Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vulgar display of power

Go down 
+18
Fat Freddy
manny
Mglaffas81
stevegarveyfan
the sentinel
Rex
bgast1
Schbopo
nevermore
troublemagnet
ryanmetalman
Temple of Blood
MetalRob331
7thSaviour
Eyesore
Troublezone
Gilbert
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Vulgar display of power Empty
PostSubject: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 5:50 am

I spinned it today for the first time in over a decade. What an album. It brings back so many souvenirs. The pantera t-shirts era...

Man, i've grown old.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 11:55 am

I don't think it has aged as well as CFH but it was a heavy album with some good tunes.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 11:58 am

LOVE this album. It was easily the heaviest thing I'd ever listened to and liked at the time. And it was the 69th CD I ever bought. Haha. I remember that because 69 is a funny number as a teen. Haha.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 12:37 pm

VDOP 10/10
CFH 9.5/10
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 12:56 pm

Vulgar is an amazing album and Hollow is still my favorite song by Pantera.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 12:59 pm

7thSaviour wrote:
VDOP 10/10
CFH 9.5/10

CFH 10/10

Vulgar 8/10
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 1:01 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I don't think it has aged as well as CFH but it was a heavy album with some good tunes.

Agreed.

The production is one of the best things about it. Crushing for that time it was released!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 1:03 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Agreed.

The production is one of the best things about it. Crushing for that time it was released!

I just think there is some filler on it unlike CFH which was consistant all the way through.
Back to top Go down
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

Number of posts : 274

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 1:03 pm

I loved Vulgar Display of Power. Though I must echo some of the others here and say that I dig Cowboys From Hell even more...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 1:06 pm

ryanmetalman wrote:
I loved Vulgar Display of Power. Though I must echo some of the others here and say that I dig Cowboys From Hell even more...

CFH had a perfect mix of actual power metal singing mixed with fun, heavy riffs. Vulgar was more hardcore inspired vocals and the riffs were heavy but a little less memorable imo.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Cowboys is definitely the better of the 2. That said,Vulgar is a good release and Hollow is probably the best song on it.
Back to top Go down
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Utter Garbage. "Power Metal" was pretty good, better than them trying to rip off "Slaughter in the Vatican".
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 5:29 pm

Great album but CFH is better.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 5:30 pm

It's a good album, and "Walk" was the song that got me into them, but like most people I prefer Cowboys From Hell or even Far Beyond Driven.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 6:26 pm

troublemagnet wrote:
Utter Garbage. "Power Metal" was pretty good, better than them trying to rip off "Slaughter in the Vatican".
Expected response. I'm no Exhorder expert, but nothing I've ever heard from them sounds like Pantera, at least not to warrant all the claims of Pantera ripping them off. In fact, Slaughter In The Vatican is way too thrashy to even be compared to Vulgar Display. And The Law, funnily enough, came out the same year as Vulgar Display.

The only real similarity, in my opinion, is in the vocals.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 6:59 pm

Some people judge music solely on the vocals, so you can see why those allegation still persist.
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Eyesore wrote:
LOVE this album. It was easily the heaviest thing I'd ever listened to and liked at the time. And it was the 69th CD I ever bought. Haha. I remember that because 69 is a funny number as a teen. Haha.

I graduated from high school in 1969. Vulgar display of power 387733
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 7:25 pm

bgast1 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I graduated from high school in 1969. Vulgar display of power 387733
Jeez. I was six from the tadpole stage in 1969.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 7:26 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Some people judge music solely on the vocals, so you can see why those allegation still persist.
But are they justified? Phil was partially singing that way when Exhorder put out their first demo.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
But are they justified? Phil was partially singing that way when Exhorder put out their first demo.

I think the allegation is true for the vocals/lyrics but not any of the rest of the music.

It's not like Halford wasn't emulating Robert Plant and Ian Gillan so what is wrong with having strong influences, especially in the earlier years? The band as a whole is not a carbon-copy of EXHORDER, no matter how you slice it.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 8:00 pm

Actually if I remember right, Phil stated at that time that he was an Exhorder die-hard fan and wanted Pantera to sound like them and that he'd even sing for Exhorder if offered. So that's probably where the Exhorder comparison comes from and still looms.

But I love Vulgar. It floored me when I heard it the first time.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 8:22 pm

Vulgar is one of the few Pantera albums I consistently go back to and enjoy immensely!!!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 8:29 pm

Quote :
The only real similarity, in my opinion, is in the vocals.

I agree... because Dimebag was a much more dynamic and versitile player than the Exhorder guys.
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 12:29 am

Pantera always seemed too 'new school' for me. I could have misjudged, but a lot of my prejudices from college still haunt me, and I can't make myself listen to those guys.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 5:15 am

I like Pantera - However, Cowboys From Hell is easily their best album. Perfect mix of melodic vocal lines and catchy delivery, with bonecrushing riffs and some nice solo's. It features some of my favourite Pantera songs including the title track and "Cemetary Gates". Vulgar Display of Power is a great record as well, but doesn't really have the same greatness as Cowboys. Still, two very good albums. That's all the Pantera I need, I have no interest in the others, although I do have a coupla' songs. Drag The Waters and 5 Minutes Alone are good songs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vulgar display of power   Vulgar display of power Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vulgar display of power
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next