Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....

Go down 
+19
MetalGuy71
Black Coffee
Schbopo
JDC
metalken
Jesusandmetal23
ultmetal
SAHB Healer
TheButcher
James B.
Metal Misfit
stevegarveyfan
manny
Stender
Fat Freddy
T-Roy
Temple of Blood
kmorg
Dave the Boss
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 12:05 pm

Had heard of Ethel the Frog but never heard a song. Don't think i've missed much.
Tokyo Blade though, is awesome and needs more recognition.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 12:07 pm

31. Sparta - Tonight
"Tonight" 7" single

Sparta was one of those bands that never got round to releasing a full length LP, unfortunately. They only recorded two 7" singles and a track for a compilation LP. Thankfully the stuff they did release was great: real dirty heavy rock that is reminiscent of early Motörhead with a dash of Judas Priest. The B-side, Angel of Death, is just as strong as the A-side if you ask me. It's too bad they never did an album, as this single definitely showed that these guys could write good songs and could play loud!

30. Blitzkrieg - Blitzkrieg
"Buried Alive" 7" single

I have to admit I've never been much of a Blitzkrieg fan, but boy does this song kick ass! Before singer Brian Ross left Blitzkrieg to join one of the finest NWoBHM bands ever, he sang in Blitzkrieg (he would reform Blitzkrieg in the mid to late 80s if I remember correctly). Ross has one hell of a voice, one of the best NWoBHM singers if you ask me. That said, his vocals aren't as good as the stuff he did for that "other band," but it's still great. The riffs are heavy and dirty, the rhythm section is spot on and the songwriting is extremely solid. What more could you ask for?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 12:14 pm

I like him better in Blitzkrieg overall. He actually sang in two other bands.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 7:21 am

In three other bands actually: Lone Wolf, Satan and Avenger. I'd like to hear more opinions on the stuff I've posted so far though! Manny? Ult? Kmorg? Locky? Razz
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 8:10 am

I have actually liked everything you have posted, and you are making me familiar with alot of bands that I have been completely unfamiliar with, so this has been a metal eduction for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Didn't know about Lone Wolf. You're making me feel like a beginner. Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 591800
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 7:58 am

Glad you're enjoying it manny. There's more good stuff on the way.

Haha, well, I know a fair bit about the whole NWoBHM, but I'm far from a walking encyclopedia or anything. I read plenty of "cult" metal messageboards, and every single time I'm amazed at how much stuff I've never heard of.

Next two songs will be up later today.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 10:03 am

Damn it, I made a huge write up on both songs before my browser crashed, so here's the shorter version:

29. Quartz - Stand Up and Fight

"Stand Up and Fight" LP

Stand Up and Fight is the first track on Quartz's third LP, and is definitely the best one. The song opens with a heavy-as-hell riff, and never lets down (although I have to admit I'm not that fond of the chorus). Stand Up and Fight is definitely their best LP, and the title track off of it is their best song. Grade A NWoBHM!

28. Scarab - Poltergeist
"Poltergeist" 7" single

Of the two NWoBHM bands named Scarab, the one that did the Poltergeist single in 1984 was by far the best one. The song kicks off with a sample (which is from the movie Poltergeist, I assume. Never actually saw the film), before the guitars jump in and deliver an extremely heavy riff, that wouldn't have been out of place on the first two Slayer LPs. Scarab's sound is kind of a proto-power/thrash sound, albeit with a progressive edge. The progressive parts are more prominent as the song goes on actually, as it seems fairly basic when it starts. The vocals aren't extremely good or commanding, but they work. The heavy guitars are what makes this song so good.

On a side note, Scarab reformed in 2008 and released a 10" vinyl EP with three new recordings in 2009 on the infamous Miskatonic Foundation record label. Although I've only heard samples of this, it all sounded amazing. Metal the way it's meant to be played! Unfortunately they split up again a couple of weeks ago, but Miskatonic is still supposed to be releasing a CD with demo tracks, and there's also a video coming out of the song The Gathering & I, which is supposed to sound like a mix of Trouble and Maiden (sounds good eh?). I believe that track and another were also supposed to be released on 7" vinyl, but I have no idea if that'll still happen. You can find some new stuff off of the A Soul for a Soul 10" EP on their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/scarab-nwobhm.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 12:34 pm

Quartz held me back in the vocals. Not even sure what, just one of those things. Never heard Scarab reformed, might have to track that down.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 6:08 am

Update coming later today. It'll be two or three songs again.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 6:12 am

That Quartz track was very cool, I was always curious to check them out since I know Tony Iommi produced one of their albums.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 6:57 am

27. Saxon - And the Bands played on
"Denim and Leather" LP

They had to show up sooner or later: one of the most well known NWoBHM bands, Saxon. It was pretty hard deciding which Saxon track would be featured on the list, since they have a ton of classic songs, but in the end I just had to go for And the Bands played on. Everything about this song is just perfect: powerful commanding vocals, catchy lead parts, heavy riffs and a solid as hell rhythm section. There's not a whole lot to say here. It's Saxon!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 11:02 am

Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 320592 The trooness is almost complete.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 12:08 pm

Great Saxon tune and one of the many songs they have written in tribute to themselves.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 6:31 am

26. Tank - Heavy Artillery
"Filth Hounds of Hades" LP

Tank has always been one of my favorite NWoBHM bands, and Heavy Artillery is one of their catchiest songs. More infectious than aids and heavier than a sledgehammer, Tank delivered great LP after great LP back in the 80s. Everything they did was gold. Singer Algy Ward's roar is like a mix of Lemmy's and Gene Simmon's vocals, and those heavy as hell riffs easily could've come out of Fast Eddie's playbook. Heavy Artillery simply rocks, there's no doubt about it. Starting with their third LP, Tank would move away from the Motörhead-ish sound of their early recordings and started playing a slightly more epic brand of heavy metal, that was still amazing nonetheless. I can urge everyone to check out everything Tank has released during the 1980s, starting with their debut album Filth Hounds of Hades. Tank rules!

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 7:55 am

Based on your posting and the video you included I will have to check out more of Tank's work, I am only familiar with one tune by this band.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 10:08 am

You'll like it manny. I can't imagine anyone that likes their metal loud, rockin' and dirty, albeit with a sense of melody, not digging Tank.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 11:58 am

I love the music but the vocals leave me cold. I've tried a couple times to get into these guys and just couldn't.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:43 am

25. A II Z - I'm the One Who Loves You
"I'm the One Who Loves You" 7" single

A II Z were one of the finest pop-sounding NWoBHM bands out there imo. They owe a lot of their sound (especially on this song) to Bonnet-era Rainbow, and this song could've come straight out of the songwriting library of Russ Ballard (famous for writing Since You Been Gone, I Surrender, Riding with the Angels etc.). The song isn't really heavy, but it's pretty much the definition of catchy! Granted, the songwriting isn't too complex, but who needs complexity when you've got hooks the size of Jupiter? From the opening riff to the last part the chorus is repeated, I'm the One Who Loves You is just a killer song.

Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:49 am

Since we're halfway, time for a short recap:

50. Shy - Tonight
49. Hollow Ground - Fight with the Devil
48. Jaguar - Backstreet Woman
47. Black Axe - Red Lights
46. Def Leppard - Wasted
45. Dark Star - Lady of Mars
44. Fist - Name, Rank & Serial Number
43. Marquis de Sade - Somewhere Up in the Mountains
42. Girl - My Number
41. Crucifixion - The Fox
40. Goldsmith - Life is Killing Me
39. Holocaust - Heavy Metal Mania
38. Raven - Don't Need Your Money
37. Demon - One Helluva Night
36. Gaskin - I'm No Fool
35. Samson - Riding with the Angels
34. Soldier - Sheralee
33. Ethel the Frog - Fight Back
32. Tokyo Blade - Night of the Blade
31. Sparta - Tonight
30. Blitzkrieg - Blitzkrieg
29. Quartz - Stand Up and Fight
28. Scarab - Poltergeist
27. Saxon - And the Bands played on
26. Tank - Heavy Artillery
25. A II Z - I'm the One Who Loves You
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:57 am

I don't not remember which A II Z song is on my comp CD of NWOBHM that was put together by Lars Ulrich and Metal Blade many ears ago but I did like the tune on the CD. I think it maybe the same song you posted and you are right it sounds very influenced by Bonnet/Turner Rainbow era.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 11:40 pm

So far, I have been introduced to nine new bands that I have never even heard of, much less heard, so this thread has been a very pleasant experience. Enjoying it all so far.

On a side note, I would have gone with 'Blood, Guts, and Beer' from Tank. That was a theme song for myself and a couple buddies after the record came out.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 2:44 am

My favorite songs from Quartz were slightly pre-NWOBHM I think, maybe about 1977. They were just a great rock band then. "Satan's Saranade" was a good song.
Speaking of evil bands, Demon was an interesting one. Post NWOBHM they did some melodic proggy stuff that was actually pretty good. "Life on The Wire" is a song I remember.
The quirky melodic stuff is my favorite NWOBHM. Tank was another good one. Songs about war all the time. I think Bal-Sagoth kind of copped their concept from Tank.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 12:15 pm

metalken wrote:
So far, I have been introduced to nine new bands that I have never even heard of, much less heard, so this thread has been a very pleasant experience. Enjoying it all so far.

On a side note, I would have gone with 'Blood, Guts, and Beer' from Tank. That was a theme song for myself and a couple buddies after the record came out.

Glad you're enjoying it!

I had a pretty hard time choosing the Tank song. Blood, Guts and Beer, Walking Barefoot over Glass, Just like Something from Hell, When all Hell freezes over, This Means War etc. etc. are all just classic songs. Tank rules!

The next review will be up later tonight. The few big names that are left will get covered pretty soon...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 12:38 pm

Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 11840 I've loved this thread and it's restored my hope in the youth of today. Well, almost.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next