Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Myspace to pay artists

Go down 
+8
Dave the Boss
T-Roy
Temple of Blood
mc666
Eyesore
Lurideath
ultmetal
GrandNational
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Myspace to pay artists Empty
PostSubject: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 1:38 am

Anyone read this article?: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/entertainmentmusicindustrymideminternet
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 8:20 am

Article is blocked at work. I'll check it out tonight.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 1:07 pm

Thats awesome! Great news for bands!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 1:11 pm

I better get paid! "Halloweeny" was a big hit for me. Haha.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 1:16 pm

myspace has always been a great tool for bands. now it will be even better.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 1:21 pm

I can't wait to retire on this money.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 1:22 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
REMEMBER ME!!! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 1:30 pm

I can't open the article. Where are they getting the money to pay them?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 1:31 pm

T-Roy wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
REMEMBER ME!!! Myspace to pay artists Lol

No problem man. There'll be plenty to go around.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 1:33 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
I can't open the article. Where are they getting the money to pay them?

Here's the article:

CANNES, France (AFP) –

Social networking site MySpace, which has enabled many artists to launch their careers, is now helping to pay them back millions of dollars in "lost" royalties for songs and performances.

MySpace CEO Owen van Natta said Sunday the company had signed a ground-breaking deal with performance rights group SoundExchange to track down some 25,000 major, independent and unsigned artists owed more than 14 million dollars in unpaid royalties.

"The money will be put into escrow as we search for the acts," he said at the opening of the MIDEM industry trade fair, his first speech outside the United States. Van Natta said he planned to use the MySpace platform to put the artists in touch with SoundExchange, a non-profit-making performance rights organisation that collects royalties for the streaming of music on Internet/satellite radio on behalf of sound recording copyright owners.

The deal with MySpace opens up a new and effective way of contacting artists who are registered with MySpace but not with SoundExchange, the companies said in a press release.

"It can be a challenge notifying and convincing artists to register with SoundExchange because they don't know they're entitled to these royalties, or believe it's too good to be true," said SoundExchange senior executive Bryan Calhoun.

MySpace, which is part of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. group, has grown into a music power house under the guidance of van Natta, who talked at MIDEM about how he and his team
have worked to make it easier for users to find new music and share tracks.

This has resulted in users creating over 180 million playlists on MySpace Music, which van Natta said is now the largest advertising-supported music business on the Web. MySpace, which has been going head-to-head with its closest competitors, Facebook, to become the most popular social networking space, has also launched the career of many musicians, including that of British-born sensation Lily Allen.

Last edited by GrandNational on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 1:52 pm

That's great. I guess that means that a lot of underground bands will finally see some money.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 1:55 pm

That's great news!! The artists deserve to be paid.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 1:58 pm

nevermore wrote:
To be paid for what though? I can see artists wanting to be paid for their songs being used and uploaded by other members, but should the artist be paid for songs streamed from their own MySpace page? The site is free; they upload that music of their own free will. And it's all free for them. Should they be paid for that?
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 2:00 pm

Eyesore wrote:
nevermore wrote:
To be paid for what though? I can see artists wanting to be paid for their songs being used and uploaded by other members, but should the artist be paid for songs streamed from their own MySpace page? The site is free; they upload that music of their own free will. And it's all free for them. Should they be paid for that?

Yes, for the songs being uploaded by others. I should have put that in my post.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 2:04 pm

nevermore wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
nevermore wrote:

There is the argument that visitors to these bands' pages are generating revenue for MySpace, thus they deserve a cut, but how does a company do the math on that? It'd be nearly impossible to do.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Eyesore wrote:
nevermore wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
nevermore wrote:

There is the argument that visitors to these bands' pages are generating revenue for MySpace, thus they deserve a cut, but how does a company do the math on that? It'd be nearly impossible to do.

True.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 2:10 pm

I thought this organization was going to "use" myspace as a way to get past/lost royalties to bands found on myspace.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 2:26 pm

If bands can somehow get paid for their efforts, I'm all for it, good for them.

It all sounds like a nice idea in theory, but don't go holding your breath for bands to actually see checks flowing in. Noone is making money from MySpace except Mr. MySpace and his board of executives. I can see things getting hung up in bureaucratic red-tape, legal entanglements, fees, etc. till a few years down the road, when Band X gets a check in the mail for .57 cents.

Gee whiz, the system works!! Thanks MySpace!!

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 2:29 pm

Yea I don't get it. But if I see some cash come our way I'll let you all know.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 2:32 pm

I don't know much about how music/publishing rights work but this sounds like it's a step in the right direction.

Lemme see if I get this straight: if I had a MySpace page (which I don't) and I put an Ultimatum track on the music player on my page, somehow or other this organization will keep track of that and Ultimatum would get a nickel for it every time it's played or something?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 2:32 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
If bands can somehow get paid for their efforts, I'm all for it, good for them.

It all sounds like a nice idea in theory, but don't go holding your breath for bands to actually see checks flowing in. Noone is making money from MySpace except Mr. MySpace and his board of executives. I can see things getting hung up in bureaucratic red-tape, legal entanglements, fees, etc. till a few years down the road, when Band X gets a check in the mail for .57 cents.

Gee whiz, the system works!! Thanks MySpace!!

Exactly. A few months ago at my job I heard Sub Mail Carriers were going to get some back pay from a previous error. I heard about this in November (I believe) and I still haven't seen a dime. When I hear about things like this I don't get my hopes up. Theres always something that gets in the way and either delays it or just never happens because of some loop hole.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 2:44 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Yea I don't get it. But if I see some cash come our way I'll let you all know.

I don't think it'll hurt to register with SoundExchange and see what happens. Getting something is better than nothing.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 2:46 pm

I wonder if this means they will start charging users or adding more ads, thus driving people towards YouTube/Facebook/etc.

I don't see how they can pay what radio used to pay to every MySpace artist for each play.

Is last.fm gonna have to do this next?
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 4:24 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I don't know much about .....
I mean, you can just stop at that right there! lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 5:17 pm

T-Roy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
I don't know much about .....
I mean, you can just stop at that right there! Myspace to pay artists Lol

Mehhhh, bite me, Zippy. Myspace to pay artists 395375

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Myspace to pay artists   Myspace to pay artists Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Myspace to pay artists
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next