Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....

Go down 
+19
MetalGuy71
Black Coffee
Schbopo
JDC
metalken
Jesusandmetal23
ultmetal
SAHB Healer
TheButcher
James B.
Metal Misfit
stevegarveyfan
manny
Stender
Fat Freddy
T-Roy
Temple of Blood
kmorg
Dave the Boss
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 9:17 pm

Those two last tunes where very cool, especially the Blind Fury song, had no idea about the history of the band.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 10:53 am

14. Bitches Sin – Always Ready (for Love)
“Always Ready (for Love)” 7” single

Unlike bands like Bashfully Alley and Virtue, Bitches Sin actually released two LPs during their original run, and wrote several classic songs. Just listen to Ice Angels! I bet you if Priest or Maiden wrote that song it would’ve been a hit. However, their finest song is by far Always Ready (for Love), the A-side track on their first single. It’s simple and straightforward as all hell, the lyrics are very much in the Charlotte the Harlot mold, and the singing isn’t anything special. So why is this such a great song? For the same reason as Running Blind is a classic tune: it’s just extremely catchy. It’s simply straightforward toe tapping at its finest. Believe it!

Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 3:29 pm

And another 'un:

13. Angel Witch – Angel Witch
“Angel Witch” LP

Up next is the band Angel Witch… with the song Angel Witch… from the album Angel Witch. Original huh? Well, who needs originality when you’ve got one of the most classic heavy metal intros ever written, and one of the infectious choruses in the whole history of metal? I’m sure most people already know this one, since the Angel Witch debut is widely regarded as one of the classics of the NWoBHM, and one of the best debut albums in metal history. Too bad their albums after their first one were pretty substandard, but the early demos, singles and LP were all simply astounding. Although the full length album isn’t nearly as heavy as the demos featured on the Sinister History compilation disc (just listen to The Night is Calling… they’re giving Black Sabbath a run for their money there!), the quality is just amazing. Every single song on this album is a classic, just listen to Angel of Death (which features an amazing widely copied riff), Confused, White Witch etc. etc. etc. Every single self respecting metal fan simply needs a copy of this. But where was I? Oh yeah, the song Angel Witch. It’s just a classic track, that’s all that needs to be said.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 6:13 pm

Bitche's Sin was very cool track, just fun rock track.

I only have Angel Witch's self titled album and I like it alot. It is a little dated but it still sounds good to my ears and Dave I didnot care for their follow up albums either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Yeah, they burned up the creative juices on the S/T but man they did one great album.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 7:34 am

12. Arc – War of the Ring
"War of the Ring” 7” single

Despite releasing only two singles, Arc is another one of those bands that is pretty famous in the underground scene. Although their debut single Tribute was nothing special, their second single was a masterpiece. Especially the A-side track, the majestic War of the Ring. Featuring an almost Saint Vitus-like stomp with fantasy lyrics (based on Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings, obviously) and an amazing vocalist, it’s easy to see why many people regard this song as a classic of the NWoBHM. Just listen to that amazing chorus, and those riffs… those riffs! The B-side isn’t quite as good as the title track, but it’s still a fine song. It’s just that it’s up against some pretty stiff competition. War of the Ring is epic doom metal before there was epic doom metal, and therefore deserves the number twelve spot in this list.

Back to top Go down
JDC
Metal novice
Metal novice
JDC

Number of posts : 74

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 4:00 pm

That Angel Witch song is the only one I like by them, but it's a great song. That and "Suffer", which I think is a b-side.

Great thread, keep 'em coming!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 6:01 pm

After listening to that Arc song, I wonder why they only released two singles?
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 6:07 am

Wow, I haven't checked out this thread for ages Very Happy

That ARC song is amazing!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 8:34 am

TheNazgul wrote:
After listening to that Arc song, I wonder why they only released two singles?

Don't know the whole story behind the band, but I believe that the brains behind the band, the Whitbread brothers, became born again Christians in the mid 80s and wanted to play other music or something like that. It's too bad, because Arc had some amazing stuff. I have a dub of an Arc live tape, and it's one of the heaviest things I've ever heard. Good stuff.

11. Bleak House – Rainbow Warrior
"Rainbow Warrior” 7” single

Wow, that intro sounds kinda familiar, doesn’t it? Well, remember this band Metallica? Yeah? Remember the song Welcome Home (Sanitarium)? Remember the intro? They nicked it from this song, Bleak House’s Rainbow Warrior, and it’s easy to see why. It’s just too damn epic. But when you think you’ve already heard the best part of the song, the electric guitars kick in, and the song only gets better and better. The lyrics are pretty good as well, but let’s be honest, who cares about lyrics when you’ve got an acoustic intro that’s so good that one of the most famous metal bands in the world stole it? Am I right or am I right? Oh well, Bleak House were simply a great band, and if you like Rainbow Warrior I recommend you to pick up the Suspended Animation CD that was recently released by an American label, as it features all their studio stuff from the 1980s and a live gig. Good stuff.

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 8:36 am

Wow, that was a blatant rip-off on Metallica's part, wasn't it? Very Happy

Another GREAT song also!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 8:40 am

kmorg wrote:
Wow, that was a blatant rip-off on Metallica's part, wasn't it? Very Happy

Another GREAT song also!

Haha, yeah, that one is just a little too obvious. lol! I prefer the Bleak House song though. Rainbow Warrior is one of my all time favorite songs, hence its number eleven place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 12:42 pm

I thought i'd heard that Metallica had permission to do that rip off but now I can't find it anywhere. Might've been a different song.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 7:24 pm

Never heard that, but it's possible.

