Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....

Go down 
+19
MetalGuy71
Black Coffee
Schbopo
JDC
metalken
Jesusandmetal23
ultmetal
SAHB Healer
TheButcher
James B.
Metal Misfit
stevegarveyfan
manny
Stender
Fat Freddy
T-Roy
Temple of Blood
kmorg
Dave the Boss
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 9:08 am

I've been busy the last couple of days, so sorry it took a while to update this thread.

41. Crucifixion - The Fox
"The Fox" 7" single

Another relatively obscure NWoBHM gem, The Fox was Essex rockers' Crucifixion first commitment to vinyl, released in 1980. After The Fox these guys did another single, a demo tape, and finally released a 12" EP called Green Eyes in 1984. Crucifixion is another one of those bands with a pretty dirty rock 'n' roll sound, mixing the best of Motörhead with a dash of AC/DC. Although they were not quite as heavy as Venom, they definitely beat Jaguar in terms of heaviness. The solos are fantastic, and the opening riff could've come straight off of Powerage. If you like your metal heavy, uptempo, and dirty, The Fox should be straight up your alley.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 11:41 am

Never even heard of them. Good song.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 10:47 am

40. Goldsmith - Life Is Killing Me
"Life Is Killing Me" 7"

Up next is Goldsmith, yet another band that never got round to releasing an LP. Goldsmith was formed after Perry Hodder quit Bitches Sin (who will be featured later on in the list) in 1981, and split up in 1983. During their rather short tenure they only released a single and a demo tape. Life Is Killing Me is the A-side of their only single. This song has everything one could want from a NWoBHM track: cool guitar harmonies, catchy riffs, laidback vocals, great solos, and hooks to die for. Although sister band Bitches Sin were better, Goldsmith were a great heavy rock band that should've made it bigger.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 12:58 pm

Are you really 19?
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 9:15 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
manny wrote:
Killer list, Dave the Boss.

Glad you're enjoying it! The best has yet to come though...

43. Marquis de Sade - Somewhere up in the Mountains
"Somewhere up in the Mountains/Black Angel" 7" single

Sounds a touch new wavish. Has this ever been covered or is this a cover? I swear I've heard this song before.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 9:31 pm

I am havin fun with this thread, lots of interesting tunez
Thanks tons

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 2:11 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Are you really 19?

My passport says so, so I guess... Razz

Metal Misfit wrote:
Dave the Boss wrote:
manny wrote:
Killer list, Dave the Boss.

Glad you're enjoying it! The best has yet to come though...

43. Marquis de Sade - Somewhere up in the Mountains
"Somewhere up in the Mountains/Black Angel" 7" single

Sounds a touch new wavish. Has this ever been covered or is this a cover? I swear I've heard this song before.

This is definitely an original, and as far as I know it's never been covered. It's pretty famous among NWoBHM fans, but it's not exactly a well known song.

The next song will be up later tonight.
Back to top Go down
TheButcher
Metal novice
Metal novice
TheButcher

Number of posts : 14

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 2:18 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
Most of my list is obscure stuff, although the usual suspects will show up sooner or later.

48. Jaguar - Back Street Woman
"Back Street Woman" 7" single

Ah yes, the great Jaguar, another great, semi-obscure NWoBHM band. These guys were more of a proto-thrash band, kinda in the vein of Motörhead. Although I have to admit the vocals are pretty weak on this song, and it's very basic musically, it's still a scorcher of a track. The drums and guitars actually remind me of Exciter, while the vocals are very typical of the NWoBHM. Seeing as this was released in 1981, this was pretty damn heavy and quite fast for its time. It's too bad the stuff they did after their debut LP Power Games (released in 1983) ranged from mediocre to downright awful, but oh well. Jaguar's early stuff is prime NWoBHM, and is recommended listening for everyone into Motörhead and Venom.

Awesome song!

Jaguar are, in my opinion, one of the best band of the rough side of nwobhm, with Tysondog, Tank and Raven.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fallenfuckingangels
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 9:20 am

I love Jaguar. Power Games is a classic LP. I like Tank better though.

39. Holocaust - Heavy Metal Mania
"The Nightcomers" LP

And now for one of the more established bands, Edinburgh's Holocaust. They guys have released 7 studio albums since 1977 (not a whole lot, I know), and are still going strong. Their absolute masterpiece is widely considered to be The Nightcomers, their debut LP. Holocaust's sound is, in a way, more punkish than many other NWoBHM bands, especially in the vocal department. Heavy Metal Mania is one of those anthem songs that you won't get out of your head. Kicking off with a great Thin Lizzy-sounding guitar lead, the song quickly turns into a headbanging midtempo heavy metal rocker. An amazing song from an amazing band.

Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 7:01 pm

some White Spirit maybe?
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Perhaps... I'm still pondering on my top ten, haha.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 2:24 pm

I'm waiting on Raven, Diamond Head, Tygers of Pan Tang, Blitzkrieg, Saxon, Tokyo Blade, Venom, Fastway, Gaskin, Samson and Girlschool. These are the bands I am familiar with.

I have a few Tank albums on vinyl, but I just haven't spun them enough to become really familiar with them.

Always been curious about Sweet Savage and Jaguar, though I own nothing by either of them.

I'm assuming that Iron Maiden will make an appearance as well, since they are probably the biggest band to come out of this scene.

Keep the list coming.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 11:21 am

Most of those bands will show up sooner or later. I'm not sure if Tygers of Pan Tang will be in there though, since there's so much awesome NWoBHM out there. Never was much of a Fastway fan though.

