Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gothic Metal

Go down 
+7
MetalRob331
Black Coffee
Gilbert
GrandNational
Metallic Blaze
tohostudios
DallasBlack
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Gothic Metal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 3:50 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Amorphis contains nothing resembling properties of anything 'gothic',

Simply a matter of opinion as is mine that they are.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 3:55 pm

T-Roy wrote:
I'm not sure I really even know what Goth metal is. And I think I'm even less aware after listening to the linked songs and reading this thread.
lol!

Heart of Metal.
"If you're not confused when you get here, we'll fix ya right up!"
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 4:00 pm

It basically sounds like powermetal to me with lots of keys. With some death growls and other deathy influences. Is that right? I'd like to explore this genre more as it's one I've never listened to. But based off those linked songs...I really don't think I'll like it. There's not enough...how was it put "WHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH" and it seems overloaded with synths. Is this correct?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 4:01 pm

T-Roy wrote:
"WHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH"

I think you'll find the preferred spelling is "WOOOOOOAARRRRRRRGH"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 4:04 pm

AH YES....THAT! headbanger
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 4:08 pm

T-Roy wrote:
It basically sounds like powermetal to me with lots of keys. With some death growls and other deathy influences. Is that right? I'd like to explore this genre more as it's one I've never listened to. But based off those linked songs...I really don't think I'll like it. There's not enough...how was it put "WHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH" and it seems overloaded with synths. Is this correct?

Some do and some don't. The bands that are overloaded with synths are the symphonic bands. While I do like them, I prefer bands whose melody is mostly supplied by guitars (keys should only be used to enhance the music not drive it IMO). Also not all bands have death vocals and your right they are limited and clean vocals are used more often than not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 4:09 pm

OK, if I make sure to differentiate "Goth" from "gothic", I think I can buy into Paradise Lost and Sentenced being gothic Metal...I see the difference.

Amorphis, on the other hand, are folk/progressive Metal...I would not use gothic to describe them at all...
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 4:37 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

What are your individual reasons though? Me, I simply say it because they simply don't possess the overwhelming longing, romantic, and often artfully hopeless aesthetics that say Sirenia or the bands I linked to for example, do. Lyrically and musically. The light/shade in terms of vocals don't do it, though it is indeed an oft-used tool..for good reasoning.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 4:59 pm

And then on the more outside appearance, when bands fit into a style they usually need to bear enough resemblance to the originators, in this case things like say Bauhaus, Siouxie, the Sisters, etc, (not normal, but gothic rock has to be used since it fed a direct line into the metal stuff), and I never hear that in Amorphis. Still a great band, but for the many hats they were I just never found that in their music..
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 6:05 pm

MEANWHILE.....back at the Ranch. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:41 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

What are your individual reasons though? Me, I simply say it because they simply don't possess the overwhelming longing, romantic, and often artfully hopeless aesthetics that say Sirenia or the bands I linked to for example, do. Lyrically and musically. The light/shade in terms of vocals don't do it, though it is indeed an oft-used tool..for good reasoning.

Apart from how the music makes me feel, gothic metal is usually described as being musically dark and somber and that IMO fits Silent Waters and Skyforger. And my personal description of gothic metal is music that is dark, beautiful, and melodic without being overly heavy which also fits the music on those two albums (and even started as far back as Tales... but was toned way down on Elegy but came back with Tuonela). Even the album cover of Silent Waters looks gothic in natrue. I am not alone in this thinking either, here are some reviews that use Gothic to describe some of the music contained in the aforementioned albums:

http://noiz.wordpress.com/2009/07/05/amorphis-%E2%80%93-skyforger-2009/
http://www.chroniclesofchaos.com/reviews/albums/2-5000_amorphis_silent_waters.aspx
http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=5611
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=19178
http://uk.real.com/music/artist/Amorphis/
http://www.infernalmasquerade.com/?q=reviews/00273-amorphis-skyforger-2009

I'm not basing my opinion off of other's I'm just showing that I'm not alone in how I interpret the music. Again they aren't full on gothic, it is mixed with equal parts progressive and folk but to me it is there.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 2:37 am

Let's remember - genre labels can be a touchy subject. To a very large degree genre descriptions are based on opinions.

It's never worth arguing over, so I don't.

I just let things like this go. It's no big deal anyway how we each might perceive something differently.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 7:21 am

Let's just call it all Metal... Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Winger, Motorhead, Isis, Cannibal Corpse, Tool, Queensryche, Emporer, Dokken, Ultimatum, Pig Destroyer, Epica, Iced Earth, Prostitute Disfigurement, Poison and Hatebreed...all Metal.

How's that?
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 10:24 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Poison
I think I LOVE you!!! \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 3:46 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Winger, Motorhead, Isis, Cannibal Corpse, Tool, Queensryche, Emporer, Dokken, Ultimatum, Pig Destroyer, Epica, Iced Earth, Prostitute Disfigurement, Poison and Hatebreed...all Metal.

How's that?

For the most part I agree. I just use genres so I can find bands similar to one another. But let's face it, it's all hard rock.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 5:09 pm

Only Tankard, AC/DC, and similar can fall under the 'HARD rock' tag, as they most frequently utilize a liquor theme in their songs. Most bands are generally non-alcohol themed and can thus be classified as 'soft' rock.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 3:32 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Only Tankard, AC/DC, and similar can fall under the 'HARD rock' tag, as they most frequently utilize a liquor theme in their songs. Most bands are generally non-alcohol themed and can thus be classified as 'soft' rock.

Gothic Metal - Page 2 685534 You baffle me sir.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 3:38 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

How's that?

Gothic Metal - Page 2 25679
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 5:41 am

It's all about the alcohol content. Gothic Metal - Page 2 778825 Gothic Metal - Page 2 472591 Gothic Metal - Page 2 Drunken_smilie
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 06, 2010 8:41 am

Pantera for example boldly titled an album '100 Proof', however, when one delves into the material, we find boldly spoken booze centered content to be lacking in comparison to the giants of the genre. Thus we would classify the band as '*mildly* hard rock'. A meek 20 proof. Jimmy Buffet is somewhere around 90 proof *hard* rock.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gothic Metal
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2