10. Saracen – Heroes, Saints and Fools
“Heroes, Saints and Fools” LP

Let’s kick off the top ten with one of my all time favorite tracks, the title track on Saracen’s debut album. Saracen were hardly a standard band, as their sound was definitely more prog rock than heavy metal (although they do have some very hard rocking moments). Heroes, Saints and Fools is a classic LP, and the title track is by far the single best song on that album. It’s just too hard to describe it: it’s an experience. I know that sounds very pretentious, but it’s just that good! From the organ intro to the different vocalists to the brilliant guitar solos, this song is just seven minutes of pure bliss. Simply put, you just need to hear this.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 8:08 pm

Very very cool song Dave the Boss, so far (excluding some classics) this is the best song so far you have posted.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 11:03 pm

Saracen was derided as being the Styx/Queen of the NWOBHM, but in retrospect they were one of the most advanced Prog Metal bands in the world at that time. They could bring the metal too when they wanted ("Ready To Fly" was a flat out metal song, for example) Their classic "We Have Arrived" shows up on NWOBHM comps every now and again. Way ahead of their time. Great pick!
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 11:13 pm

The best choice for Witchfinder General is obviously "Satan's Children", but I'll forgive you this once.

Loving this list. I know only a small handful of these songs, so it's great to hear some new stuff.
Back to top Go down
Black Coffee
Metal student
Metal student
Black Coffee

Number of posts : 119

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 12:03 am

Dave, thanks for putting this thread up. Lots of old favorites I haven't listened to in ages, and a couple bands I've added to my "must track down list"

Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 11840
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 1:55 am

Black Coffee wrote:
Dave, thanks for putting this thread up. Lots of old favorites I haven't listened to in ages, and a couple bands I've added to my "must track down list"

+1

I thought I'd heard it all, but no! You might have to help us track down some of these. Some awesome stuff I've never heard before.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 7:24 am

Oh sure, no problem. You can PM me requests, and I'll see what I can do.

9. Praying Mantis – Children of the Earth
“Time Tells No Lies” LP

Praying Mantis are one of my all time favorite bands. They were one of the first English bands to combine hard rocking guitars with pop hooks and vocal harmonies, so let’s say Thin Lizzy meets UFO meets Styx meets The Eagles. Unfortunately, this made them too commercial for the heavy rock crowd, and too heavy for English pop fans. However, their debut LP, the mighty Time Tells No Lies, is one of the finest discs to have come out of the entire NWoBHM movement. The combination of heavy guitars, melodic vocals and huge hooks was just what made them so great. The entire album is a total classic, but my personal favorite song is Children of the Earth. Everything about this song is just perfect. This is probably what Maiden would’ve sounded like in 1982 if Dennis Stratton (who would later play in Praying Mantis as well) had gotten his way and they would’ve gone the more radio friendly route. That opening riff is just heavenly… and that guitar solo! This whole song is just plain infectious, there’s no other way to put it. The rest of the album is just as good, but this is just my personal favorite. If you like your metal melodic and with pop sensibilities, you’ll probably love this!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 5:39 am

That Arc track sounds like something I have heard before but can't place...riff'o'mania! Never heard of Bleak House, good track. Yep metal-licka sounds same.. Saracen epic. Sounds bit like a tune from Jesus Christ Superstar, personally I got a bit bored. Praying Mantis rock! Anyone else know Damacles track Burnin' White Hot from '84 I think? Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 445525 Cheers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 4:39 pm

Time Tells No Lies is a must have imo. Hey, an album I finally really know about.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 7:22 am

Yeah, Time Tells No Lies is definitely one of the best NWoBHM LPs. I absolutely love that album. It's up there with Maiden's finest imo.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 11:14 am

Dave, this has been an excellent read. Great choices in here. Some I've heard, plenty more I have not. You've certainly did your homework on this topic. Nice job and keep up the good work.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 11:33 am

Glad you've been enjoying it. It'll only get better though, haha.

8. Hell - Save Us From Those Who Would Save Us
"Save Us From Those Who Would Save Us" 7"

This was another really hard choice. Hell have always been one of my favorite NWoBHM bands, and for good reason! It's no wonder why these guys were seen as one of the finest bands in the early 80s, as Hell combined theatrical performances (featuring costume changes, exorcism rituals, spoken word passages, firebreathing, choreography etc. Basically an occult, demented version of KISS!) and scorching occult themed heavy metal. Back in the day they were often called a thinking man's Venom.

Musically they were rather hard to describe. The song featured here, Save Us From Those Who Would Save Us (now that's a mouthful innit?) is among the most ferocious songs from that period, and it gave American thrash bands like Metallica and Slayer a run for their money (actually, it was released before either band released their full length LP). Other songs, like Macbeth, On Earth as it is in Hell and Blasphemy & The Master are more epic. But I digress, back to Save Us. Musically this song has most in common with a sped up version of Judas Priest, albeit rawer and much more evil sounding. Frontman Dave Halliday's vocals sound like a possessed Geddy Lee (if that makes any sense). This song is just pure ferocity, nothing more to say here. Essential listening.

On a side note, Hell are supposed to release their first and only album later this year. It will feature every original member, except guitarist and vocalist Dave Halliday, as he commited suicide in the late 1980s. This album is actually being produced and recorded by Andy Sneap, the world famous producer, as Dave taught Andy how to play guitar, and he has always said that Hell were the biggest musical influence on him. Good stuff eh?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....   Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS.... - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dave's top 50 best NWoBHM songs... AND NUMBER ONE IS....
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next