Maiden will definitely be in the list, but I'm not sure if they'll make the top ten. The song that'll be featured is an unusual one though, haha.

Next song will be up tonight.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 12:20 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
Most of those bands will show up sooner or later. I'm not sure if Tygers of Pan Tang will be in there though, since there's so much awesome NWoBHM out there. Never was much of a Fastway fan though.

Maiden will definitely be in the list, but I'm not sure if they'll make the top ten. The song that'll be featured is an unusual one though, haha.

Next song will be up tonight.

And RAVEN? headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 12:32 pm

Not a Fastway fan? Shame.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 8:50 am

38. Raven - Dont't Need Your Money
"Don't Need Your Money" 7" single, "Rock Until You Drop" LP

Unfortunately my knowledge of this classic band is fairly limited, as I'm only really familiar with their first LP, the classic Rock Until You Drop. This LP features one of the NWoBHM finest moment's if you ask me, as Don't Need Your Money is an amazing song in the vein of Motörhead (although the vocals aren't as raw as Lemmy's). There's not a whole lot to say here: this is just NWoBHM at its finest. Another toetapping heavy rock classic.

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 6:42 am

I'm so behind on this thread. Will try and catch up soon.

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 am

kmorg wrote:
I'm so behind on this thread. Will try and catch up soon.

I know,

I'm just waiting for "Helen of Troy" from Incubus Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 8:43 am

How about "Hideaway" from little-known band Virtue?
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 12:08 pm

Incubus won't be in the list. Virtue will be, but I have no idea which song. Hideaway is definitely an option though.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:39 pm

37. Demon - One Helluva Night
"Night of the Demon" LP

Here I had a really had time which song to pick, but eventually I chose the classic One Helluva Night from their debut album. Although most people know them through Blind Guardian's cover of one of their songs, these guys are still going strong more than thirty years later, so kudos to them. Demon were always more of a hard rock band than a real heavy metal band, and are not as rough and dirty sounding like Tank, Raven or Jaguar. Nevertheless, they were great. Dave Hill has a perfect voice for heavy rock music, and the music just plain boogies. Grade A NWoBHM if you ask me!

Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 5:40 am

36. Gaskin - I'm No Fool
"I'm No Fool" 7" single, "End of the World" LP

Next up is Gaskin, with the classic I'm No Fool. So far Gaskin is probably one of the most prolific bands featured so far, as they've released three albums and are still active as of 2010. There's actually not a whole lot to say about I'm No Fool, it's just extremely solid and hard rockin' NWoBHM, not unlike a slightly more polished, less dirty and slower Motörhead. I can't imagine anyone not liking this classic track.

35. Samson - Riding with the Angels

"Shock Tactics" LP

Another rather prolific band, guitarist Paul Samson's band Samson biggest claim to fame is having featured a certain Bruce Dickinson (still known as Bruce Bruce here) before he went on to sing for some other band... can't remember their name. Anyway, this is a cover of a Russ Ballard track, and although their is a bit of that typical Ballard sound to it, this is definitely a Samson song now. It's uptempo, heavy, dirty and features some amazing vocals. Samson's guitar solo featured around 2:30 is pretty sweet, and he delivers some heavy riffs as well. I have to admit I like Bruce's vocals better here than what he did with that "other band," as he has more of a heavy rock approach here. So all in all Riding with the Angels is a great track from an awesome LP.

34. Soldier - Sheralee
"Sheralee" 7" single

One of my favorite NWoBHM singles of all time! Soldier were a great band that only got round to releasing a (rather mediocre) full length in 2004. Nevertheless, their early recordings are amazing. The Sheralee 7" features two amazing tracks in the title track and Force, but I like the A-side song just a bit better. It's another great hard rocking track, that I can't imagine any fan of NWoBHM not absolutely loving. The vocals are heartfelt, the riffs are catchy, the solo around the 3:10 mark is great and fits the song really well, and the rhythm section is top notch. Classic NWoBHM, all the way through.

I'll have some more songs up later today. Sorry it took a while.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 5:44 am

Great stuff, I have that Gaskin song on that New Wave of British Metal comp that Lars help put together several years ago.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 5:49 am

Never had it, but it looks like a pretty sweet compilation. Some of the bands on there will also be in the list.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 8:19 am

33. Ethel the Frog - Fight Back
"Ethel the Frog" LP

Ethel the Frog's selftitled debut LP is considered a classic NWoBHM disc by many connaisseurs. Although I like it a lot, I wouldn't quite consider it a classic. However, the track Fight Back is a true NWoBHM classic. Ok, the vocals may not be amazing, and the songwriting isn't extremely original, but it's just so damn catchy! This track is very much in the vein of UFO and Deep Purple. The rest of the LP is more quirky than this song (like Beatles cover Eleanor Rigby).

32. Tokyo Blade - Night of the Blade
"Night of the Blade" LP

Tokyo Blade's Night of the Blade is their third full length album, released in 1984, and is in my opinion the finest record these guys ever did. Tokyo Blade were among the bigger NWoBHM bands, as they had several records released in Roadrunner in the 1980s, and are still playing to this day. So what's so great about Night of the Blade? Everything! Singer Vic Wright has a killer voice, and guitarists John Wiggins and Andy Boulton definitely deliver the goods. The rhythm section isn't incredibly special, but both the bassist and drummer are decent. The riffs are extremely catchy and pretty complicated, and the chorus is just too infectious. Night of the Blade rocks!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next