Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vulgar display of power

Go down 
+18
Fat Freddy
manny
Mglaffas81
stevegarveyfan
the sentinel
Rex
bgast1
Schbopo
nevermore
troublemagnet
ryanmetalman
Temple of Blood
MetalRob331
7thSaviour
Eyesore
Troublezone
Gilbert
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Vulgar display of power - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 8:27 am

My favorite Pantera album, loved it and I still love it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 9:45 am

Loved COWBOYS FROM HELL and dug VULGAR DISPLAY as well, but that was where I got off the bandwagon with this band. Every record after V.D.O.P. seemed to be going out of its way to be screamier and more abrasive than the one before it, and that wasn't my trip. By the time GREAT SOUTHERN TRENDKILL rolled around I was like "Um, sorry guys, I'm just not angry enough for this sort of thing"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 10:47 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Loved COWBOYS FROM HELL and dug VULGAR DISPLAY as well, but that was where I got off the bandwagon with this band. Every record after V.D.O.P. seemed to be going out of its way to be screamier and more abrasive than the one before it, and that wasn't my trip. By the time GREAT SOUTHERN TRENDKILL rolled around I was like "Um, sorry guys, I'm just not angry enough for this sort of thing"

Same here. After Vulgar Display, they just weren't the same.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 10:48 am

I still like them after 'Vulgar' even thou I felt Phil's lyrics got dumber as they progressed.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 12:02 pm

XYZ wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Agreed!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 12:09 pm

7thSaviour wrote:
XYZ wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Agreed!

Yea, pretty much the same applies for me as well. Musically they were fine, but Phil's tough guy image/lyrics and singing style drug them down. Although I do like the last album Reinventing the Steel.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 1:35 pm

Vulgar was the last album to have a majority collection of good songs whereas the later stuff only had a few quality songs from each album and crammed with filler.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 5:53 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Vulgar was the last album to have a majority collection of good songs whereas the later stuff only had a few quality songs from each album and crammed with filler.
Agreed! Phil went downhill after that.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 7:20 pm

7thSaviour wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

The very reason I never got Great Southern Trendkillers and quickly got rid of the follow up. Also a rason I rarely listen to Far Beyond Driven (about 4-5 good songs). CFH was a great album all the way through with Phil's combination of harsh vocals with falsetto and singing. Vulgar is a fine album as well but the less Phil actually sung the worse they got though Dimebag's and Vinnie's playing were always superb.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 9:23 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
7thSaviour wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

The very reason I never got Great Southern Trendkillers and quickly got rid of the follow up. Also a rason I rarely listen to Far Beyond Driven (about 4-5 good songs). CFH was a great album all the way through with Phil's combination of harsh vocals with falsetto and singing. Vulgar is a fine album as well but the less Phil actually sung the worse they got though Dimebag's and Vinnie's playing were always superb.

I think Dimebag encouraged Phil to sing but Phil wanted to be a tough guy... The reason Phil was hired in Pantera was his ability to sing not bark but somewhere down the line Phil started calling the shots.
Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 9:32 pm

If you think about it, Phil displayed multiple singing/vocal types during his career. Early on it was glamtera to CFH which has an insanely scary resemblance to the vocals from Exhorder. VDoP its more angrier, more shouty. FBD he sings a bit more but is still angry. TGSTK is him at his angriest! (which is cool; but then again i'm pretty young and filled with nitroglycerne and energy drinks), but he also has a bluesy kinda voice like on "Floods".
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 11:18 am

Phil has talent but he's wasted it lately.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vulgar display of power
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2