic Youth and the Melvins were big big influences

Speaking of Melvins I actually heard a song off the Melvins' album that Cobain produced it sounded pretty sweet IMO
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Grunge's best bassist   Grunge's best bassist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 6:29 pm

I never was a fan of The Melvins for some reason. I only ever heard one song though.

Is their catalogue pretty good throughout? I might explore them a bit.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Grunge's best bassist   Grunge's best bassist - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 6:33 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
I never was a fan of The Melvins for some reason. I only ever heard one song though.

Is their catalogue pretty good throughout? I might explore them a bit.

I love the Melvins. They're closer to doom metal than grunge though. Check out their version of "Green Manalishi"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grunge's best bassist   Grunge's best bassist - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grunge's best bassist
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2