Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does anyone still watch SNL?

Go down 
+11
T-Roy
MetalGuy71
Schbopo
Fat Freddy
scottmitchell74
Metal Misfit
mc666
Addy
Metallic Blaze
A Handful of Wayne
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Does anyone still watch SNL? Empty
PostSubject: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 12:09 am

An old friend and I got into a little argument over Saturday Night Live. He put a post on his facebook saying he was sad to see Conan Obrien's last show and the only good things left on NBC were SNL and something else I forget what he said. I wrote back to him and said SNL is still watchable? I was a pretty regular watcher of SNL back in the day but then it just started to go down hill really fast and I just stopped watching it. So he read what I wrote and got all defensive saying its still funny and I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm watching it now, its a repeat from when they did the skit about Tiger Woods' wife beating him. that skit was funny but in all the show is not funny. The skits go on too long and its like they dont know when to stop. Its a shame because there are a few funny people on there that I like, like Bill Hader and some guy whos name I forget right now haha but its just horrible. Does anyone else feel the same way or is my friend right? He says I'm old and don't know whats funny. Funny thing is were the same age! I think I got a really good sense of what FUNNY is.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 5:14 am

I do miss the old days of SNL. I think they peaked around the time Chris Farley was on.

It's not really been the same ever since.

however, I still find it 'watchable' in small doses.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 5:27 am

SNL was so groundbreaking, I think their best was like MB said was when it had Chris Farley, Phil Hartman, Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, Dana Carvey, Mike Myers

but some would disagree i am sure and say the time when it was Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy , etc....

I think personally that after the Farley era it just went downhill.... but whose to say that it wont get better?
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 5:56 am

I liked Tina Fey doing Sarah Palin. That was funny.

The show still has it's redeemable moments.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 8:24 am

Addy wrote:
SNL was so groundbreaking, I think their best was like MB said was when it had Chris Farley, Phil Hartman, Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, Dana Carvey, Mike Myers
that's the SNL that i grew up with. it was great back then. i watched sporadically during the Will Ferrell years, but lost interest.

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 8:30 am

mc666 wrote:
Addy wrote:
that's the SNL that i grew up with. it was great back then. i watched sporadically during the Will Ferrell years, but lost interest.

Yea same here. I actually remember the original cast as well because it used to be played on nick at nite when I was younger. Those years were hilarious.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:59 am

SNL has always been hit or miss, even back to the revered first couple of years. That's just the nature of this type of show. Granted, there have been some REALLY awful years.

The worst seasons I've seen were '93-'95. It was a weird mix of the early 90s cast that was getting phased out, debuts of the cast members that would later become popular in the late 90s and stuck in the middle were tons of lame semi-known comedians like Jay Mohr, Laura Kightlinger, Janeane Garofalo, Sarah Silverman, Chris Elliott and Michael McKean.

Seems like most people prefer whatever era they grew up with. For me, that would be the early '90s. Meyers, Carvey, Hartman, Nealon, Rock, Sandler, Schneider, Spade, etc. Of course, they've all gone on to Hollywood and have been a part of some of the worst TV shows and movies in history. Razz

I would really like to see the non-Lorne Michaels years. I know it was supposedly really bad, but I'm curious about it because those were the episodes Comedy Central would rarely air. And besides, a young Julia Louis-Dreyfus is EXTREMELY hot. Lorne tends to ignore and downplay the time he wasn't there, but hopefully those seasons will make it on DVD.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 11:08 am

I still like it. I think each era has its merits.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 11:14 am

I agree its hit or miss, right now its on the miss.....
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40527

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 12:04 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
And besides, a young Julia Louis-Dreyfus is EXTREMELY hot.

She's still EXTREMELY hot !
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 12:17 pm

I know. Does anyone still watch SNL? 253444
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37865

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 1:46 pm

The last time I watched SNL with any sort of regularity, Phil Hartman (R.I.P.) was still a regular cast member.

Nowadays I'll watch a sketch here and there but I couldn't even tell you who the players are anymore.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:21 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
and stuck in the middle were tons of lame semi-known comedians like ...Sarah Silverman.
pfffttt... Sarah is funny as hell. i always dvr her comedy central show.

Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:23 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
The worst seasons I've seen were '93-'95. It was a weird mix of the early 90s cast that was getting phased out, debuts of the cast members that would later become popular in the late 90s and stuck in the middle were tons of lame semi-known comedians like Jay Mohr, Laura Kightlinger, Janeane Garofalo, Sarah Silverman, Chris Elliott and Michael McKean.

You callin' Michael McKean lame?! Mad
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:29 pm

mc666 wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:
and stuck in the middle were tons of lame semi-known comedians like ...Sarah Silverman.

Yea she is pretty funny. My friend was showing me her tv show that she had for a while on Comedy Central. I think one of the episodes was about farting but not from the usual area lol

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:56 pm

mc666 wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:

I don't like her show but did you ever see her on SNL?

Schbopo wrote:

He's still living off Spinal Tap, the only cool thing he's ever done. Sorry. Sad
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 4:24 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:

I don't like her show but did you ever see her on SNL?

Schbopo wrote:

He's still living off Spinal Tap, the only cool thing he's ever done. Sorry. Sad

No I havent seen her on SNL. and I can't believe you just said that about Michael McKean!!! You bastard! Does anyone still watch SNL? Lol

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 5:40 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:

Schbopo wrote:

You've obviously never watched Laverne and Shirley. He was awesome on that.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:28 am

I haven't watched it with any sort of regularity for years. Like Freddy, it was probably back when Phil Hartman and Chris Farley were still alive. I'll usually tune in when they put together some 'prime time' specials though, 'cause that's pretty much the best material.

Ferral's Bush and Fey's Palin impressions were funny. I liked those and 'Celebrity Jeopardy'. Does anyone still watch SNL? 201269

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 11:18 am

I watch it weekly. It's just a habit I've had for many many years. I have liked all the versions of the show to varying degrees.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 11:24 am

It's been total crap for the last 5 years or so. But I always loved SNL and during the late 80's and 90's it was great and I almost never missed it. The Payton Manning episode was great and so I thought I'd give it another try in the weeks following...pathetic. They need a serious talent recruiter to go out and find the future Adam Sandlers, Chris Farleys, Dana Carvey and Mike Myers...you name it.

Last edited by T-Roy on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 11:28 am

Quote :
I watch it weekly. It's just a habit I've had for many many years.

That's the way I treat 'The Simpsons'. It's just a habit anymore. There have been plenty of low points over the last few years, but I can usually find something that gives me a chuckle.

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Best years were when Steve Martin was on, hands down. There have been other funny ones, Farley was good but the early stuff through the mid 80's it had more edge.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 1:39 pm

mc666 wrote:
Addy wrote:

This is me as well.When Myers,Farley and Carvey were on there it was great.I enjoyed some of the stuff Ferrell and Cheri O'Teri did but it was pretty hit or miss by then.I never watch it nowadays.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26439

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 2:11 pm

I watch it occasionally.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone still watch SNL?   Does anyone still watch SNL? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does anyone still watch SNL?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next